Exactly what is the Gospel?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Exactly what is the Gospel?

Post by Christian2 »

We know that "gospel" means good news.

What is the good news Jesus brought?

Thanks.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Exactly what is the Gospel?

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian2 wrote:We know that "gospel" means good news.

Thanks.
Jeremiah 31:34
Romans 3:21-24
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

That all the believe in Him will have eternal life.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

You had to be simple didn't you? ;)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Kurieuo wrote:You had to be simple didn't you? ;)
The reason I brought this subject up was that some members of my church have a different. Several said it was "doing unto others, etc."

Let's see if we agree with this.

The Gospel is:

The fulfillment or days and establishment of the Kingdom of God. Mk 1.14-15 , Lk 4.43, Mt 4.17. Lk 9.1, Lk 10.1, Mt 6.33

Even after the resurrection Jesus was still on message Acts 1.3

Phillip still preaching kingdom Acts 8.12

I would also add John 3:16 and what happened at the cross.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Acts 10:34-43
Gentiles Hear the Good News
34 So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36 As for the word that he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all), 37 you yourselves know what happened throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism that John proclaimed: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses of all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree, 40 but God raised him on the third day and made him to appear, 41 not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

1over137 wrote:Acts 10:34-43
Gentiles Hear the Good News
34 So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36 As for the word that he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all), 37 you yourselves know what happened throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism that John proclaimed: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses of all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree, 40 but God raised him on the third day and made him to appear, 41 not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
This is a great account. Cornelius had to head of the death and resurrection before he received the Holy Spirit. Jesus' death and resurrection are a very important part of the Gospel.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian2 wrote:
The reason I brought this subject up was that some members of my church have a different. Several said it was "doing unto others, etc."
My comment was actually in relation to PS.
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

The posts have clearly said what the Gospel is, but what is it to you?
Why have it or need it?

Jesus said that it may divide your house, separate from loved ones, lose your possessions and your life.
That's hardly good news?

Some large popular churches offer "God on your side bringing blessings, success, health, wealth and happiness"

So which is it the lottery win or losing all?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:

The Gospel is:

The fulfillment or days and establishment of the Kingdom of God. Mk 1.14-15 , Lk 4.43, Mt 4.17. Lk 9.1, Lk 10.1, Mt 6.33

There is only on gospel BUT, of course, there are many ways of understanding it AND preaching it AND what parts to focus on at any given time/sermon.
They all MUST, however, center on Christ and what HE DID and NOT on what we can/should do, know what I mean?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Christian2 wrote:

The Gospel is:

Add in Dr. Hana's quote from Acts:
1over137 wrote:Acts 10:34-43, Gentiles Hear the Good News

Then on to Starhunters points:
Starhunter wrote:The posts have clearly said what the Gospel is, but what is it to you?
Why have it or need it?

Jesus said that it may divide your house, separate from loved ones, lose your possessions and your life.
That's hardly good news?

Some large popular churches offer "God on your side bringing blessings, success, health, wealth and happiness"

So which is it the lottery win or losing all?
The gospel will divide people and uncover the true motives of the heart because it will bring to light those that will run boldly to the throne of Grace and those that refuse.

Note Heb 4:12,13,14,15,16 and Mat 10:36, "and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THOSE OF HIS OWN HOUSEHOLD." NKJV (not this explains what the next verse Matt 10:37 means...)

In other words, the gospel message is God's calling to humankind sent to divide and seal the profane as profane, and also to bring together and seal those who turn to God as God's own special possession. The gospel will cause persecution, division, as it reveals who belongs to the devil's alluring darkness from those who belong to God's light. It divides the sheep from the goats, the wheat from the tares, the lazy from the diligent, obsessive idols from real honest love for God, and light from darkness (John 3:18,19,21)

Those that teach the gospel by making the bible into a magic lamp one rubs to produce a jesus genie to grant every whim are also being exposed, separated, divided by the gospel because it exposes the idols of the heart they can't hide. They are called to repent from such abuse. The gospel calls on them to turn away but will they remains to be seen. The bible is not a magic lamp that you rub and quote promises out loud long and hard enough so that the genie jesus appears to grant you a a flat screen TV, a Mercedes Benz, and all the esteem of men. That is not the gospel but rather demonstrates how the gospel brings to light the hidden motives of the human heart so that believers will be transformed as Rom 8:29,30 and Rom 12:1,2,3 says and thus those that are dark are revealed, separated.

In other words, sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit is also part and parcel of the Gospel and not an option. Sanctification happens naturally in the life of the christian as that is what the gospel teaches concerning the work of the Holy Spirit who seals a believer. So add this to the items already listed and we discover that the Gospel is much larger and living than any of us really realize.

With this, let's continue look at Matt 10:34-39 from the NKJV a bit further:

Mat 10:34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

(Note Heb 4:12,13,14,15,16)

Mat 10:35-36, For I have come to 'SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW'; 36 and 'A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THOSE OF HIS OWN HOUSEHOLD.'

(Note: the above two verses explain the next verses and actually clarify their meanings)

Mat 10:37, He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

These verses refer to those in one's own household who have become enemies of Jesus Christ. Jesus calls to us to leave them behind and not be influenced to stay with such because such will corrupt as 1 Co 15:33 and 1 Co 6:9,10,11 mentions. It does not justify how one can leave their spouse or children behind to nobly preach the gospel by means of divorce and neglect as this text has been used many times to justify such actions. The bible does not teach this. If those in one's household is not a believer and is not an enemy of Christ, they can still be won over to Jesus in due time. This text has been abused many times to justify divorce and family neglect and serves as another example of how the word of God divides asunder the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Many ministers loses interest in their spouses and seek another model to take their place because their mates are not as spiritual as they are, or a bit saggy with age and use this text to justify the doing this deed. What they fail to do is to bring and train up their own house in the Lord - slowly raising them to more levels spiritual maturity. One last word on this: an enemy of Christ is made known and often can be very abusive and when such physical/emotional abuse occurs, one can leave as the abuse reveals the abuser as an enemy of the gospel as they refuse the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit sent to teach how to love and respect each other as well as not be violent. See Col 3:19-21, Eph 5:24-27 for more on this.

Lastly, another aspect of the Gospel is also summed up in Isaiah 61:1-4 NLT. The NLT version makes a good read of what Jesus quoted in Luke chapter Four.

The gospel in a nutshell is about reconciliation back to God, restoration, division, empowerment, change, increasing hope, love, and faith in the Lord, and a bright future of eternal life with God as opposed to eternal life without God; hence separating the profane from those made Holy by God by his work and not ours alone.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

What a powerful response, you certainly are a straight shooter BW.

People talk about "being saved" by the Gospel, we know they are saved from damnation, but is there anything else they are saved from in this life?
You've already mentioned that people can ignore the need for the spirit of grace to change their behaviors,
and we can view the Gospel work as a momentary response, but does it work for everyday adjustments and necessary changes?
And if so, how does the Gospel sanctify?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks for the post B.W. I hope you are right.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

Christian2 wrote:We know that "gospel" means good news.

Thanks.
The gospel, seems to mean whatever someone wants it to mean..................
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

The good news is that Jesus already did everything for us and paid the price for our salvation for anybody who will believe in Jesus and that he will save you right now if you ask him to.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.