What Would You Have Asked Lazarus?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

B.W. wrote:So — are you stating that God is a murderer eternally sending one off into non-existence in some sort of punishing flames that really do not punish but punish because the flames remain but the person therein does not? — is that your charge
DonCameron wrote:I don't think of God as a Murderer. Although I guess it could be said that he is an Executioner. But I definitely don't think of him as a Tormentor and certainly not a Torturer!
Don
So in your opinion, eternal death — nothingness — is punishment and yet flames are eternal? Why would flames be forever burning up nothingness? What point would God have in that?

Punishment is just recompense — what a person's sow's that they will also reap. Eternal punishment is just recompense — what a person's sow's that they will also reap meaning eternal as God will not extinguish life.

Yes, God can do anything he wants as nothing is impossible with God. Could God make that proverbial rock He cannot pick up, which would prove God cannot do all things. This analogy describes how Satan works trying to make God do an impossible demand. Yes God can blast one off into non-existence but would this be one of those rocks He cannot pick up?

God is a God of the living — not the DEAD. Yes people do die in mortal life but they do continue in the afterlife as God made man in His Image and Likeness and placed eternity within our hearts. So for God to extinguish life into non-existence extinguishes His gift of life to men and women. The gifts and callings of God are without repentance. Whatever God does is forever. We have His word on this.

God will not renege on that Gift. God promises to keep his word no matter what. The only limits God has are those He imposes upon Himself. He does so to ensare the wicked who spend time tempting and testing God daring that He make that impossible rock to pick up. God keeps his word as this proves that He is a God of Character and also this defines as well as proves what all powerful truly means. God keeps His word and will perform it. He will not take life and extinguish it into a state of non-existence.

Instead he gives eternal recompense and grants those that do not want God, or hate God, or deny God, or do not want to retain the knowledge of God a place as they so desire — a place banished and separated from God. A place where what they sow — they will reap. Since there is no non-existence — justice does have consequences.

Also, if one were permitted into heaven after a temporary affliction in Hell, they would learn to view punishment as temporary and can sin and rebel in heaven as there would be no true justice. Likewise, if death is non-existence then God reneges on life, as well as on His word, His gift. God's justice and judgment then has no real consequences and you have proved the proverbail rock true.
-
-
-
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

DonCameron wrote:Hi Jac3510,

Yes, your explanation helped to explain why you feel that the term "everlasting life in hell" is incorrect.

I think you are saying that the term "everlasting life" or "eternal life" refers to the type of life that can only be experienced in heaven. Therefore associating that term with hell would not be acceptable.

While I know the Bible never uses the expression "eternal life in hell," I don't recall that it ever uses the expression "eternal life in heaven" either. Does it? - Romans 6:23

Don
You should be able to see from my previous discussions why the phrase "eternal life in heaven" would be fairly pointless. It would be like saying "ATM Machine" or "SAT Test." Eternal life IS everlasting life in heaven.

Now, let's pick on the verbage even a bit more. We won't spend eternity "in heaven." We will spend eternity here on good ol' earth, albeit in a renewed state. Rev. 21 depicts this well. The eternal kingdom that Christ will establish will be an earthly kingdom. God will remove the curse, and we will live for all of eternity in a physical world, obviously much better than this one. We won't be some ethereal, spiritual mists being "in oneness with God." Life will be everlasting. There will be no more death or dying then.

Against this, we have the everlasting torture that is the lake of fire. Daniel explicitly says in Dan. 12:2 that some will be raised (in the body) to everlasting shame and contempt. John says in Rev. 14 that the torment of the lost will last forever. Isaiah says in Is. 64 that "the worm" of the dead "shall not die." And the bodies will be around for people to see. And since we will live forever, it follows that the bodies will be around forever.

Now, one more thing: the Bible says that the lake of fire was prepared for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41). Now, that fire is explicitly said to be "eternal." The verse equally says that this fire is where the damned will be sentenced. But here is the question: if the lake of fire is a symbolic place that represents people simply no longer existing, then why was this place "prepared" for Satan? Why, if God simply has it in mind to make him no longer exist, then what is this place of preparation? To make matters more explicit, John says in Rev. 20:10--
  • The Devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet are, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever (CSB)
Notice a couple of things with me here.

First, the beast and false prophet ARE in the lake of fire (at this time in history, which most commonly is interpreted as yet future). Now, however you want to take this, the beast and false prophet were thrown into the lake, and at a very distant time in the future, Satan is thrown into it. And, notice, the beast and prophet are STILL THERE.

Second, notice it says "they will be tormented." If the beast and prophet were no longer existing (as they had been extinguished), then who is "they"? Clearly, the verse says the devil, the beast, and the false prophet are all in the Lake. That kills annihilationalism.

And, of course, thirdly, this says they will be tormented "forever and ever." The Greek words here mean just that: forever and ever.

So, all this taken together, I don't see any way to get around the clear biblical teaching that Satan, his angels, the beast, the false prophet, and those who die without Christ will be thrown forever into the lake of fire, where they will be tormented day and night for all of eternity. The Bible says it, and that's got to be enough.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Good post, Jac. I have a question about one element:
Jac wrote:And the bodies will be around for people to see. And since we will live forever, it follows that the bodies will be around forever.
I hope you don't mean we will walk around on this good earth and see the bodies of the wicked strewn all over the place. At first glance, it sounded somewhat like that. (Please don't pick on the verbage saying a 'glance' can't 'sound'. :lol:)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

LoL, nah, I don't believe we will see dead bodies strewn about on the new earth. It seems to me the Lake of Fire is, and will continue to be, a physical place - a sort of dump, if you will. It will be outside of the Kingdom, and quite possibly quarantined, but we can't assert that without going beyond the text. In the end, the text does say that these bodies will be available for viewing:
  • As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me," declares the LORD, "so will your name and descendants endure. From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD. "And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." (Is. 66:22-24, NIV)
This can't be spiritualized, because it clearly states this is in "the new heavens and the new earth." So, again, when we take this in conjunction with other verses referenced, I just don't see a way to get around the idea: there will be a physical place where the bodies of the damned will be cast, and in that place they will be tormented for all of eternity. This place was originally prepared for Satan and his angels, but it will also be inhabited by those who have died in their sins, and they will inhabit it for all of eternity.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
DonCameron
Established Member

Post by DonCameron »

Hi Jac,

You said...

I just don't see a way to get around the idea: there will be a physical place where the bodies of the damned will be cast, and in that place they will be tormented for all of eternity

Do you believe that the soul is immortal and therefore that's why the everlasting punishment must be consciously felt for all eternity?

What if the Bible didn't teach that the soul is immortal? Would that make any difference in how you understand what the everlasting punishment will be?

If you became convinced that the Bible doesn't teach that our soul is immortal, might that help you "see a way to get around the idea" of conscious everlasting punishment?

Or wouldn't that make any difference to you?

Don
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by FFC »

DonCameron wrote:Hi Jac,

You said...

I just don't see a way to get around the idea: there will be a physical place where the bodies of the damned will be cast, and in that place they will be tormented for all of eternity

Do you believe that the soul is immortal and therefore that's why the everlasting punishment must be consciously felt for all eternity?

What if the Bible didn't teach that the soul is immortal? Would that make any difference in how you understand what the everlasting punishment will be?

If you became convinced that the Bible doesn't teach that our soul is immortal, might that help you "see a way to get around the idea" of conscious everlasting punishment?

Don
Don, why is it so important to you that we share your view of this issue?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

You said...

Don
Not if a "mortal" soul contradicts the rest of the Bible. Besides, I don't believe in an "immortal" soul. I've already demonstrated that those in Hell will experience that torment in a body of flesh. See my previous post, Don. There is no way around the issue because it what Scirpture clearly teaches. The only thing I'm open to on this is exegesis, and what little you have provided has been at best alternate explanations. And those explanations have been extremely weak, in my opinion. It boils down to the simple fact that you are having to explain away what the text obviously says. That's your problem, not mine. There are doctrines in the Bible I don't like. This is one of them. But I am inclined to believe that God knows best, and I'm certainly not going to be the one who questions Him on such matters.

Anyway, I'm done here. I've presented what the Bible says. It's up to you to accept or reject that. I'm comfortable with what I've written. Let the reader decide, I say. If you want to continue to offer arguments, feel free, but I've laid out my case. There's just no way around what the Bible actually says.
DonCameron
Established Member

Post by DonCameron »

Jac,

I won't persue this matter with you any further.

Don
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jac3510 wrote:

You said...

Don
Not if a "mortal" soul contradicts the rest of the Bible. Besides, I don't believe in an "immortal" soul. I've already demonstrated that those in Hell will experience that torment in a body of flesh. See my previous post, Don. There is no way around the issue because it what Scirpture clearly teaches. The only thing I'm open to on this is exegesis, and what little you have provided has been at best alternate explanations. And those explanations have been extremely weak, in my opinion. It boils down to the simple fact that you are having to explain away what the text obviously says. That's your problem, not mine. There are doctrines in the Bible I don't like. This is one of them. But I am inclined to believe that God knows best, and I'm certainly not going to be the one who questions Him on such matters.

Anyway, I'm done here. I've presented what the Bible says. It's up to you to accept or reject that. I'm comfortable with what I've written. Let the reader decide, I say. If you want to continue to offer arguments, feel free, but I've laid out my case. There's just no way around what the Bible actually says.
Notes on Matthew 25:31-46: jac maybe yu can add more here...

The classical meaning of the Greek word used in Matthew 25:46 is divine retribution and in context of the the theme of the sheep and the goats it denotes everlasting retribution. This would therefore take on this meaning: that those who were termed as "goats" in text will be experiencing in just measure what the victims of their neglect suffered from their neglect. This is divine retribution. Philo and other classical Greek writers used the word to denote this type of retribution. The Greek text here means the samething.

Next, the Anathorus used in the Greek words translated 'eternal' stresses and denotes an extreme emphatic importance. So the correct meaning of the word is made absolutely clear as everlasting as in, on going, and never-ending and not temporal. Therefore this statement of Jesus is of extreme importance and changes not.

