Trinity. What is the difference between Being and persons?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Trinity. What is the difference between Being and persons?

Post by Christian2 »

The Trinity teaches there is one Being in three persons.

What is the difference between Being and persons?

Thank you.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Trinity. What is the difference between Being and persons?

Post by RickD »

I'd recommend reading this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41367&hilit=Trinity

And start with this video that Kurieuo posted:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I'm not so certain the word "Persons" is the best to use, when it comes to God's Trinity. Identities, perhaps? Manifestations? Using "person" is too associated with a separate being.

Interestingly, there is this definition of the online Merriam Websters: Person: "One of the three modes of being in the Trinitarian Godhead as understood by Christians."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Interestingly, there is this definition of the online Merriam Websters: Person: "One of the three modes of being in the Trinitarian Godhead as understood by Christians."
That sounds like Modalism. Not Trinitarianism.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian2 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 am The Trinity teaches there is one Being in three persons.

What is the difference between Being and persons?

Thank you.
That is the Social Trinitarian conception of God, God is three in Who God is, yet unitary in What God is.

It should be said though, that in saying God is one Being, we're not saying God possesses a being of some sort. That would be to predicate God upon "being", which would then make God contingent upon His being in some way. God is spirit, and by that we don't mean God has a spiritual body, but rather God's nature is immaterial in a strict metaphysical sense.

An issue with trying to define God is that the moment we start to define God we're anthropmorphising Him. We're also appropriating what is eternal and immaterial with what is finite and physical. We're kind of lowering God to our level -- which is likely why the Jewish people didn't speak God's name/God's name is unspeakable for God is undefinable. God is who God is / "I AM WHO I AM". (Exodus 3:14)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

K: It should be said though, that in saying God is one Being, we're not saying God possesses a being of some sort. That would be to predicate God upon "being", which would then make God contingent upon His being in some way. God is spirit, and by that we don't mean God has a spiritual body, but rather God's nature is immaterial in a strict metaphysical sense.
OK, that makes it perfectly clear! :lol:
K: An issue with trying to define God is that the moment we start to define God we're anthropmorphising Him. We're also appropriating what is eternal and immaterial with what is finite and physical. We're kind of lowering God to our level -- which is likely why the Jewish people didn't speak God's name/God's name is unspeakable for God is undefinable. God is who God is / "I AM WHO I AM". (Exodus 3:14)
True - whenever the finite tries to define the Infinite, there will be great inadequacies and inaccuracies. My take is, God is ONE Being Who simply is as He is - which is undefinable with anything more than woefully inadequate generalities. To really understand Him or His Trinity, we'd have to also have HIS mind.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 pm I'm not so certain the word "Persons" is the best to use, when it comes to God's Trinity. Identities, perhaps? Manifestations? Using "person" is too associated with a separate being.

Person denotes personality.
It is important to understand that the Trinity isn't the way that God "manifests" Himself, but the term WE use to "rationalize" the perfect union of 3 persons in ONE being.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

The reality is, God is three persons, He is ONE, and He is unlike no other. So, at some point, all analogies break when used to describe God's Trinity.