David and Johnathan in Samuel

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

David and Johnathan in Samuel

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

Opinions?

Just platonic? Or is it romantic?

It seriously made me cry the first time I read it... the beauty of their relationship whatever level it may be at... it still had some of the most beautiful quotes. y@};-
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
SnowDrops
Established Member
Sex: Male

Re: David and Johnathan in Samuel

Post by SnowDrops »

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:Opinions?

It seriously made me cry the first time I read it... the beauty of their relationship whatever level it may be at... it still had some of the most beautiful quotes. y@};-
Nope, they were friends, as we can see by this description: "better than the love of woman" which seems to say "better than romantic love". Also, there are no references to them being in love. Just that their relationship was very strong.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya »

SnowDrops wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:Opinions?

Nope, they were friends, as we can see by this description: "better than the love of woman" which seems to say "better than romantic love". Also, there are no references to them being in love. Just that their relationship was very strong.
Other people interpret it differently, but that shouldn't surprise you.
Thank you for your opinion on this matter.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Given the nature of Song of Solomon, it seems the God is quite willing to be explicit in sexual love and approving of the sexual love between a man and wife.

I think we need to be careful to
1) read into the text, especially with modern views
2) look into the text what we perhaps want it to mean.

The text only specifies friendship and the closeness of the relationship, it doesn't indicate whatsoever a physical nature to the relationship. Ho unfortunate that this is deemed potentially risque, I think it is valuable to see the friendships that can take place without genders. Ruth and Naomi, Jonathon and David, friendships are meant to encourage, support, and show great intimacy. But unfortunately intimacy is equated with sexual relationships.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Well, let's see, scripture tells us that David had eight wives and (at least) ten concubines. That sounds pretty heterosexual to me!