How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Blessed
Valued Member
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#76

Post by Blessed » Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 am

Kenny wrote:
Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm
He didn’t even tell his followers to write anything down? Instead years after Jesus was killed, various people began to write stories about Jesus and of course all the stories were not on one accord, so many years later other men (cannon) decided/voted on which stories were accurate and which ones were not and they used the ones they decided were good to be a part of the Bible. But if Jesus had written the bible, there would be no voting, guessing, deciding, by flawed men; God would have done the deciding. So what do you think the reason is?

Ken
Christianity was persecuted. I'm not sure how this would've effected books made during Jesus's time or shortly after. That "stories" about Jesus were written years after Jesus's death has always been a hearsay and rumor but I've never seen any concrete evidence specifically proving the earliest available books were the FIRST books.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20923
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#77

Post by RickD » Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am

Blessed wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 am
Kenny wrote:
Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm
He didn’t even tell his followers to write anything down? Instead years after Jesus was killed, various people began to write stories about Jesus and of course all the stories were not on one accord, so many years later other men (cannon) decided/voted on which stories were accurate and which ones were not and they used the ones they decided were good to be a part of the Bible. But if Jesus had written the bible, there would be no voting, guessing, deciding, by flawed men; God would have done the deciding. So what do you think the reason is?

Ken
Christianity was persecuted. I'm not sure how this would've effected books made during Jesus's time or shortly after. That "stories" about Jesus were written years after Jesus's death has always been a hearsay and rumor but I've never seen any concrete evidence specifically proving the earliest available books were the FIRST books.
Good point Kenny. If Jesus had physically written a book or books of the Bible, an autobiography so to speak, there would be no problems at all. Nobody would deny that Jesus wrote it. Nobody would deny Jesus existed. Nobody would deny that Jesus is God.

That would've been so much different than the way it is now!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#78

Post by mrtzur2015 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 am

RickD wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am
Blessed wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 am
Kenny wrote:
Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm
He didn’t even tell his followers to write anything down? Instead years after Jesus was killed, various people began to write stories about Jesus and of course all the stories were not on one accord, so many years later other men (cannon) decided/voted on which stories were accurate and which ones were not and they used the ones they decided were good to be a part of the Bible. But if Jesus had written the bible, there would be no voting, guessing, deciding, by flawed men; God would have done the deciding. So what do you think the reason is?

Ken
Christianity was persecuted. I'm not sure how this would've effected books made during Jesus's time or shortly after. That "stories" about Jesus were written years after Jesus's death has always been a hearsay and rumor but I've never seen any concrete evidence specifically proving the earliest available books were the FIRST books.
Good point Kenny. If Jesus had physically written a book or books of the Bible, an autobiography so to speak, there would be no problems at all. Nobody would deny that Jesus wrote it. Nobody would deny Jesus existed. Nobody would deny that Jesus is God.

That would've been so much different than the way it is now!
I don’t see how one can deny that Jesus existed or that he’s God.
And basicallly it is him who wrote the Bible inspiring it through his spirit. Hence the Word of God.. is Jesus.
For me it’s very real. The proof is there. Those who don’t see it just don’t want to.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20923
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#79

Post by RickD » Sun May 06, 2018 10:41 am

mrtzur2015 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 am
RickD wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am
Blessed wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:16 am
Kenny wrote:
Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm
He didn’t even tell his followers to write anything down? Instead years after Jesus was killed, various people began to write stories about Jesus and of course all the stories were not on one accord, so many years later other men (cannon) decided/voted on which stories were accurate and which ones were not and they used the ones they decided were good to be a part of the Bible. But if Jesus had written the bible, there would be no voting, guessing, deciding, by flawed men; God would have done the deciding. So what do you think the reason is?

Ken
Christianity was persecuted. I'm not sure how this would've effected books made during Jesus's time or shortly after. That "stories" about Jesus were written years after Jesus's death has always been a hearsay and rumor but I've never seen any concrete evidence specifically proving the earliest available books were the FIRST books.
Good point Kenny. If Jesus had physically written a book or books of the Bible, an autobiography so to speak, there would be no problems at all. Nobody would deny that Jesus wrote it. Nobody would deny Jesus existed. Nobody would deny that Jesus is God.

