problem with translations

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Deborah
Christian: No

problem with translations

Post by Deborah »

in hebrew Iēsous pronouced ee-ay-sooce'
Of Hebrew origin Jesus (that is, Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites: - Jesus.

or Yeshua pronoinced yah-shoo'-ah
For H3 he will save; Jeshua, the name of two Israelites, also of a place in Palestine: - Jeshua

this is kind of confusing me.
someone want to throw some light on it please.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

"Iēsous" is actually Greek, pronounced like you spelled it. As you note, it comes from the Hebrew "Yeshua," from which we get "Jesus."

Going by the Greek, you have three (I guess) other people documented by that name (I know two from secular history, and, of course, our Lord). Going by the Hebrew, you have two, apparently, people documented who go by that name.

For example, in Korean, "Jesus" is "Yeh-soo" or "Yeh-soo-nim" (either works). Though unlikely, you may find a Koran named Yeh-soo. His name wouldn't be Jesus or Yeshua or Joshua . . . it would be Yeh-soo. So, there were some people named Iēsou, and others named Yeshua. Jesus' historical name was probably Yeshua, and it was probably just translated into Greek, as that was the common language of the time. Or, it is possible that He went by both names, being that "Iēsou" would have been a little more understandable. I don't guess we can know for sure, but either is possible.

Hope that helps :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

In spanish, it's pronounced hey-zeus. I met a guy on the bus by that name, he seemed like a nice enough fellow.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

vajaradakini, you mean you saw Jesus and you still don't believe??? ;) :P

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, he didn't do anything particularly magical. He had a really pretty girl with him, that's about it.