salvation and works

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: salvation and works

#31

Post by jpbg33 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:24 am

No basically what I am saying is if it is not sweet it is not sugar. If there is no evidence that you are a Christian then you probably are not a Christian.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21718
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1118 times

Re: salvation and works

#32

Post by RickD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:35 am

jpbg33 wrote:No basically what I am saying is if it is not sweet it is not sugar. If there is no evidence that you are a Christian then you probably are not a Christian.
I know what you are saying, because you keep saying it. You are putting a qualifier on salvation. Evidence. And apparently you are the judge of if someone shows enough evidence to be saved, when you said:
The way we talk, the way we treat others, the way we dress, and the way we conduct our every day lives are all part of a Christians life and show our love for God. If I can't tell you are a Christian in any of these ways then you are not a Christian.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: salvation and works

#33

Post by jpbg33 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:40 am

I am not saying any thing that the bible doesn't say I'm basing my belief in God on the whole bible not just the parts I like.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21718
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1118 times

Re: salvation and works

#34

Post by RickD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 am

jpbg33 wrote:I am not saying any thing that the bible doesn't say I'm basing my belief in God on the whole bible not just the parts I like.
Could it be possible that what you think the bible is saying, it is not really saying? Is there a teeny tiny, remote possibility that you are interpreting the bible wrong?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: salvation and works

#35

Post by jpbg33 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:49 am

I do not know of any other way to interpret sinneth not any other way but that they do not sin or he that sinneth is of the devil but to interpret that but that they not of God but the devil, and so no and so forth.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21718
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1118 times

Re: salvation and works

#36

Post by RickD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:05 pm

jpbg33 wrote:I do not know of any other way to interpret sinneth not any other way but that they do not sin or he that sinneth is of the devil but to interpret that but that they not of God but the devil, and so no and so forth.
Could it be that a believer's new nature(spirit), which is born of God, doesn't sin? While our flesh, which is still a part of us in this life, sins? And our spirit is in a kind of "civil war" with our flesh?

That way, what seems like a contradiction, really isn't.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 340 times

Re: salvation and works

#37

Post by Storyteller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:22 pm

jpbg33 wrote:No basically what I am saying is if it is not sweet it is not sugar. If there is no evidence that you are a Christian then you probably are not a Christian.
Evidence for who?

God, and only God can really judge whether we are Christian.

Salvation does not depend on anything we do, if it did then none (or very few) of us would be saved. Once saved, always saved, that is what Christ promised.

I'm wondering if youre thinking of people who claim to be Christian yet show very few qualities of what we consider Christian? But even then, we have no way of knowing if they are saved, its between them and God.
We cannot, and should not, judge. Only God has that right.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: salvation and works

#38

Post by jpbg33 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Those verses were not talking about the spirit of a Christian because he was talking about the Christians them selves. Knowing is not judging. Your right very few people would be saved and that is what he bible says "Mat_7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.". according to the bible just a few people are going to make it. If once saved always saved were true then most people would make it.

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 340 times

Re: salvation and works

#39

Post by Storyteller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:37 pm

I disagree.

The only way to God is through Jesus, nothing we do.

Once saved always saved is true, the reason perhaps just a few will make it is because not everyone believes.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
Rob
Valued Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: salvation and works

#40

Post by Rob » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm sure there will be a LOT of people in heaven, but few in comparison to every human that has ever lived on the face of the earth.

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3053
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 340 times

Re: salvation and works

#41

Post by Storyteller » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Agreed.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: salvation and works

#42

Post by abelcainsbrother » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: salvation and works

#43

Post by jpbg33 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 am

I'm not referring to once saved all ways saved in this post. I am taking about how Christians live once they are saved whether they can loose it or not. there is one pacific thing that Jesus tells us to do as Christians. He said to pick up your cross and follow him. I think that cross is your works and how you carry your cross is by not doing the things that the flesh wants to do. So I think if you are a real Christian than you will live right whether you can loose your salvation or not. if you are doing it keep from loose your salvation then you are doing it for the wrong reason. You are suppose to be doing it because you love God and if you are not doing it then I don't think you really love God.

User avatar
Rob
Valued Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: salvation and works

#44

Post by Rob » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:46 am

On the Atlantic side of things, I think "picking up your cross" is a symbol of likely persecution for being a follower of Christ.

jpbg33
Senior Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: salvation and works

#45

Post by jpbg33 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:01 am

Actually that can not be because every Christian must carry there cross. That statement was for every Christian not just for the ones that are be killed. We put all pick up our cross or we are not following Jesus. Paul said he crucified the flesh daily. Carrying your cross is about doing right even though your flesh doesn't wont to.

Post Reply