Grace - what is Grace?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Grace - what is Grace?

Post by B. W. »

Howdy All,

I was curious in finding out how people define Grace — God's Grace. So here are two questions:

How do you define Grace?

What does God's Grace mean to you?
-
-
-
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Grace - what is Grace?

Post by FFC »

B. W. wrote:Howdy All,

I was curious in finding out how people define Grace — God's Grace. So here are two questions:

How do you define Grace? -
Grace is God doing for us what we couldn't do for ourselves. Not just at the moment of our salvation, but every sanctified step of the way.
B.W. wrote:What does God's Grace mean to you?
It means I can stop trying to do something to get something. It means that my efforts accomplish nothing, so I might as well relax and trust God do it through me. This is very freeing, but often surprisingly hard to retain intellectually. Thank God there is grace for even that.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

How do you define Grace?
Good question... Basically to extend a favor or kindness to one who doesn't deserve it and can never earn it.. Something that Christ did for us.. :wink:
B. W. wrote:What does God's Grace mean to you?
I guess the way I've always looked at it is a train (or my sin) roaring down the tracks about ready to plow into me.. And just before it hits me, Christ pushes me aside, saves me, and then takes the hit FOR me..

It's funny in a way... We see this plot in the movies all the time and we wonder why we are drawn to them.. It's a wonder like the movie "Titanic" is one of the biggest grossing movies of all time.. And what made people cry or connect to the movie? At the end where the ship is sinking into the cold Atlantic ocean, and the guy let's the woman float and live on a piece of wood while he shivers to death and drowns..

Its all there... We are always drawn to the underdog.. The person who lays it on the line for others.. The solider who was killed in Iraq the other day when someone threw a grenade into the tank and instead of running away (which is our main response to trauma or self preservation) he takes the hit for the other guys.. That my friend in honor!! We as human beings understand this type of grace and promote those who follow this example... It's in our very nature (to understand) and all cultures know what it means...

And this is EXACTLY what Christ did for us...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Gman wrote:

How do you define Grace?
Good question... Basically to extend a favor or kindness to one who doesn't deserve it and can never earn it.. Something that Christ did for us.. :wink:
B. W. wrote:What does God's Grace mean to you?
I guess the way I've always looked at it is a train (or my sin) roaring down the tracks about ready to plow into me.. And just before it hits me, Christ pushes me aside, saves me, and then takes the hit FOR me..

It's funny in a way... We see this plot in the movies all the time and we wonder why we are drawn to them.. It's a wonder like the movie "Titanic" is one of the biggest grossing movies of all time.. And what made people cry or connect to the movie? At the end where the ship is sinking into the cold Atlantic ocean, and the guy let's the woman float and live on a piece of wood while he shivers to death and drowns..

Its all there... We are always drawn to the underdog.. The person who lays it on the line for others.. The solider who was killed in Iraq the other day when someone threw a grenade into the tank and instead of running away (which is our main response to trauma or self preservation) he takes the hit for the other guys.. That my friend in honor!! We as human beings understand this type of grace and promote those who follow this example... It's in our very nature (to understand) and all cultures know what it means...

And this is EXACTLY what Christ did for us...

Or you can say it this way:

God's Grace is the gift of God Himself :!: :idea:
-
-
-
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Grace is something you really do not deserve and something you couldn't possibly earn.

It is a mind blowing powerful thing.

What Gods grace means to me is him emptying himself of everything he is so he can come to earth and die the most excrutiating death known to man just so he can save me as if i am the only person on this planet.

Like i said - mind blowing.

God Bless

Silvertusk
andyredeemed
Recognized Member
Christian: No

what is grace

Post by andyredeemed »

It might sound a bit cheesy, but not long after I became a Christian, someone wrote in the front of my bible:
G God's
R riches
A at
C Christ's
E expense.

Which I have always found useful as a starting point for meditation.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: what is grace

Post by B. W. »

andyredeemed wrote:It might sound a bit cheesy, but not long after I became a Christian, someone wrote in the front of my bible:
G God's
R riches
A at
C Christ's
E expense.

Which I have always found useful as a starting point for meditation.

Not cheesy at all, in fact very good!
-
-
-