Free will and Omniscience

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3551
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#106

Post by neo-x » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:13 am

Brother Danny, I apologize for replying late
This is a god of contingencies, Neo. Have you noticed, Bro, that throughout this thread you have gone all round the houses trying to defend an absolute free will? To the point of making God the god of contingencies. If God is omniscient, there is nothing He cannot see. Forget middle knowledge and counterfactuals - God knows ALL there is to know.
Danny, I am afraid I may not have been good enough to make my point clear to you. I was not going for absolute free will. But somehow I fail to see how God giving us free will would make him a "God of contingencies". Either he gives free will or he doesn't.

But on a side note, do see a problem when you say, God knows everything before hand. For example, if God knows everything, since he is outside of time. He sees the future, past and present at the same time and everything happens to him in the "now - in this very moment kind of thing", as some have said. Then don't you think this makes predestination probably the most absurd word? Predestination, the very word implies time as a basic factor to cater a definition. If to God there is no time in the same sense as humans, since he is outside of it then predestination shouldn't even be a concept to God, because to God there is no future he cannot know. The future to him is now, and therefore he cannot pre-destine anyone.

I mention this because this was the answer some gave. But I say, if this is it, then it highlight what I said, even more. If God knows all then he can not go down the predestination road, can he? This would kill free will and John 3:16. Yeah sure, some things are in God's plan, he makes them happen anyway. So as I said, God's big plans always happen, but on my personal decisions, in my personal life, I always have a choice, God would never enforce his plan against my will. That is just not the God I know, bro.

Bro, do you agree that having free will means, we can change our mind regardless of God's will, any time we want?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.


//johnadavid.wordpress.com

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5213
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 299 times

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#107

Post by 1over137 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 am

neo-x wrote: John 3:16 does not needs my interpretation. That verse is probably the most straight forward gospel message in the the whole Bible. It speaks for it self. And that is why predestination for salvation, through election of a few, sounds absurd to me. This is the premise that Calvin brings. I know there are several different positions inside Calvinism which try to simplify or complicate the basic principle of Calvinism but over all the crux of it remains the same.

God chooses those who seek him and those who come to him are not turned away. In the end teh choice to go to God rests in our own decisions, not God's election. For even so, if God would elect any of us, he would not force us to be saved. He can only do his part and that is John 3:16, now among men, whoever does their part and receive what God did, he finds salvation.
You say neo, that God chooses those who seek Him. I'd like to ask you, which people are seeking Him? Because, once I was told that noone would be seeking God without God first drawing him to Him.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3551
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#108

Post by neo-x » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 am

by 1over137 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 pm

neo-x wrote:
John 3:16 does not needs my interpretation. That verse is probably the most straight forward gospel message in the the whole Bible. It speaks for it self. And that is why predestination for salvation, through election of a few, sounds absurd to me. This is the premise that Calvin brings. I know there are several different positions inside Calvinism which try to simplify or complicate the basic principle of Calvinism but over all the crux of it remains the same.

God chooses those who seek him and those who come to him are not turned away. In the end teh choice to go to God rests in our own decisions, not God's election. For even so, if God would elect any of us, he would not force us to be saved. He can only do his part and that is John 3:16, now among men, whoever does their part and receive what God did, he finds salvation.


You say neo, that God chooses those who seek Him. I'd like to ask you, which people are seeking Him? Because, once I was told that noone would be seeking God without God first drawing him to Him
This notion is out of place and certainly ill worded. For example, a lot of people seek God, did God already draw them in? yeah he can, How? evangelism, direct or indirect. But this does not mean this is the only way people can find God. some can find him accidentally or by seeking him. Or else the command to proclaim the message of God is fruitless, isn't it. It would be meaning less if God already chooses those he wants to save. That is why extreme Calvinists do not find the act of proclaiming the Gospel, necessary at all. They think those who are elected for saving will be saved by the Holy spirit nonetheless.

Jesus tells us that it is the ministry of the Holy Spirit to draw us to Christ and bring us to repentance. When we are truly sorry for our sin and desire to be forgiven by God and accept salvation, we are repenting. However we get to a place where we are repenting, our repentance is, in itself, an evidence of the presence and ministry of the Holy Spirit. But it can happen in a lot of ways, none of which are exclusive as the only option, for example, God can plan to reveal himself to someone in a dream or vision or someone can ask God, regardless of knowing him personally, but still seeking him. Or you hear or read or listen to the repentance call by the tv or radio evangelism, a bible on your desk, a verse on a wall, a minister in the church or a man sitting in the bus next to you and reading his bible, anything. I see this all as the work of the Holy spirit. He draws people but not against their will, and certainly not a few. For that makes God's salvation only for a handful. In fact I think Holy spirit works through us that he can draw a lot of people but I think most do not heed his call and turn away, they get that certain feeling and then they see the world around them and choose to live it, without looking at God's invitation. In that sense, Holy spirit works for all, not for a few, which indeed would be justified to God's love and fairness.

Holy spirit, drawing someone to God:
1. can not do it against their will if they choose to walk away,
2. is not exclusive of God's plan of salvation for the world as in John 3:16
3. his intent is that all are saved, although that predestines nothing. Ultimately it is our choice to accept this work of God.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.


