Was dancing a prescribed part of Old T't sanctuary worship?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
TallMan
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Was dancing a prescribed part of Old T't sanctuary worship?

Post by TallMan »

It isn't mentioned in any of the detailed passages of what should happen / how God should be worshipped.

Psalm 149 & 150 seem to say so, but in both instances the margin reference says pipe and the word translated "dance" is in a list of musical instruments.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Was dancing a prescribed part of Old T't sanctuary worsh

Post by B. W. »

TallMan wrote:It isn't mentioned in any of the detailed passages of what should happen / how God should be worshipped.

Psalm 149 & 150 seem to say so, but in both instances the margin reference says pipe and the word translated "dance" is in a list of musical instruments.
Psalms 6:1 - "To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.... A Psalm of David..." and Psalms 12:1 - "To the Chief Musician. On An Eight-Stringed Harp. A Psalm of David" speak of using a Harp... Some translations repharse these

1 Ch 23:5 and 2 Ch 7:6 and Psalms 150:4, 6 all suggest to use all manner instruments of music and the voice to praise God

1 Ch 23:5 - and four thousand gatekeepers, and four thousand giving praise to Jehovah, `with instruments that I made for praising,' s YLT

2 Ch 7:6 - And the priests over their charges are standing, and the Levites with instruments of the song of Jehovah--that David the king made, to give thanks to Jehovah, for to the age is His kindness, in David's praising by their hand--and the priests are blowing trumpets over-against them, and all Israel are standing. YLT

Here is what AMG's Complete Word Study says about the for Instruments

5058 (Strongs)

ְנ ִגיָנ ה

neg̱iynāh, ְנ ִגיַנ נª

neg̱iynaṯ: I. A feminine noun meaning song, music; a taunting song. It is used of a taunting song in some contexts, a song of mocking or ridicule (Job 30:9; Psalms 69:12 [11]; Lam 3:14); of stringed instruments or music (Lam 5:14).

II. A feminine noun denoting a stringed instrument. It describes certain psalms in their titles and is found at the end of Hab 3:19 as a technical musical term, "stringed instruments."

III. A feminine proper noun indicating Neginah (singular), Neginoth (plural); proper names for stringed instruments. It is used only in the psalm titles listed below, but see I and II above also.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys