who are disciples

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jpbg33
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

who are disciples

Post by jpbg33 »

Christians in general or preachers?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: who are disciples

Post by RickD »

One who follows the teachings of another, is a disciple.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.
(Acts 11:26 ESV)
This shows that the words disciple and Christian mean the same thing. The Bible also says that all Christians are part of one body and are given spiritual gifts that they are to use for the welfare of the whole body. Preaching is just one of these gifts.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Are you really trying to get at who aren't disciples?
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

will I was wonting to know who everyone else thought disciples were. I was told that part of an argument that I was making about something was wrong because what I was basing my argument on was about disciples not Christians.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:will I was wonting to know who everyone else thought disciples were. I was told that part of an argument that I was making about something was wrong because what I was basing my argument on was about disciples not Christians.
No you weren't.

You mind showing me where I ever said disciples aren't Christians?

I think you're confused about what I said. Or, maybe I wasn't clear enough about what I said.

Without knowing specifically what we were talking about, I can only give you an idea of what it might've been.

You took certain bible verses that show how we should live as a disciple of Christ, and misinterpreted them to mean that if one isn't doing what it said, then one isn't saved. The verses were telling Christians, those already saved, how to live as a disciple the way God tells us.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Disciple essentially means student. Many, if not most in modern Christendom conflate believer to disciple. The apostle Paul (our apostle, btw) never does so. He never instructs anyone to be a disciple, not once. The 12 were disciples of Jesus. That is, they sat directly under the teaching of Jesus. They were instructed to go and make disciples of all nations. But if you make a disciple, YOU are the teacher, and the student is a disciple of one whose authority they sit under. IMO, this was fulfilled at pentecost as Acts 2 attests that Jews from EVERY nation were gathered to here Peter's sermon.

Consider that the 12 were instructed to do this prior to the calling of Paul. Paul was called by God to be the apostle to the Gentiles. In other words, he was chosen to provide the doctrine under which we are to be discipled or instructed.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious