going to hell?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: going to hell?

Post by Byblos »

jenwat3 wrote:Thank you Frank. It is good to know at least SOMEONE appreciates SOME things I do. :ewink:
My wife is also a nurse (who chose to be a stay-at-home mom). When she did work she saw her fair share of pain and death. I could never do what you guys do; you ought to be commended for it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Byblos wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:Thank you Frank. It is good to know at least SOMEONE appreciates SOME things I do. :ewink:
My wife is also a nurse (who chose to be a stay-at-home mom). When she did work she saw her fair share of pain and death. I could never do what you guys do; you ought to be commanded for it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Not only that! They should be commended for it too .....

:mrgreen: :shakehead: :pound: :wave: y#-o 8-}2

(forgive me .... I couldn't resist ..... I give you full licence to nail me on my next typo and it shouldn't take long .....)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Thank you Byblos. It can be very sad sometimes, and tough. But I personally also find it very rewarding, since I actually can be there during some people's last moments. A lot of these people don't have anyone to come visit them, so being there for them makes it all worthwhile. Just letting them know that there IS someone who cares means more to them than anyone can imagine.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

jenwat3 wrote:Thank you Byblos. It can be very sad sometimes, and tough. But I personally also find it very rewarding, since I actually can be there during some people's last moments. A lot of these people don't have anyone to come visit them, so being there for them makes it all worthwhile. Just letting them know that there IS someone who cares means more to them than anyone can imagine.
I don't have the depth of experience you do as a nurse, but for many years I was a chaplain with the American Cancer Society and I was present for the final days and at times the final moments of cancer patients. I found more than anything, being there was all the statement I needed to make. People don't really care what you have to say about caring until they see you caring.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
jenwat3 wrote:Thank you Byblos. It can be very sad sometimes, and tough. But I personally also find it very rewarding, since I actually can be there during some people's last moments. A lot of these people don't have anyone to come visit them, so being there for them makes it all worthwhile. Just letting them know that there IS someone who cares means more to them than anyone can imagine.
I don't have the depth of experience you do as a nurse, but for many years I was a chaplain with the American Cancer Society and I was present for the final days and at times the final moments of cancer patients. I found more than anything, being there was all the statement I needed to make. People don't really care what you have to say about caring until they see you caring.
It is very true what you say about caring. And maybe you should be "commanded" as well. :ewink:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
My wife is also a nurse (who chose to be a stay-at-home mom). When she did work she saw her fair share of pain and death. I could never do what you guys do; you ought to be commended for it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Not only that! They should be commended for it too .....

:mrgreen: :shakehead: :pound: :wave: y#-o 8-}2

(forgive me .... I couldn't resist ..... I give you full licence to nail me on my next typo and it shouldn't take long .....)
Hey I don't know what you're talking about 8) (ok, I post-edited). And it's license buddy (that was on purpose wasn't it? :wink:).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

Thank's for the nice thoughts and comments. :)

Paul
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Pierac wrote:Thank's for the nice thoughts and comments. :)

Paul
Good to see you back! :wave:
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

jenna wrote:Yes, but if we are to take this verse literally, or at face value, then why did Jesus say that no man has seen heaven or the face of God? :?
No man(kind) has seen heaven or for that matter, hell either-only souls-not mankind.
Problem solved??
I am the wretch the song refers to.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

It would be solved if you believe that man and souls are two different things. The body we have is merely 'clothing". We are, in ourselves, souls. Man does not have a soul, we ARE souls.
Pierac
Established Member

Post by Pierac »

Jenna wrote:
It would be solved if you believe that man and souls are two different things. The body we have is merely 'clothing". We are, in ourselves, souls. Man does not have a soul, we ARE souls.
Yes, we are souls. What makes us alive is the Spirit. Remove the Spirit and the soul/body dies!

Psa 146:4 His spirit (H7307 “breath”) departs, he returns to the earth; In that very day his thoughts perish.

Ecc 3:19 For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath(H7307 “Spirit”) and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.

Gen 6:3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit (H7307 “breath”) shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."

Jam 4:5 Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit (G4151 “breath”) which He has made to dwell in us"?

H7307
rûach
roo'-akh
From H7306; wind; by resemblance breath, that is, a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions): - air, anger, blast, breath, X cool, courage, mind, X quarter, X side, spirit ([-ual]), tempest, X vain, ([whirl-]) wind (-y).

G4151
πνεῦμα
pneuma
pnyoo'-mah
From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is, (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy spirit: - ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590.

1Th 4:8 So, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit (G4151) to you.

Yes, it the Spirit of God (the Father) who gives HIS own Spirit… to you my friend. So that you may live.

Paul
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

Hi all,

When people are taken to heaven or the future they are taken there in the spirit. What is confusing is they have all of their bodily parts with them. So the spirit either has these as well or they are given them for the trip. It is just a choice of God how He does it. The body does stay on earth, there are few verses that speck to this. The one in Daniel is the best for me.

God is outside of time so He knows who will decide to walk in the spirit and who will not. This has nothing to do with our freewill. He just knows because He has already seen us decide. We are on a timeline so we cannot see into the future. He of course has no such limitation. The book of life probably has all of the names that ever will be written in it already there. Think of it this way, you enter a city you have never been in, you pick a building at random, you pick a door at random, you pick a seat at a table at random. Your name is on the plate, you are expected. He knows the end from the beginning, we of course do not.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok, Frank. Now I'm REALLY confused. The body stays on earth, but people have all their body parts when they go to heaven? :econfused:
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

Jenna,

Just a different one thats all. It is the body that we get to see Christ as He actually is. That just means we see a subset of reality here on earth.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

jenna wrote:Ok, Frank. Now I'm REALLY confused. The body stays on earth, but people have all their body parts when they go to heaven? :econfused:
The body is made new...the old is perishable the new, imperishable.