What goes into heaven?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Frogsterking
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

What goes into heaven?

Post by Frogsterking »

When we go into heaven, if we are leaving our earthly bodies behind us, that means our brain and mental faculties are left behind. So what is going into heaven? How are we changed?
wrain62
Valued Member

Re: What goes into heaven?

Post by wrain62 »

I guess it is our spirit that actually means anything. Our soul. I am not sure of the difference between spirit and soul but what will be changed is elimination in the finitude of existence as well as transition to peace; but in actuallity these will just kind of come off as byproducts of the more important presence of.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Frogsterking wrote:When we go into heaven, if we are leaving our earthly bodies behind us, that means our brain and mental faculties are left behind. So what is going into heaven? How are we changed?

Depends which point you are referring to. When we die then we are just spirits in either soul sleep or in paradise with Jesus. then comes the Great White Throne Judgement and we are all given ressurected bodies like Jesus and then Heaven will come to earth so we will be flesh and have what we have now - but perfect.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Will I get my dogs back? y:-?

I hope so.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Frogsterking wrote:When we go into heaven, if we are leaving our earthly bodies behind us, that means our brain and mental faculties are left behind. So what is going into heaven? How are we changed?
Do we leave our early bodies behind, or are they raised up anew only indestructable? (cf. Romans 8:11; 1 Corinthians 15:52-53)

1 Corinthians 15:42-49 paints a picture of our being sown in flesh and raised a spiritual body. That is, not to negate the physical, for the spiritual inherits what is sown in the physical. At least how I understand things. More than this though, I believe the physical is retained in our resurrected bodies.

So who we are when we die would be who we are when raised imperishable. What goes to heaven I believe is us, only in a bodily form much like angels have. Keep in mind that while angels are spiritual, they also reveal themselves physically in Scripture. This suggests physical is still a derivable form within their own "spiritually" immortal bodies.
grambowsgirl
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by grambowsgirl »

/quote]
Silvertusk wrote:

Depends which point you are referring to. When we die then we are just spirits in either soul sleep or in paradise with Jesus. then comes the Great White Throne Judgement and we are all given ressurected bodies like Jesus and then Heaven will come to earth so we will be flesh and have what we have now - but perfect.
So, if we are Spirit and then are given heavenly bodies, how is it possible to reunite with our earthly loved ones? See Mark 11:24-27
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

Our heavenly bodies are what we actually are created to be. We are first spiritual beings and then we are earthly beings.(I am not suggesting the order in which we were created) Our brains and heart etc are what facilitates our consciousness and life as needed to be on the earthly plane. When this is stripped away, we have what we actually are which is another kind of being altogether that has a consciousness, will, and life apart from the terrestrial.
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

grambowsgirl wrote:/quote]
Silvertusk wrote:

So, if we are Spirit and then are given heavenly bodies, how is it possible to reunite with our earthly loved ones? See Mark 11:24-27
The spiritual body IS the heavenly body. We will all be in the same place if we have received salvation.

The entire notion of physical bodies at the resurrection is conjecture of scripture and not in the bible at all. It is much simpler. When you die, you are raised a spiritual body -SPIRIT- Glorified and imperishable. NOT flesh, for flesh and bone CANNOT inherit the kingdom of God which is our inheritance. This is the Gospel; Eternal life in God's kingdom for those who receive salvation. Anything else is a different Gospel created by man. We will die and be in our spiritual bodies, or we will be changed and not suffer physical death when we come into our spiritual form.
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

All notions of heaven here on earth are also misguided and are doctrines created by men who have used conjecture of the scriptures to arrive at a carnal understanding of what is actually written. Think of this; The jews thought that the Messiah would become the physical king of Israel. They were mistaken. Jesus's kingdom was not of this world. The prophecies of the messiah were clear in their statements that the messiahs kingdom would be forever and have no end. It could have been understood that the kingdom the prophets were referring to was a spiritual kingdom. It was not however because carnal and ignorant minds were doing the deciphering. It is the same today with notions of heaven coming here on earth. We know that this universe will be destroyed and the very elements will melt in the heat. We also can read about the new Jerusalem and see some of it's characteristics. Many think that because in Johns vision that he saw the New Jerusalem coming out of heaven from God, that we will all see the same thing. The bible does NOT say that. It simply tells us what John saw and does not imply that we will see the new Jerusalem in the same way. In the new Jerusalem there will be no sun, or moon. The bible is specific on this point. That should tell you, just as the messiahs everlasting kingdom should have told the Jews that the kingdom is NOT of this world, or in this world. It is not even in this universe. It is not a physical dwelling.

