I can just do whatever I want

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
dellsOfBittersweet
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

I can just do whatever I want

Post by dellsOfBittersweet »

So, let's pretent that I was a member of the Once Saved, Always Saved crowd. My views might be:

"Since I'm saved, I'm good to go. I can do whatever I want. There's no sin that can undo my salvation, so I'm going to have my fun while the going is good. Time to load up on some big sins!"

How would you respond?
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: I can just do whatever I want

Post by Rob »

I would advise my good friend to not do these things as it's likely to give him/her a bad rest of their time on earth. The big sins might feel good for a season, but they'll probably catch up and it won't feel so good after a while.
Also I would point out that their decisions will probably affect more people than just them.
Possibly people that don't have the same security...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

dellsOfBittersweet wrote:So, let's pretent that I was a member of the Once Saved, Always Saved crowd. My views might be:

"Since I'm saved, I'm good to go. I can do whatever I want. There's no sin that can undo my salvation, so I'm going to have my fun while the going is good. Time to load up on some big sins!"

How would you respond?
First I would question if you are really saved in the first place. That doesn't sound like you understand what salvation really is. A true believer has the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God inside him, when he places his faith in Jesus Christ. One thing the Holy Spirit does in a believer, is He(the HS) convicts the believer of sin. Now, I suppose a believer could resist the HS's convicting...Now, of course this is all hypothetical, because we all know that if one is saved, one has the indwelling Holy Spirit, and one knows that Eternal Security isn't a license to sin.
Let's not have another thread about OSAS, Eternal Security. We already have enough threads that you can discuss this.

Here, add to this thread if you wish to continue this, Dells:Eternal Security and Apostacy

This thread too:Secured Salvation
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:First I would question if you are really saved in the first place.
So where does that leave absolute assurance? :poke: 8)
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:First I would question if you are really saved in the first place.
So where does that leave absolute assurance? :poke: 8)
:pound: :lalala:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I an absolutely assure you that when it comes to humans, nothing is assured or absolute !
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:I an absolutely assure you that when it comes to humans, nothing is assured or absolute !
Well then, thank God that absolute assurance is from Him, not in anything we do!

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I an absolutely assure you that when it comes to humans, nothing is assured or absolute !
Well then, thank God that absolute assurance is from Him, not in anything we do!
Rick has absolutely and most assuredly, kicked the correct in the prostate !!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
Rick has absolutely and most assuredly, kicked the correct in the prostate !!
Ouch! :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

dellsOfBittersweet wrote:So, let's pretent that I was a member of the Once Saved, Always Saved crowd. My views might be:

How would you respond?
What you and the other posters who answered forgot is that upon rebirth/renewal/salvation, God gives you a new heart, and gives you the desires of your heart . So, your ''Time to load up on some big sins!'' is the type of thinking an unsaved person would have. An unsaved person who doesn't have a clue about what salvation could be.

Carry on.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

What did the earliest Christians and the first churches believe about once saved always saved.
I believe they would be in the position to know what Christ passed down to the apostles and what the apostles passed down to the early Christians (their students). What did the early church teach?

This is something we will know from scriptures and the sacred traditions that were passed down starting with the apostles to their students.
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

We all fall into the "I can do whatever I want" thinking once in a while, but to me that doesn't show that you aren't saved. And if that sort of thinking is a problem (I think most would agree it is), it still does nothing to negate "once saved always saved" (a phrase that comes across as glib, don't really like it). I also agree with FL, when we are regenerated and indwelt with the Holy Spirit our perspective is changed. That doesn't mean that we don't sometimes think things like this.

There are also consequences, earthly or otherwise, to our actions... even if it isn't a salvation issue. And if we believe Christ paid it all we "should" be able to see that this sort of attitude is not a proper response to what he's done.
Young, Restless, Reformed