The started of Christianity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The started of Christianity

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Christianity started has a section of Judaism and than become a new religion. There is nothings in the bible with Christians
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The started of Christianity

Post by Gman »

UsagiTsukino wrote:Christianity started has a section of Judaism and than become a new religion. There is nothings in the bible with Christians
Umm. Not exactly.. It was certainly a sect of Judaism and will always be a part of Judaism.. But nothing really new. Maybe renewed but not new.. At least that is what we understand.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

UsagiTsukino wrote:Christianity started has a section of Judaism and than become a new religion. There is nothings in the bible with Christians

Acts11:26 NKJV, "And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

y:-/ y:-/ y:-/
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

B. W. wrote:
Acts11:26 NKJV, "And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."
And:
but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name. 1 Peter 4:16, NASB
I know the NASB is a pretty literal translation, but I checked: the Greek word Peter used is christianos. While Acts 11 speaks of Christian as a name coined by non-believers (probably) derisively, 1 Peter 4:16 makes clear what Acts 11:26 implies: the earliest believers in Jesus embraced and identified as "Christian".

It is clear, in multiple books of the New Testament, that the earliest Christians understood themselves to be a fulfillment and extension of Judaism rather than something entirely new. Since then, the understanding of the degree and significance of that "extension" (as I called it) perhaps has varied, but the idea that Christianity is a unique religion unrelated to Judaism has seldom/never been mainstream among Christians (those who had some familiarity with the Bible, at least).

But like neo-x, I do not understand your point in posting this, UT.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Please forgive me. The more I started getting into my religion the more I started to understand but with understanding came why do people like these hate Christianity.

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/christian.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoGp36SiK1c

So, I wanted to understand the beginning. Even if on one similar to these people will listen to me. I will still be kind to them.

I hope you guys aren't mad.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

Looking over the first article you linked, I could not help thinking that it was a lot of energy devoted to an insignificant purpose. Some of its arguments were also less that impressive:
Christ never called himself a Christian, Christ never called his followers Christians. The apostles never called each other Christians. Christ never used an adjective to describe himself. So how are we to identify ourselves then? The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.
While it was true that, "Christ never called himself a Christian," ignoring the anachronism, why would He? Jesus was/is the Christ, not a follower of the Christ (which is what "Christian" meant - mockingly, when the word was coined - and means).

And, "Christ never used an adjective to describe himself." What is the point in saying this, even if it is true? Believers in Jesus should only describe themselves using nouns? Well, in the English sentence, "I am a Christian," "Christian" is a noun. This argument really makes no sense.

"The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", ... "bondservants" of Christ." All true, but what is the point? I use the terms "believer" and "follower", usually with "in/of Jesus" for clarity. Do I not, similarly, have the freedom in Christ to use the word, "Christian"? Where is this forbidden? Where is the spiritual danger in using that word?

As for the latter part of the article, that tries to explain away 1 Peter 4:16, it tries to make a distinction into a difference, when there really isn't even a distinction. Peter really does refer to believers as "Christians", and in that context, he makes clear that being a Christian is good, something with which one should identify.

As a general question, who or what is Ecclesia.org? Clicking on the "Home" button takes one to a webpage in Cyrillic script; I don't understand Russian or any other Slavic language. Going to Ecclesia.org takes one to a discussion forum much like EfGfS. So, who are they? I'm not trying to make some sort of point, just wanting to understand them.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I been wondering why do people think the catholics are going to hell?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

UsagiTsukino wrote:I been wondering why do people think the catholics are going to hell?
Don't look at me, I never said that...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I wasn't but I notice this alot lately
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

UsagiTsukino wrote:I been wondering why do people think the catholics are going to hell?
Unfortunately these people are ignorant of Catholic beliefs, we are all Christians and we are all Catholics, it is written into the Nicene Creed which we as Christian affirm as our core important beliefs

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Don't listen to these people, they are trying to cause division within the body of Christ.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

My main thing what of the Pope? I still don't actually get it. I hope i'm not annoying in one.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

UsagiTsukino wrote:My main thing what of the Pope? I still don't actually get it. I hope i'm not annoying in one.
To be honest I don't get the pope either, seems like a nice guy and all and loves Christ but the actual position I don't understand the need for it, but I could say the same about any hierarchical structure in any Church.

That being said, the structure does serve a purpose in many ways, like accountability, sound doctrine teaching etc... but unfortunately as are all human constructions is fallible and corruptible.

We have to accept that whatever structure is currently in place now is only temporary until Christs return.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

but itsn't it wrong to have the Pope it's not stated anywhere in the bible. Also what about purgatory ? I think god only knows a true person heart. So, I guess I shouldn't judge. I mean putting things in unbiblical if they aren't there
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

UsagiTsukino wrote:but itsn't it wrong to have the Pope it's not stated anywhere in the bible. Also what about purgatory ? I think god only knows a true person heart. So, I guess I shouldn't judge. I mean putting things in unbiblical if they aren't there

In what way do you think the pope is unbiblical? All he is is head of the Roman Catholic Church. He is not God or even a go between.

No idea about purgatory, but as far as I know it is a doctrine they believe from their understanding of the Bible.