Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Post Reply
User avatar
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#76

Post by jenna » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Kurieuo wrote:Jenna, I was serious with my comments. Where did I call a name other than Sir? And the point I made I believe is very relevant. There are stupid questions, and I believe the ones I asked at the end of my own post are just as stupid as the fruits of the Trinity question.
my comments werent directed to you, K. :ewink:
These users liked this post by jenna:
Kurieuo (Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:50 pm)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#77

Post by jenna » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:53 pm

RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:Jenna,

Heresy, as far as theology, is anything that is at odds with my beliefs.

Seriously though, heresy is:
belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine.
i figured as much, that anything heretic would be something against what you believe. in that case i better not say any more, or you might try to burn me at the stake. :P
I hope you know I was joking about saying that heresy is anything that is at odds with what I believe.

And, I'd only burn you at the stake, after you make me a sammich.
hmm. the way i make sammiches, you might burn me BECAUSE i made you one....
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21176
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#78

Post by RickD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:56 pm

jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:Jenna,

Heresy, as far as theology, is anything that is at odds with my beliefs.

Seriously though, heresy is:
belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine.
i figured as much, that anything heretic would be something against what you believe. in that case i better not say any more, or you might try to burn me at the stake. :P
I hope you know I was joking about saying that heresy is anything that is at odds with what I believe.

And, I'd only burn you at the stake, after you make me a sammich.
hmm. the way i make sammiches, you might burn me BECAUSE i made you one....
A woman who can't make a sammich? No such thing. You're obviously lying, as a feeble attempt at getting out of your God given womanly sammich making duties.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#79

Post by jenna » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm

RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:Jenna,

Heresy, as far as theology, is anything that is at odds with my beliefs.

Seriously though, heresy is:
i figured as much, that anything heretic would be something against what you believe. in that case i better not say any more, or you might try to burn me at the stake. :P
I hope you know I was joking about saying that heresy is anything that is at odds with what I believe.

And, I'd only burn you at the stake, after you make me a sammich.
hmm. the way i make sammiches, you might burn me BECAUSE i made you one....
A woman who can't make a sammich? No such thing. You're obviously lying, as a feeble attempt at getting out of your God given womanly sammich making duties.
haha, i didnt say i couldnt make them. i said you wouldnt like the way i do it. :twisted: never make someone mad if they are making your food
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 336 times
Contact:

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#80

Post by Jac3510 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:11 pm

jenna wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I never understood why we ought not call people names. I mean, isn't "Hey Rick" a lot better than "Hey, you with the funny nose"? I call my kids names every day -- Elly and Charlotte (or sometimes Charlie, Chuck, or Chuckles -- when Charlotte is Chuckles, Elly is usually Giggles). I don't call my wife names, though. I know better than that. With her, it's either "Love," "Dear," "Baby," or very often just "Master." 8-}2 y:D
yes it is true we call people names every day. however when those names can be hurtful, i do my best to not do that. i guess i can just call Rick sammich man? y/:]
I know. My wife calls me hurtful names sometimes. It usually happens when she gets mad at me. She says "CHRIS!!!" really, really loud, and it gives me a really bad headache. I ask her not to do that, but that only seems to make it worse. :crying:

Can I have a sammich, too?
These users liked this post by Jac3510:
jenna (Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 pm)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.

User avatar
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#81

Post by jenna » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Jac3510 wrote:
jenna wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I never understood why we ought not call people names. I mean, isn't "Hey Rick" a lot better than "Hey, you with the funny nose"? I call my kids names every day -- Elly and Charlotte (or sometimes Charlie, Chuck, or Chuckles -- when Charlotte is Chuckles, Elly is usually Giggles). I don't call my wife names, though. I know better than that. With her, it's either "Love," "Dear," "Baby," or very often just "Master." 8-}2 y:D
yes it is true we call people names every day. however when those names can be hurtful, i do my best to not do that. i guess i can just call Rick sammich man? y/:]
I know. My wife calls me hurtful names sometimes. It usually happens when she gets mad at me. She says "CHRIS!!!" really, really loud, and it gives me a really bad headache. I ask her not to do that, but that only seems to make it worse. :crying:

Can I have a sammich, too?
but of course! i will make you a good one, only because i feel sorry for you. :lol:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8269
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 619 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#82

Post by Philip » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:16 pm

So, I'll never forget the time she got really mad at me, and called me a "little $hit".
:lol:
Why, is she that tall?

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21176
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#83

Post by RickD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Philip wrote:
So, I'll never forget the time she got really mad at me, and called me a "little $hit".
:lol:
Why, is she that tall?
Here's a recent picture of us:
Image
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8269
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 619 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#84

Post by Philip » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Here's a recent picture of us:

Image

Well, it does look a bit like you might be taking a bit of a poop there. y:-? What is that, one of those new bamboo toilets?

Actually, the only short thing I'd be concerned about is that skirt she's wearing - kind of skimpy, Rick. You need to hide her back in the kitchen, where she belongs.

BTW, I heard about a good job opening for you (ya gotta bring your own helmet!).

