What do you think of this?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Ryan
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What do you think of this?

Post by Ryan »

I personally agree with every word he said

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus || Spoken Word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What do you think of this?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

This has gone viral. I think I saw it at least 10 times on Facebook today.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Yep I saw it on facebook to, but have not actually watched it yet.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I have now watched it and I agree with him totally, Religion is a man made construct and all we really need is Christ.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I saw it on Facebook yesterday. I loved it.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I saw it on aol this morning. Good stuff!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Ryan wrote:I personally agree with every word he said

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus || Spoken Word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY
Very nice... Thank you for sharing this.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

great video.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

Ah, just saw this today and was about to post it here! Looks like you beat me to it.
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

What is the difference between religion and church?
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

wrain62 wrote:What is the difference between religion and church?

Religion is a man made institution with rules,regulations,hierarchy's and politics.
The Church is the body of Christ, people who believe in Christ that have fellowship and meet to worship and learn.

Dan
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

If even half the youtube comments on that video are serious humanity is definitely progressing backwards in philosophy. :?
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Sorry to change the subject a bit, but I just noticed that Echoside, who I think, used to be an atheist (used to have it listed that he was) is now a believer! That's GREAT!!!! :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

Just wondering, when did you come to Christ and what finally brought you to know Him? I just ask this because I think ever since I started coming to and participating in Christian apologetics message boards (started back in 2007 I think) you are the first convert I have seen! Again this is so GREAT! :ebiggrin: This made my day! Thank you God! :ebiggrin:
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

DRDS wrote:Sorry to change the subject a bit, but I just noticed that Echoside, who I think, used to be an atheist (used to have it listed that he was) is now a believer! That's GREAT!!!! :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

Just wondering, when did you come to Christ and what finally brought you to know Him? I just ask this because I think ever since I started coming to and participating in Christian apologetics message boards (started back in 2007 I think) you are the first convert I have seen! Again this is so GREAT! :ebiggrin: This made my day! Thank you God! :ebiggrin:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 14&t=36746

:wave:
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Just wanted to add a little balance as well. I found the poem very effective in dealing with a common problem we have today. That is
Chritianity is often hi-jacked and replaced with religious activity. Man centered religion.
Religion, properly defined, isn't a bad thing. I can remember a thread where i slammed religion, and many had a hard time understanding what I was saying because they couldn't seperate how I was using the term. Jesus was religious, but in the purest form. ( James 1:27) Bad religion doesn't negate true religion. Counterfeits are never proof against the genuine. In fact, they actually confirm the real.

So, the only thing I would say to temper this piece is that the poet may at times conflate religion of any kind to be the problem. Jesus didn't hate religion, he hated hypocrisy and self-righteousness. In fact if we are not careful this attitude can actually implode on itself. Jesus gave the example of the Pharisee who said, "Thank you that I am not like those sinners." Yet, the opposite and equally incorrect view of this is saying, "Thank you Lord that I am not like those religious people."

There is little doubt in my mind that the video does convey a lot of truth. But there is also a tendency to over correct. That is why we also see a lot of things 'emerging' today that essentially blast orthodoxy, or anything that clings to traditions. It's a classic example of throwing out the baby with the bath water. The new hip trend is to shun those things. And often we end up with just as vacant a religion. I've seen billboards advertising a picture of a sofa, and the text, "The comfortable church." Or, "The Unchurch." Throwing off the organ music, pews, and hymnals and replacing it with coffee shops, sofas, and power point is NOT the answer. And I don't think this was the focus or intention of the author. But it is a practical reality in how it manifest in today's church economy.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious