controversial scriptures

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

controversial scriptures

Post by jenna »

Another controversy. What is the reward of the saved? Do the saved go to heaven? If so, then when? :econfused:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
JCSx2
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Re: controversial scriptures

Post by JCSx2 »

jenwat3 wrote:Another controversy. What is the reward of the saved? Do the saved go to heaven? If so, then when? :econfused:
Where is this? I would like to see it in context.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I have found a few scriptures that seem to imply that we don't go to heaven immediately when we die. The verse are Acts 2:29, and 34. I guess the question here is since David was a man after God's own heart, would he not be in heaven now? Or am I reading these verses wrong? Another verse would be John 3:13.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

There are many harvest of souls in the Bible. They are clearly laid out. I placed a post in Bible and Scripture - The Time of the Gentiles which details some of the common understanding of these events. I included some background prophetic language to help with the scriptures. If after that you still have questions I may be able to point in the right direction.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

frankbaginski wrote:There are many harvest of souls in the Bible. They are clearly laid out. I placed a post in Bible and Scripture - The Time of the Gentiles which details some of the common understanding of these events. I included some background prophetic language to help with the scriptures. If after that you still have questions I may be able to point in the right direction.
I have read this post now Frank, and I don't really see anything that helps me out as far as what is the reward of the saved. All I have seen are your descriptions of God's Holy Days. (Which, by the way, I don't agree with either, but that can be a later post). 8)
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

Jen,

The big reward of the saved is of course is to spend eternity with God. Beyond this all else is nothing. There are a few scriptures that indicate that some works can place you at different levels of reward.

Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Rev 4:4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

If there is a least and a great in heaven then there is some kind of reward.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I agree with this. My point is WHEN? The bible clearly says no one has seen heaven. So if that is the reward, when do we go to heaven? :econfused:
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:I agree with this. My point is WHEN? The bible clearly says no one has seen heaven. So if that is the reward, when do we go to heaven? :econfused:
To be absent from the body is to ne present with the Lord. 8)
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

:brick: This doesn't help. WHEN is the question here.
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote::brick: This doesn't help. WHEN is the question here.
Careful, you might knock some sense into yourself. :P :lol: We are absent from the body at the exact time of our physical death. :)
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yeah maybe I might get some sense somewhere. I'm not really getting much sense from this. The David question came out of Acts, which was after Jesus died. So if David wasn't in heaven in Acts, then where was he?
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

jenwat3 wrote:I have found a few scriptures that seem to imply that we don't go to heaven immediately when we die. The verse are Acts 2:29, and 34. I guess the question here is since David was a man after God's own heart, would he not be in heaven now? Or am I reading these verses wrong? Another verse would be John 3:13.
The greek word for sepulchre is mnaymion meaning grave (vs.29) Verse 34 refers to Davids body in resurrection, not his soul which is in heaven. Jn. 3:13 is of the same terms i.e. Christ being first fruits is the only bodily resurrection.

Best I can tell the Bible doesn't teach soul "sleep".
I am the wretch the song refers to.
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:Yeah maybe I might get some sense somewhere. I'm not really getting much sense from this. The David question came out of Acts, which was after Jesus died. So if David wasn't in heaven in Acts, then where was he?
I think it is talking more about David not being risen from the dead and physically ascending to heaven like Jesus did. Before Jesus came all saints prior to that were in a compartment hades called paradise. This is how I understand it right now...but I could be wrong.

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Cross.eyed wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:I have found a few scriptures that seem to imply that we don't go to heaven immediately when we die. The verse are Acts 2:29, and 34. I guess the question here is since David was a man after God's own heart, would he not be in heaven now? Or am I reading these verses wrong? Another verse would be John 3:13.
The greek word for sepulchre is mnaymion meaning grave (vs.29) Verse 34 refers to Davids body in resurrection, not his soul which is in heaven. Jn. 3:13 is of the same terms i.e. Christ being first fruits is the only bodily resurrection.

No, it doesn't teach that. That is true. From what I gather it teaches soul DEATH until the resurrection.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

jenwat3 wrote:
Cross.eyed wrote:

No, it doesn't teach that. That is true. From what I gather it teaches soul DEATH until the resurrection.
I'm unclear how you have reached that conclusion. My own studies-with commentaries and other books-tell the oppisite: The soul goes to heaven to be judged for rewards. Christ took captivity captive from the compartment of paradise. Paradise now being empty and sheol still being used.
Soul DEATH neither fits logically, what would be the purpose of killing the soul that would lie in state until the bodily resurrection?
Remember how Abraham was able to converse with the rich man?

Please bear in mind, I'm not arguing with you I just can't understand why GOD wouldn't want us with him nor can I find any evidence to the contrary.
I am the wretch the song refers to.