Once Saved, Always Saved - Not According to This Lady Who Went to Hell

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Once Saved, Always Saved - Not According to This Lady Who Went to Hell

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:03 am
claysmithr wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 am
RickD wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 am
claysmithr wrote:
How about this logic: Only God knows the future and who will apostatize. We are spiritually alive until we are spiritually dead. A Christian possesses eternal life and if they finish their race they will inherit it. A Christian who doesn't finish the race and dies spiritually will not inherit it. Mystery solved.
RickD wrote:
So, in this scenario, what exactly does one have to do, or not do, to “finish the race”.
claysmithr wrote:
Die as a Christian to finish the race.
What I mean is how in this scenario, does one remain a Christian? What does one have to do, or not do, to insure that one remains a Christian until death?
Keep the faith and not apostatize, it's really quite simple.
So, in other words, your view of (keeping)salvation is based on our performance, not on God’s promise to keep us secure?
Not performance, as if it was something we can earn, faith is a gift, but in order to receive the gift you have to accept it. It's a matter of spiritual life and death. If you are a Christian and renounce the Christian faith before you die and never return to the faith as a prodigal son, that's spiritual death that will lead to the second death. While the person is alive there is always hope for their life. After death, the deal is sealed. The bible calls us to keep the faith until the end, to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, and to run the race until the finish line.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

See what Dr. Michael Heiser thinks about this debate about whether salvation can be lost: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43450
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote:
Not performance, as if it was something we can earn, faith is a gift, but in order to receive the gift you have to accept it.
Faith is a gift? The Bible says that eternal life is a gift, but faith?
If you are a Christian and renounce the Christian faith before you die and never return to the faith as a prodigal son, that's spiritual death that will lead to the second death.
So, you’re saying that our sin of renouncing the Christian Faith is more powerful than God’s promise to keep those who are his? If God can’t keep those that He said he would, is God a liar?
The bible calls us to keep the faith until the end
This is a cherry picked verse that has nothing to do with individual salvation/eternal life.
to work out our salvation with fear and trembling
This verse doesn’t mean we have to work to KEEP our salvation. God has already done everything to accomplish that, through Christ’s atoning work.
and to run the race until the finish line.
Again, this isn’t about keeping ourselves saved.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I mean faith goes hand and hand with eternal life. For in faith you believe in eternal life. So why is there a need to repent if someone was never saved to begin with. If we save we have to repent. One OSAS isn't a reason to sin of course. Anyone who sins needs to repent. We all need to pray to go. Also why true the word of one person.We also need death experiences for some many people. Who meet different gods.