Image

User avatar
bbyrd009
BANNED
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#85

Post by bbyrd009 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:11 pm

jenna wrote:
bbyrd009 wrote:me? responding? :lol: you gotta be kidding, right. i'll hold out for some witness of the fruit, wadr, ty.
now wait just a minute. this is your response? really? after all that b.w. and the others went through to try to explain what they believe in and to answer everything you have asked? yX-(2
ok then, i just briefly scanned BWs reply, and i'm not quite seeing how it applies, so i'll sleep on it. I thought i was following good advice, wadr, that being just to shut up and forget about it, lol.

Any doctrine (idea) produces fruit, just as the fruit of...what were we talking about here? Trinity? Yes, just as Trinity doctrine does. So, i'll take the evening to go through the posts here, as this has likely already been resolved in my absence, and the fruit has now prolly been examined from every angle, i guess. so, see you in the am.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9950
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#86

Post by Kurieuo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:53 pm

@bbyrd, I still don't understand the "fruit" thing. Take a look at RickD's quote of Audie in his post signature: "Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives." Sadly, no matter what doctrine or belief there is under the Sun, no matter how true or false, there are still poor representatives in every corner.

What is more important, I believe, is a consistent theology and what is the truth as such.
These users liked this post by Kurieuo:
bbyrd009 (Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#87

Post by crochet1949 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:23 am

Doctrine means 'what does God's Word say on' a given subject. So - what does Scripture say about the Trinity / Godhead. That God is the Father, Jesus Christ is His Son, and the Holy Spirit. And what each part of the Godhead Does based on what Scripture says. Scripture teaches about Many subjects.

User avatar
bbyrd009
BANNED
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#88

Post by bbyrd009 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 am

B. W. wrote:Mat 6:9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father who is me on earth, Hallowed be my name.
My kingdom come. my will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For mine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
Amen.
can you expand on this a little? it is a bit to distilled, perhaps, for me to accept. Do you have another Witness for this pov, or how do you justify the "who is me, on earth" part, iow. ty.

Kurieo, the fruit may perhaps come out here; i guess i am arguing this on another thread, already, so i may end up migrating that, we'll see.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."

User avatar
bbyrd009
BANNED
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Ft Myers, FL
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#89

Post by bbyrd009 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 am

crochet1949 wrote:Doctrine means 'what does God's Word say on' a given subject.
then state your doctrine, and i will state its antithesis, with Witnesses, so that we can clear this misunderstanding up, because while that is what "doctrine" is supposed to be, we obviously have believers with a Trinity doctrine, and believers without, both with Scriptural support, so apparently the definition of "doctrine" is not adhering to your definition of "doctrine."
crochet1949 wrote: So - what does Scripture say about the Trinity / Godhead.
my Bible search yields no return for this phrase.
crochet1949 wrote: That God is the Father, Jesus Christ is His Son, and the Holy Spirit. And what each part of the Godhead Does based on what Scripture says.
ergo, when you pick up your cross and follow Him, you become a savior, also. You become God, not a god, just as i am being advised to pray "Our Father, who is me on earth."

which i don't know if i disagree with that or not, mind, i am not disagreeing, because it depends upon how that is meant.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Understanding the Trinity

#90

Post by crochet1949 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:02 am

bbyrd009 wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Doctrine means 'what does God's Word say on' a given subject.
then state your doctrine, and i will state its antithesis, with Witnesses, so that we can clear this misunderstanding up, because while that is what "doctrine" is supposed to be, we obviously have believers with a Trinity doctrine, and believers without, both with Scriptural support, so apparently the definition of "doctrine" is not adhering to your definition of "doctrine."
crochet1949 wrote: So - what does Scripture say about the Trinity / Godhead.
my Bible search yields no return for this phrase.
crochet1949 wrote: That God is the Father, Jesus Christ is His Son, and the Holy Spirit. And what each part of the Godhead Does based on what Scripture says.
ergo, when you pick up your cross and follow Him, you become a savior, also. You become God, not a god, just as i am being advised to pray "Our Father, who is me on earth."

which i don't know if i disagree with that or not, mind, i am not disagreeing, because it depends upon how that is meant.

What do you mean by 'Witnesses' first of all. You've used that term with 'W' several times in the past. I've never asked about it.

The term 'Godhead' is used in one passage in the NKJ version -- Colossians 2:9 "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;"

Matthew 28:18 - 20. "Go therefore, and make disciples of all he nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

It's the Bible, God's Word teaching / presenting the Tri-unity. the 3 - in- one. The term 'trinity' is Not found in the Bible -- but the teaching -- it's Presence Is definitely There. It is Assumed Because of it's useage.

The first useage is in Genesis -- the creation of Man. 1:26 "Then God said "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness." the 'Us' and 'Our'. Plural. Not singular.

The role of the trinity in our salvation. The Holy Spirit came upon Mary and she conceived and bore the Christ-child.
God became Man and dwelt amongst us. In the Form of Jesus Christ His Son. While here on earth -- Jesus Christ prayed to the Father. God raised His Son from the dead.

BYW -- in another post you said something about people Becoming God. NO. 'We' Never become 'God' or even Mini-Gods.
And, yes, Christians are challenged to pick up our cross daily and follow Him. That does Not mean that we 'become' Jesus Christ / God because He carried a real cross that He was hung on. It Does mean that Christians Are going to have problems in life -- simply because we Do accept Jesus Christ as our personal Savior. We Will have problems because Of that -- so we are to Continue to live our Christian life and continue to Follow God's Word.

Post Reply