How could God be Tempted by the devil?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: How could God be Tempted by the devil?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Blessed wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 am
RickD wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 am LOL, No, He is not The Father but since both share the same nature ( the nature of what is God), they are both God.
But ice is not liquid water, therefore ice is not water.

It doesn't matter that both frozen water and liquid water have the same chemical composition. If ice is not liquid, it's not water.

Right Blessed?
:shakehead:
That's a great example. This is what I am talking about. Water, Ice, Vapor, it's not the same now is it... it's three different things ..

Water was first and is therefore God over ice and vapor.
So, your issue is that you believe that the Trinity says that Father and Son are the same person?
It doesn't say that.
Jesus being God is like saying that Tom is Human.
Father, Son and HS are all God just as Tom, Bill and Betty are all human.
Different persons, same nature.

Now, in the case of God, there is only ONE so I can see where things get a little tricky and no is denying that.
That said, there is NO REASON to think that a being can exist as ONE but THREE identities.
If God is Ominpotent ( which He must be if He is God) then God can be anything that God IS.

Remember, the term God is more a "title" or a something that defines attributes ( Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Eternal, etc) than anything else. It isn't a "name".
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

One has to remember, when contemplating the Trinity of God, that there are three persons, all equally God, that make up the One God. And of course that makes little sense to us because we have no comparison - and that is because there is none like God - He is a Being like no other. He also never had a beginning, is eternal, is all-knowing, all-powerful, and unlimited in His capabilities. Simply put, there is none like Him. This is difficult for a human to understand. Yet it is prolifically taught across Scripture!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 am
RickD wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 am LOL, No, He is not The Father but since both share the same nature ( the nature of what is God), they are both God.
But ice is not liquid water, therefore ice is not water.

It doesn't matter that both frozen water and liquid water have the same chemical composition. If ice is not liquid, it's not water.

Right Blessed?
:shakehead:
That's a great example. This is what I am talking about. Water, Ice, Vapor, it's not the same now is it... it's three different things ..

Water was first and is therefore God over ice and vapor.
Blessed,

First let me say that there's no perfect comparison when it comes to the Trinity. All comparisons fail at some point. But the comparison with water is a good one to show that even though frozen water, liquid water, and water vapor are different, they all have the same chemical compound H2O, and are all water. Just like The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are 3 persons, with the same nature, and are all God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

According to the bible Jesus was tempted. The Bible say He was tempted but He didn't sin. So to say He wasn't really tempted is completely unbiblical and wrong.

God the Father and God the Son(Jesus) God the Holy Gost are all God. The problem poeple have with this is. Poeple believe God can only be one being. The Bible does not say that. The Bible say there is one Lord and one God but not one being. People just assume that, but the Bible talks about all three as separate beings in different places completing different tasks at the same time.

There is one God made up of three beings.

I do not go with the belief that the sons of God in the old testament we're angels or any other heavenly being. That all sounds like hog wash to me. If you remember Christians are referred to as sins of God in the new testament. Then if you remember Adam and Eve were told to replenish the Earth before they eat of the tree of good and evil. So Sons of God could have been people who were born before Adam and Eve eat of the fruit. If you also remember the Bible said that God would not always stride with man referring to the time of the sons of God taking daughters of men and He didn't mention anything about the angels or son of God or anything else. It was man that He was angry with. So it would seem that they must of been men not angels.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Sorry, but that is not the trinitarian doctrine jpgb33 ;) -- rather what you just said appears to be a mono-tritheism contradiction.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

K: Sorry, but that is not the trinitarian doctrine jpgb33 ;) -- rather what you just said appears to be a mono-tritheism contradiction.
That's similar to the wrong belief that God is one third Father, a third Son, and a third Holy Spirit - as if any one of the Persons of the Trinity are not fully, 100%. God, then that any of those Persons would be less than God. But ALL three are fully God. Yes, it is very hard to comprehend, but it's what the Bible teaches. But as there is none like God, why wouldn't we expect Him to be unbelievably unique, sometimes hard to understand, and surrounded by mysteries about Himself?
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I guess what I wrote cuold be taken a little bit wrong. I do not believe them to be 1/3 God. I believe they are all 100% God. I believe that God the Father God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are the being and God is what we call them. I believe that they are one in the fact that we do not get three answers to prayers but just one and we do not get three plains for our lives but just one.