//johnadavid.wordpress.com

DannyM
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: A little corner of England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#109

Post by DannyM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 am

domokunrox wrote:I think I have the answer.

It is up to God weather I find myself in a world which I am predestined; but it is up to me weather I am predestined in the world in which I find myself.
This sounds like gobbledegook to me. Can you elaborate?
God assures us that ANYONE in the world who WOULD under ANY circumstances be FREELY saved IS FREELY SAVED.
Again, can you show me where God assures of all the highlighted bits above, please?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia

DannyM
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: A little corner of England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#110

Post by DannyM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 am

Brother Neo,
neo-x wrote:Brother Danny, I apologize for replying late
This is a god of contingencies, Neo. Have you noticed, Bro, that throughout this thread you have gone all round the houses trying to defend an absolute free will? To the point of making God the god of contingencies. If God is omniscient, there is nothing He cannot see. Forget middle knowledge and counterfactuals - God knows ALL there is to know.
Danny, I am afraid I may not have been good enough to make my point clear to you. I was not going for absolute free will. But somehow I fail to see how God giving us free will would make him a "God of contingencies". Either he gives free will or he doesn't.

But on a side note, do see a problem when you say, God knows everything before hand. For example, if God knows everything, since he is outside of time. He sees the future, past and present at the same time and everything happens to him in the "now - in this very moment kind of thing", as some have said. Then don't you think this makes predestination probably the most absurd word? Predestination, the very word implies time as a basic factor to cater a definition. If to God there is no time in the same sense as humans, since he is outside of it then predestination shouldn't even be a concept to God, because to God there is no future he cannot know. The future to him is now, and therefore he cannot pre-destine anyone.

I mention this because this was the answer some gave. But I say, if this is it, then it highlight what I said, even more. If God knows all then he can not go down the predestination road, can he? This would kill free will and John 3:16. Yeah sure, some things are in God's plan, he makes them happen anyway. So as I said, God's big plans always happen, but on my personal decisions, in my personal life, I always have a choice, God would never enforce his plan against my will. That is just not the God I know, bro.

Bro, do you agree that having free will means, we can change our mind regardless of God's will, any time we want?
If God's knowledge and decree is dependent upon the actions of human beings then this makes Him a god of contingencies. There's no two ways about it. I'll answer you fully in a bit, just trying to catch up with the posts and PMs, Brother.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3551
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#111

Post by neo-x » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 am

If God's knowledge and decree is dependent upon the actions of human beings then this makes Him a god of contingencies. There's no two ways about it. I'll answer you fully in a bit, just trying to catch up with the posts and PMs, Brother.
No problem bro, just to clear one thing, I do see your point, but then what you are proposing as the alternative, doesn't answer my question.

please if you will, let me know of your pov on my questions, so I would more clearly know your position on this

1. do you agree that having free will means, we can change our mind regardless of God's will, any time we want?
2. Does God's foreknowledge makes us do things that we do not have a choice in?
3. How does free will and God's omniscience co-exist in your view? e.g please if would explain, could Paul have refused God's calling on the road to Damascus? if yes wouldn't this be contradictory to God's foreknowledge, and if No, then where is the free will?

Thanks for you words and time
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.


//johnadavid.wordpress.com

zacchaeus
Valued Member
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:59 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#112

Post by zacchaeus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 am

I don't know but at some point and time our freewill aligns with His absolute and perfect will... in which case now I believe we haven't even touched on the difference in Gods permissive will and His absolute perfect will. Is it not predestined for us to choose Him? ...but then again reading through older posts got me thinking of frewill... how free is it? In order to get to heaven we have no choice in the matter but to choose Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and ask forgiveness of our sins... ONE WAY! We don't even have a choice in that matter, and then obviously if we reject Him we know what happens. My position is the same and hasn't changed but these were just some instant questions that came to mind reading since my last post.

DannyM
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: A little corner of England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#113

Post by DannyM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:37 pm

neo-x wrote: 1. do you agree that having free will means, we can change our mind regardless of God's will, any time we want?
No. We can go against a command of God, of course, but not His decree.
neo-x wrote:2. Does God's foreknowledge makes us do things that we do not have a choice in?
No I don’t, Bro, since we still exercise choice. I think, because of the fall and sin, there is no absolute free will. We love sin and are at enmity with God. God still allows us to freely act on our sinful and worldly desires. But by grace He has willed so that some will freely come to Christ. This, for me, is where we actually get some freedom back! We are set free from the constraints of this world and given life. We have chosen life. So, while still in a fallen state, we are alive again in Christ. So on this we see there was no true freedom of the will (uncorrupted) to begin with. Yet we are still free to make all kinds of worldly choices, in what many would intuitively call “the freedom of the will.” To deny a ‘worldly’ free will would be to argue inwards and back out the other side again.
neo-x wrote:3. How does free will and God's omniscience co-exist in your view? e.g please if would explain, could Paul have refused God's calling on the road to Damascus? if yes wouldn't this be contradictory to God's foreknowledge, and if No, then where is the free will?
Since God knew that Paul would accept the call, at that time, then Paul would not have done otherwise. This is practically tautological, my Brother. And if God foreknows you will come to Christ, then it is either determined by God or it’s determined by you.
neo-x wrote:Thanks for you words and time
Brother, always a pleasure and never a chore. Hope I made some semblance of sense.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia

User avatar
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 21889
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1136 times

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#114

Post by RickD » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Danny wrote:
Brother, always a pleasure and never a chore. Hope I made some semblance of sense.
Danny, it makes perfect sense to me. But, what do I know? Apparently, I don't know too much about Christianity, and how to defend myself against falsehood. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.