-Peace
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

I know that I am blowing up this board, but this is important.

When I first heard of the notion of eternal life in physical resurrected bodies. I was upset and confused because it seemed like Gods promise was taken away from me. I did not and do not want to be in physical form forever! I want heaven! The real reason that a physical resurrection didn't sit well with me was because of the existential questions and yearnings within my own heart concerning life after death and the continuation of the spirit. Everyone has these same existential yearnings and questions. God has made it so, and the doctrine of a physical resurrection flew in the face of that. The fact is, and we can all be thankful for this is that our inheritance IS in the spiritual and NOT in the physical as some claim to believe (they do not and cannot actually believe this. Their innermost hearts do not allow it). God is very clear when he says "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him." and again "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you." Still more; “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world." and "But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect," again: "and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,"

So take heart and be thankful that God has wonderful things in store for all of us who believe!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Re: physical resurrection bodies, I was like you. However, Scripture seems to suggest a physical resurrection for us just like Christ.

Do you believe angels ever appeared in physical form? While spiritual beings, would this not suggest their bodies possess a physical element that they can exhibit?

Likewise, Christ was raised physically but presumably His dominant form is of a spirtual nature. Likewise, we may be raised physical but that does not necessitate we are purely physical. Rather we are given new and better bodies.
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

Kurieuo wrote:Re: physical resurrection bodies, I was like you. However, Scripture seems to suggest a physical resurrection for us just like Christ.

Do you believe angels ever appeared in physical form? While spiritual beings, would this not suggest their bodies possess a physical element that they can exhibit?

Likewise, Christ was raised physically but presumably His dominant form is of a spirtual nature. Likewise, we may be raised physical but that does not necessitate we are purely physical. Rather we are given new and better bodies.
Thanx for the reply.

I do not believe that the scripture does suggest a physical resurrection, it may seem like it to many, but to say that Pauls description of our resurrected bodies in any way shape or form denotes anything physical is a pretty big stretch. Any of the scriptures containing anything on the matter actually are cohesive when it comes to having spiritual bodies. As far as Angels having been given the ability by God to "appear" as physical does not suggest anything beyond that they took on temporary physical form. I think that people are theorizing beyond the scope of anything written in scripture or for that matter, any eyewitness of such things anywhere, anytime. This is a brand new doctrine, this issue of; "Since Christ had a physical resurrected body that we would too. The fact is that Christ was here for his purpose and appearing to many was part of that purpose. We are not Christ. According to scripture we will take on the form of the ascended body rather than Christs physical one.

We need to keep our eye on what scripture says and not what we think it might be implying. If we do not on this issue, we are claiming that God does not in fact promise us eternal life in his kingdom, rather something else entirely, which does seem to me to be a brand new doctrine and not one that any of the apostles nor Christ had. I do believe that Jesus would have told us that he prepares us for eternally physical bodies if it were so, rather than promising us a place in his kingdom, which is a spiritual kingdom. "Flesh and bone cannot inherit the kingdom of God." If we say that heaven will come down to earth and in this way we will be with God forever, we have to then reconcile the fact that the entire earth and heavens are set for destruction. "The elements will melt in the heat." -We look forward to a new heaven and new earth, the home of righteousness."(2nd Peter). In thessalonians it clearly says that we will be changed and meet the lord in the air and FOREVER be with him in this way. So when this earth is destroyed, we will not be here. -Heavenly promise, spiritual inheritance.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

When we go into heaven, if we are leaving our earthly bodies behind us, that means our brain and mental faculties are left behind. So what is going into heaven? How are we changed?
I hope the old is left behind. I get confused. My mind plays tricks on me. I make errors. I'm forgetful.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Frogsterking
Acquainted Member

Post by Frogsterking »

I guess where I'm coming from is different, I love ballet and dance and all kinds of movement, and that's something that I would miss if I could remember it.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Frog, we cannot image heaven with our finite minds in this finite universe. You might say you will miss those things and maybe you will be able to perform those things in a spiritual form, but I believe the wonderment that God has prepared for us in Heaven will dwarf any earthly enjoyment we ever could enjoy on earth. I get goosebumps just thinking about it :)