God's eradication of evil societies

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Post Reply
j0hnnyB0y
Newbie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

God's eradication of evil societies

#1

Post by j0hnnyB0y » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 am

The Bible tells us, in the old testament, how there were very evil societies that were neighbouring to God's people.God completely destroyed them.
Some Theologians say that this was to protect the evil from spreading to God's people.

Jesus told us that the world now has the Holy Spirit that convicts us all of sin, due to His sacrifice for us.
Could it be that these old societies did not have the Holy Spirit convicting them of sin, so they had no conscience at all.
Therefore they could not be saved?

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9702
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 594 times
Been liked: 617 times

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#2

Post by Kurieuo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:50 am

Where does Jesus say what?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#3

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

j0hnnyB0y wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 am
The Bible tells us, in the old testament, how there were very evil societies that were neighbouring to God's people.God completely destroyed them.
Some Theologians say that this was to protect the evil from spreading to God's people.

Jesus told us that the world now has the Holy Spirit that convicts us all of sin, due to His sacrifice for us.
Could it be that these old societies did not have the Holy Spirit convicting them of sin, so they had no conscience at all.
Therefore they could not be saved?
Most people have a sense of right and wrong, including ones of those societies.
I do wonder why it was ok to bring slave girls though not good to keep babies or cattle from the tribes they killed off. I hope God explains because this one is rather difficult.

Davy
Familiar Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#4

Post by Davy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 am

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

I do wonder why it was ok to bring slave girls though not good to keep babies or cattle from the tribes they killed off. I hope God explains because this one is rather difficult.
What are you referring to?

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#5

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Davy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

I do wonder why it was ok to bring slave girls though not good to keep babies or cattle from the tribes they killed off. I hope God explains because this one is rather difficult.
What are you referring to?
Don't recall right now but I think it was when Joshua was waging war with the corrupted nations around. I recall slave girls would be taken care of yet in other instances babies and cattle who were technically innocent were killed, which I don't understand.

Davy
Familiar Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#6

Post by Davy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Don't recall right now but I think it was when Joshua was waging war with the corrupted nations around. I recall slave girls would be taken care of yet in other instances babies and cattle who were technically innocent were killed, which I don't understand.
Look at Deuteronomy 20 again. The nations outside the lands of Canaan Israel was to offer to make peace, but if the city chose war instead, Israel was to destroy the men only. But for the lands of the nations of Canaan which God named, Israel was to leave alive nothing that breathed (because of the giants that dwelt in those lands and the iniquity of the Canaanites). Per Judges 2 & 3, the children of Israel failed in God's commandment to destroy all the Canaanite peoples which God had named. So God said He would use them to test Israel with, leaving them to dwell among Israel.

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7087
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#7

Post by Philip » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:20 am

Kid: Don't recall right now but I think it was when Joshua was waging war with the corrupted nations around. I recall slave girls would be taken care of yet in other instances babies and cattle who were technically innocent were killed, which I don't understand.
Kid, you would really benefit from reading this book!

Image

https://www.amazon.com/God-Moral-Monste ... 0801072751

j0hnnyB0y
Newbie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#8

Post by j0hnnyB0y » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:40 am

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am
j0hnnyB0y wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 am
The Bible tells us, in the old testament, how there were very evil societies that were neighbouring to God's people.God completely destroyed them.
Some Theologians say that this was to protect the evil from spreading to God's people.

Jesus told us that the world now has the Holy Spirit that convicts us all of sin, due to His sacrifice for us.
Could it be that these old societies did not have the Holy Spirit convicting them of sin, so they had no conscience at all.
Therefore they could not be saved?
Most people have a sense of right and wrong, including ones of those societies.
I do wonder why it was ok to bring slave girls though not good to keep babies or cattle from the tribes they killed off. I hope God explains because this one is rather difficult.
If the unbelievers sense of right and wrong was enough in the old testament, then what was the reason for releasing the Holy Spirit on the world?
John 16:8 "and He when He comes will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgement" ?
The Israelis had a stronger sense of right and wrong as they followed God. So it could be the case that God no longer has to
eradicate societies like Sodom and the Baal worshippers to protect believers from their influence, as they are now protected by the Holy Spirit .

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#9

Post by thatkidakayoungguy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am

j0hnnyB0y wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:40 am
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am
j0hnnyB0y wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 am
The Bible tells us, in the old testament, how there were very evil societies that were neighbouring to God's people.God completely destroyed them.
Some Theologians say that this was to protect the evil from spreading to God's people.

Jesus told us that the world now has the Holy Spirit that convicts us all of sin, due to His sacrifice for us.
Could it be that these old societies did not have the Holy Spirit convicting them of sin, so they had no conscience at all.
Therefore they could not be saved?
Most people have a sense of right and wrong, including ones of those societies.
I do wonder why it was ok to bring slave girls though not good to keep babies or cattle from the tribes they killed off. I hope God explains because this one is rather difficult.
If the unbelievers sense of right and wrong was enough in the old testament, then what was the reason for releasing the Holy Spirit on the world?
John 16:8 "and He when He comes will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgement" ?
The Israelis had a stronger sense of right and wrong as they followed God. So it could be the case that God no longer has to
eradicate societies like Sodom and the Baal worshippers to protect believers from their influence, as they are now protected by the Holy Spirit .
I suppose that makes sense. But the Holy Spirit has appeared in old testament times.

Davy
Familiar Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Re: God's eradication of evil societies

#10

Post by Davy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:53 pm

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am

I suppose that makes sense. But the Holy Spirit has appeared in old testament times.
But The Holy Spirit was not given to all among Israel in those times. And those times involved the old covenant, which the meaning of Torah is like an arrow, pointing to the coming of Christ and the New Covenant.

Post Reply