The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

DannyM
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: A little corner of England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#115

Post by DannyM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 pm

RickD wrote:Danny wrote:
Brother, always a pleasure and never a chore. Hope I made some semblance of sense.
Danny, it makes perfect sense to me. But, what do I know? Apparently, I don't know too much about Christianity, and how to defend myself against falsehood. :pound:
:lol: I didn't 'alf chuckle at that, Rick. It seems Dom disagrees with you for agreeing with me (or not openly disagreeing witrh me), but hasn't told us why, other than it's because I'm wrong. That told you, huh?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia

User avatar
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 21889
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1136 times

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#116

Post by RickD » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 pm

DannyM wrote:
RickD wrote:Danny wrote:
Brother, always a pleasure and never a chore. Hope I made some semblance of sense.
Danny, it makes perfect sense to me. But, what do I know? Apparently, I don't know too much about Christianity, and how to defend myself against falsehood. :pound:
:lol: I didn't 'alf chuckle at that, Rick. It seems Dom disagrees with you for agreeing with me (or not openly disagreeing witrh me), but hasn't told us why, other than it's because I'm wrong. That told you, huh?
Danny, I haven't heard anything in these threads, from you, that I disagree with. As a matter of fact, I've been talking to August, in private y:-$ , and there's not a whole lot I disagree with, with what August believes. It seems there may be a HUGE misrepresentation of Calvinism, throughout Christendom.y:O2 But let's keep that between us, OK?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.


The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
jlay
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3613
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#117

Post by jlay » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:25 pm

If God's knowledge and decree is dependent upon the actions of human beings then this makes Him a god of contingencies.
"dependent" would seem to be the problem. Can God be permissive regarding the actions of humans without being dependent?

Rick,
August could probably help a lot of Calvinists out with what they think is Calvinsim. :lol:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious

DannyM
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: A little corner of England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#118

Post by DannyM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:00 pm

jlay wrote:
If God's knowledge and decree is dependent upon the actions of human beings then this makes Him a god of contingencies.
"dependent" would seem to be the problem. Can God be permissive regarding the actions of humans without being dependent?
That's not my argument. Of course God is permissive without being dependent. My point is that, if acts of the will are antecedent to God’s decree, then God now depends on the creature while He could decree nothing. That's my point.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia

User avatar
Echoside
Valued Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:31 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#119

Post by Echoside » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:37 pm

DannyM wrote: No I don’t, Bro, since we still exercise choice. I think, because of the fall and sin, there is no absolute free will. We love sin and are at enmity with God. God still allows us to freely act on our sinful and worldly desires. But by grace He has willed so that some will freely come to Christ. This, for me, is where we actually get some freedom back! We are set free from the constraints of this world and given life. We have chosen life. So, while still in a fallen state, we are alive again in Christ. So on this we see there was no true freedom of the will (uncorrupted) to begin with. Yet we are still free to make all kinds of worldly choices, in what many would intuitively call “the freedom of the will.” To deny a ‘worldly’ free will would be to argue inwards and back out the other side again.
This is the main point of contention.

"God still allows us to freely act on our sinful and worldly desires"

When you decide to sin, there is no other option than sinning? That's not a choice, there's no free act. A choice assumes alternatives.

"Yet we are still free to make all kinds of worldly choices"

So the only decisions we are allowed to make are the one's that don't matter? y#-o

User avatar
August
Old School
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:22 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Free will and Omniscience

#120

Post by August » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Echoside wrote:
DannyM wrote: No I don’t, Bro, since we still exercise choice. I think, because of the fall and sin, there is no absolute free will. We love sin and are at enmity with God. God still allows us to freely act on our sinful and worldly desires. But by grace He has willed so that some will freely come to Christ. This, for me, is where we actually get some freedom back! We are set free from the constraints of this world and given life. We have chosen life. So, while still in a fallen state, we are alive again in Christ. So on this we see there was no true freedom of the will (uncorrupted) to begin with. Yet we are still free to make all kinds of worldly choices, in what many would intuitively call “the freedom of the will.” To deny a ‘worldly’ free will would be to argue inwards and back out the other side again.
This is the main point of contention.

"God still allows us to freely act on our sinful and worldly desires"

When you decide to sin, there is no other option than sinning? That's not a choice, there's no free act. A choice assumes alternatives.

"Yet we are still free to make all kinds of worldly choices"

So the only decisions we are allowed to make are the one's that don't matter? y#-o
Do you have a logical proof of decisions that are made without any influence?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com

Post Reply