That would've been so much different than the way it is now!
I don’t see how one can deny that Jesus existed or that he’s God.
And basicallly it is him who wrote the Bible inspiring it through his spirit. Hence the Word of God.. is Jesus.
For me it’s very real. The proof is there. Those who don’t see it just don’t want to.
What I don't understand, is how someone who believes Jesus is God, doesn't show Jesus the proper respect He deserves, by capitalizing the H in He, when referring to Jesus.

Why the contempt?!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#80

Post by PaulSacramento » Mon May 07, 2018 5:25 am

Byblos wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:59 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am
mrtzur2015 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 am
The Holy Spirit inspired the whole bible. Just like the prophets it’s all God I’m the doing. The body is just used for the mouth or hands in this case.
To what degree and exactly what it means that the HS inspired the writers of the various books, poems, songs and letters that make up the bible, is hotly contested.
The inspiration and inerrancy of scripture is absolute. What is contested is the interpretation.
Some believe that the writers were inspired to write by the HS BUT that the writers had autonomy on HOW to write ( but now WHAT to write).
Some believe that the HS showed the writers what to write ( divine revelation).
Some believe that the HS "took over" the writers and they ( the writers) were simply the "vessel" ( the pen and ink if you will).
Some believe that the ONLY the parts that explicitly say they are inspired ( parts that say, " The Lord said...").
And so forth.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#81

Post by PaulSacramento » Mon May 07, 2018 5:29 am

People may not understand or get this BUT the written word was valued LESS in ancient times than oral transmission and that is the reason you would only get a written account towards the end of the life cycle of the people that witnesses the actual events.

The writings ( recognized) we have about Jesus are all written within a generation of His death ( circa 30AD).
This is what we would expect ( as the apostles and direct witnesses were passing on what they saw and experienced) and also very, very good compared to the writing we have from other historical figures ( most of those accounts written generations after their deaths).

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9892
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#82

Post by Kurieuo » Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 am

The question really is, why would Jesus write anything down? How many Rabbis were there? How many Scribes? And those Jesus knew he was disgusted by, and such revolted against Him and had Him crucified.

At the end of the day, all things in retrospect, was there a reason for Christ to lift a pen straying from what His claim to fame purpose was supposedly about? (I say supposed, as I place myself obviously in the shoes of the non-believer). There was none. Presumably. Christians, true believers in Christ, are strong even unto death in the face of the likes of ISIS to this day.

Jesus was to be focused upon His purpose, HIS PURPOSE, and that alone -- assured, even knowing, that what was to be necessarily recorded WOULD BE. That's all the was needed.

As for the original question. Kenny, what is supposedly the point getting at? That Christ didn't exist? Fat bloody chance. Sorry. That's just stupid, retardary. So what is it that's at the back of your mind. That's a more interesting question. At least, for me in trying to understand a once-believer turned unbeliever as yourself.
These users liked this post by Kurieuo:
Nicki (Mon May 07, 2018 7:13 am)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#83

Post by mrtzur2015 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:56 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:25 am
Byblos wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:59 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am
mrtzur2015 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 am
The Holy Spirit inspired the whole bible. Just like the prophets it’s all God I’m the doing. The body is just used for the mouth or hands in this case.
To what degree and exactly what it means that the HS inspired the writers of the various books, poems, songs and letters that make up the bible, is hotly contested.
The inspiration and inerrancy of scripture is absolute. What is contested is the interpretation.
Some believe that the writers were inspired to write by the HS BUT that the writers had autonomy on HOW to write ( but now WHAT to write).
Some believe that the HS showed the writers what to write ( divine revelation).
Some believe that the HS "took over" the writers and they ( the writers) were simply the "vessel" ( the pen and ink if you will).
Some believe that the ONLY the parts that explicitly say they are inspired ( parts that say, " The Lord said...").
And so forth.
I think it’s well established that God as only used and still using only people who are “willing vessels”.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#84

