Watch! Jesus Commanded Us For The End

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Davy
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes

Watch! Jesus Commanded Us For The End

Post by Davy »

There are some folks that put out very disconcerting information against our Lord Jesus' command for us to be on watch for the signs of the end and of His return. Some brethren have gone into confusion because of trying to listen to others who 'seem' educated, or smart, or look like they ought to be in the know because of, title, position, education, etc.

I'm not against education, but too much of it can get in the way of understanding God's Word in simplicity. A quick look at some of the long commentaries of some Bible scholars easily reveals this when they get wrapped up in a Biblical symbol and go through as much ancient history as possible about it when our Lord is simply using it according to its original nature (like the scorpion symbol in Revelation 9).

I often refer other Bible students to Bible study software like BibleSoft, a favorite study software used by many pastors. I had an old version of it with minimal Bible study tools, but I wound up mostly using three of them, the KJV Bible, the Strong's Concordance, and the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge cross-reference. When I got a later version of the software, the number of free tools added outnumbered the old version almost 10 to 1. I only sometimes used one or two of the newer tools, like the Brown, Driver, & Briggs Hebrew lexicon, and the Englishman's Concordance, but that's about all. You can do this with different study Bibles also, each one giving you a different commentary on a Scripture. So how many of those would you have to read and study to come to the Truth in God's Word?

It's much better to do things God's Way. Apostle Paul told Timothy to "study to show thyself approved of God, a workman who needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15). In Isaiah 28, God showed that His Word is line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little. He showed that way would be like a stumbling to the rulers in Jerusalem, and they would fall backward, be snared, and taken (i.e., in deception).

Apostle Peter remarked how those would stumble at Christ, and how they were appointed to that stumbling at Jesus. But we certainly are not to stumble:

1 Peter 2:7-10
7 Unto you therefore which believe He is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
KJV