What too many Christians do

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What too many Christians do

Post by ultimate777 »

I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: What too many Christians do

Post by neo-x »

yes, most Christians refuse to deal with tough questions. But I think most of the time (not all the time), the questions themselves are quite ridiculous, petty, fallacious as well.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

ultimate777 wrote:I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
I don't understand your question about the mentally disabled ( please let us call them that and not retards since it's used in a derogatory manner nowadays).
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

CeT-To wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
I don't understand your question about the mentally disabled ( please let us call them that and not retards since it's used in a derogatory manner nowadays).
retard(re·tard)
Syllabification:OnOff

verb
Pronunciation:/riˈtärd/
[with object]
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment:
his progress was retarded by his limp
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

I'd tone down the provocative language if I were you, ultimate777, and remember where you are...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

RickD wrote:
CeT-To wrote:
retard(re·tard)

verb
[with object]
Lol i know but read what i said in brackets though. Anyway this is besides the point - do you understand what he is asking.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Do you???
ultimate777 wrote:....As you probably can tell I am more self-centered than most people and more than most want to do things for my own benefit with maybe too little concern for other factors, even regarding my thoughts on religion. Would Jesus accept me if that never changed?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

CeT-To wrote:
RickD wrote:
CeT-To wrote:
retard(re·tard)

verb
[with object]
Lol i know but read what i said in brackets though. Anyway this is besides the point - do you understand what he is asking.
Yes, I see what he's saying. It's just that he's saying it in an offensive kind of way, IMO. Let's look at what he's saying, not how he's saying it, to see if it's valid.
I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies.
Some Christians may seem to refuse to deal with tough questions, because they either 1) don't honestly know the answer or
2) they feel threatened by the question, as in, they feel like they are supposed to know the answer, but if they admit they don't, then the unbeliever will think their faith in Christ is stupid, or invalid.
IMHO either retards the cause of Christ.
Nothing we do "retards" the cause of Christ. That's like saying an omnipotent God's plans are contingent on us. That would mean He's not omnipotent.
Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
It's not that they don't have brains. Christians, despite what some Christians say, don't have all the answers. Some Christians aren't secure enough in the faith. Some believe it is their duty to "defend" God, whenever someone insults Him. Our "duty" is to love God, and people, with the love of God manifested in our lives, by the Holy Spirit in us. Our duty isn't to jump down someone's throat every time they insult God.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Offensive?

Come on guys, let's put on our big boy britches. :pound:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:Offensive?

Come on guys, let's put on our big boy britches. :pound:
jlay, didn't you see the obvious pun, when 777 used the word "retards", when referring to Christians? That he used "retards" instead of any other word, can be offensive, in its meaning.

-Edward R Murrow

CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

RickD wrote:
CeT-To wrote:
RickD wrote:
CeT-To wrote:
retard(re·tard)

verb
[with object]
Yes, I see what he's saying. It's just that he's saying it in an offensive kind of way, IMO. Let's look at what he's saying, not how he's saying it, to see if it's valid.
I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies.
Some Christians may seem to refuse to deal with tough questions, because they either 1) don't honestly know the answer or
2) they feel threatened by the question, as in, they feel like they are supposed to know the answer, but if they admit they don't, then the unbeliever will think their faith in Christ is stupid, or invalid.
IMHO either retards the cause of Christ.
Nothing we do "retards" the cause of Christ. That's like saying an omnipotent God's plans are contingent on us. That would mean He's not omnipotent.
Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
It's not that they don't have brains. Christians, despite what some Christians say, don't have all the answers. Some Christians aren't secure enough in the faith. Some believe it is their duty to "defend" God, whenever someone insults Him. Our "duty" is to love God, and people, with the love of God manifested in our lives, by the Holy Spirit in us. Our duty isn't to jump down someone's throat every time they insult God.
LOL thanx Rick hahah i was totally off on the retard issue - i thought it had something to do with mentally ill people, i think the confusion came from the fact that i wasn't familiar with the way the word was used. I feel a bit silly now tho and embarrassed :oops: hahaha :lol:

ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Neo, you just proved my point.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

The way he used retards was not in the least offensive too me. For pete's sake, even a definition was provided later in the thread. this is a mole hill, not a mountain.
IMHO either retards the cause of Christ
Is 777 not a Christian?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Report this postReply with quoteRe: What too many Christians do
by DannyM on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:38 am

ultimate777 wrote:
I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?

I'd tone down the provocative language if I were you, ultimate777, and remember where you are...

DannyM, I am trying to make Christians use their minds better in serving God. There is a pattern in the way too many are failing.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:The way he used retards was not in the least offensive too me. For pete's sake, even a definition was provided later in the thread. this is a mole hill, not a mountain.
IMHO either retards the cause of Christ
Is 777 not a Christian?
Perhaps "offensive" was harsh, perhaps not. If "retards" was an intended pun, then it was offensive, IMO.
Is 777 not a Christian? I don't know. Why don't you ask him if he is? He's listed as a Christian, in his profile. But, we know profiles can be misleading. Your profile says you're a young earth creationist. We all know you've abandoned that sinking ship a while ago. :titanic: :pound:

I hope you put your big boy britches on when you read that. :wave:

-Edward R Murrow