Post by PaulSacramento » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 am

mrtzur2015 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:56 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:25 am
Byblos wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:59 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am
mrtzur2015 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 am
The Holy Spirit inspired the whole bible. Just like the prophets it’s all God I’m the doing. The body is just used for the mouth or hands in this case.
To what degree and exactly what it means that the HS inspired the writers of the various books, poems, songs and letters that make up the bible, is hotly contested.
The inspiration and inerrancy of scripture is absolute. What is contested is the interpretation.
Some believe that the writers were inspired to write by the HS BUT that the writers had autonomy on HOW to write ( but now WHAT to write).
Some believe that the HS showed the writers what to write ( divine revelation).
Some believe that the HS "took over" the writers and they ( the writers) were simply the "vessel" ( the pen and ink if you will).
Some believe that the ONLY the parts that explicitly say they are inspired ( parts that say, " The Lord said...").
And so forth.
I think it’s well established that God as only used and still using only people who are “willing vessels”.
Of course, God never overrules free will.
What is debated is the degree of influence of the HS.

mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#85

Post by mrtzur2015 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 am
mrtzur2015 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:56 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:25 am
Byblos wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:59 am
PaulSacramento wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am


To what degree and exactly what it means that the HS inspired the writers of the various books, poems, songs and letters that make up the bible, is hotly contested.
The inspiration and inerrancy of scripture is absolute. What is contested is the interpretation.
Some believe that the writers were inspired to write by the HS BUT that the writers had autonomy on HOW to write ( but now WHAT to write).
Some believe that the HS showed the writers what to write ( divine revelation).
Some believe that the HS "took over" the writers and they ( the writers) were simply the "vessel" ( the pen and ink if you will).
Some believe that the ONLY the parts that explicitly say they are inspired ( parts that say, " The Lord said...").
And so forth.
I think it’s well established that God as only used and still using only people who are “willing vessels”.
Of course, God never overrules free will.
What is debated is the degree of influence of the HS.
Why debate it ? God only use willing vessels therefore only if they are willing to do his will and write the Bible as he wills it to be then the Holy Spirit will come on a person and make it happen.

(Because the person wills.. and so the father wills .. and so Jesus speaks.. and so the Holy Spirit manifests it)

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20923
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#86

Post by RickD » Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 am
The question really is, why would Jesus write anything down? How many Rabbis were there? How many Scribes? And those Jesus knew he was disgusted by, and such revolted against Him and had Him crucified.

At the end of the day, all things in retrospect, was there a reason for Christ to lift a pen straying from what His claim to fame purpose was supposedly about? (I say supposed, as I place myself obviously in the shoes of the non-believer). There was none. Presumably. Christians, true believers in Christ, are strong even unto death in the face of the likes of ISIS to this day.

Jesus was to be focused upon His purpose, HIS PURPOSE, and that alone -- assured, even knowing, that what was to be necessarily recorded WOULD BE. That's all the was needed.

As for the original question. Kenny, what is supposedly the point getting at? That Christ didn't exist? Fat bloody chance. Sorry. That's just stupid, retardary. So what is it that's at the back of your mind. That's a more interesting question. At least, for me in trying to understand a once-believer turned unbeliever as yourself.
Image
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9892
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#87

Post by Kurieuo » Tue May 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, that's how I know "retardary" when I see it. Because I'm surrounded by a lot of bloody retards here in Oz! Just ask Mrs K, she'll tell you the same. Hang on... actually don't ask her. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 551 times
Been liked: 298 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#88

Post by Nessa » Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Doh! y#-o

Cos He had a perfect memory of course :lol:
These users liked this post by Nessa:
Kurieuo (Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 am)

claysmithr
Established Member
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:07 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#89

Post by claysmithr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 am

Jesus lived in an Oral culture, back then people could memorize their teachers words, and write them down later.

Plus, remember, it wasn't immediately evident to some people that Jesus was the Messiah.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9892
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: How come Jesus never wrote anything down?

#90

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 am

claysmithr wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 am
Jesus lived in an Oral culture, back then people could memorize their teachers words, and write them down later.
When news spread of Mary falling pregnant with Jesus though, I'm sure the oral culture declined somewhat.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Post Reply