Did we choose God or did God choose us? Your personal testimony...

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Did we choose God or did God choose us? Your personal testimony...

Post by Philip »

Nicki: As God's own word says, love is supposed to be expressed in action, not just felt (by the one who loves) and maybe expressed in words.
There is a very good chance we don't always know what is good or bad, FROM AN ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE. Many people, had they not faced some very difficult crisis or circumstance would never otherwise have reached out to God - which was the beginning of their road to salvation. I'm sure those at the foot of the cross thought the most beautiful and important thing in the history of the world (Jesus' great love shown in His selfless sacrifice) thought it was the worst possible thing. But from God's perspective, Jesus going through this was not only very good, but an event that showed His great love in a way that Christians everywhere have been talking about for over 2,000 years now. There are so many connections to things that God has purpose in that we cannot know the purpose or good He has in mind behind them. And God tells us suffering is an essential part of the Christian experience. Think some on these passages: https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical ... suffering/
Nicki
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Did we choose God or did God choose us? Your personal testimony...

Post by Nicki »

1over137 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Nicki wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 am
1over137 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:41 pm 'Bombarded' with God's love, how could anyone resist? ;)

Maybe if someone is hardened against God?
How would you say he was bombarding you with love, or drawing you? We sing a lot of songs at church about God's love, and the ultimate proof of that being Christ dying for us, but I find it increasingly hard to 'feel' his love. As God's own word says, love is supposed to be expressed in action, not just felt (by the one who loves) and maybe expressed in words.
Am still thinking about this, Nicki.

Would you agree that someone can feel peace?
If yes, if God gives peace and we can feel peace, could we also say the same about love?
Probably :) I think words aren't a big love language for me - if someone says 'I love you' I feel as if they're getting more out of that feeling than the other person is! I also think you're onto something there though :)