Eternal life and eternal punishment,i.e. divine retribution, are both eternal. You cannot say one means everlasting forever and the other cannot due to the use of the grammar of the text prevents this.

It takes a bit of scripture twisting and grammar bending to make one word translated 'eternal' to mean one thing and used again in the same sentence say it means something else when regarding eternal retribution.
-
-
-
DonCameron
Established Member

Post by DonCameron »

Hello again B.W.

You asked me ...

So in your opinion, eternal death — nothingness — is punishment and yet flames are eternal? Why would flames be forever burning up nothingness? What point would God have in that?

Yes. My understanding at this point is that the everlasting punishment is death. A death from which one can never escape. An unconscious condition that lasts forever.

I also feel that the withholding of God's gift of "everlasting life" is a punishment. And not having one's name written in "the book of life" is also part of the punishment.

But I don't picture literal flames, or a lake of fire that physically exists anywhere in the heavens or on earth (or under the earth). That fire that Jesus referred to several times, that was located in the garbage dump named "Gehenna," no longer exists. But what that fire represented does still exists.

Just as the fire in Gehenna was used to everlastingly destroy whatever was thrown into it, that's what I feel "the lake of fire" of the book of Revelation symbolizes - everlasting destruction of everything that is said to be thrown into it. - Matthew 10:28

Although the condition of "death" and the place called "Hades" cannot be tormented or tortured with a literal fire, they can be destroyed. Rev. 21:4 says that eventually "death will be no more" and 1 Corinthians 15:26 says that death will eventually be "brought to nothing." Apparently those promises will be fulfilled when death is said to be thrown into "the second death." - Rev. 20:14

I agree with you that if there is a real lake of fire then what would be the sense of putting those who have ceased to exist into it? Or, If people don't exist, then why would there be any need of an everlasting fire? I agree that that wouldn't make any sense.

But if that lake of fire is just a symbol of everlasting destruction that causes people to cease to exist forever, then that does make sense - to me.

Don
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

DonCameron wrote: Hello again B.W. You asked me ...

Yes. My understanding at this point is that the everlasting punishment is death. A death from which one can never escape. An unconscious condition that lasts forever.

I also feel that the withholding of God's gift of "everlasting life" is a punishment. And not having one's name written in "the book of life" is also part of the punishment.

But I don't picture literal flames, or a lake of fire that physically exists anywhere in the heavens or on earth (or under the earth). That fire that Jesus referred to several times, that was located in the garbage dump named "Gehenna," no longer exists. But what that fire represented does still exists.

Just as the fire in Gehenna was used to everlastingly destroy whatever was thrown into it, that's what I feel "the lake of fire" of the book of Revelation symbolizes - everlasting destruction of everything that is said to be thrown into it. - Matthew 10:28

Although the condition of "death" and the place called "Hades" cannot be tormented or tortured with a literal fire, they can be destroyed. Rev. 21:4 says that eventually "death will be no more" and 1 Corinthians 15:26 says that death will eventually be "brought to nothing." Apparently those promises will be fulfilled when death is said to be thrown into "the second death." - Rev 20:14

I agree with you that if there is a real lake of fire then what would be the sense of putting those who have ceased to exist into it? Or, If people don't exist, then why would there be any need of an everlasting fire? I agree that that wouldn't make any sense.

But if that lake of fire is just a symbol of everlasting destruction that causes people to cease to exist forever, then that does make sense - to me......Don
Don,

You cannot twist the text as you do and pick and choose what one word means and another not. You cannot discount the story of Lazarus either as a metaphysical description and a cute story of some symbolic importance.

Ezekiel 32:28-32 describe the Old Testament description of hell-hades as it currently is as a round burial chamber with the ruler placed in the middle and the their followers placed in cells, or rooms embedded into the walls of this pit and going into the further recesses of the wall. It describes that Pharaoh of Moses' time being awake and conscience as he see's all that followed him are suffering too. They are awake and not asleep. This domain is the one foretold in Revelations as being cast into the lake of fire.

The figure of speech - sleep the sleep of death is a metaphor denoting judgement and recompense. It was never intended as soul sleep or eternal non-being as punishment. There is no punishment in non-being. Think on that for awhile.

I'll ask you one more thing directly to you: there are reports of people being brought back to life by medical means and many report seeing hell as it currently is.

According to your belief system, you will most likely state that these reports are just due to a lack of oxygen or some other cause or repressed memory. Yet, if these same type of reports tell of no punishment and only eternal bliss - you most likely might believe these as factual.

Satan and the forces of darkness are very subtle and cunning. They'll sell a bill of goods that sound good, noble, and pure but that is just the bait to lure the unsuspecting into a trap. You have heard this old saying before, "if it sounds too good to be true, then it is." Too bad you cannot see what you are trying to sell. Jesus warned us about hell in the Lazarus and Rich man account and also in several other places.

I am glad Jesus did warned us but from what I read from your post - you try to discount Jesus' own warnings and explain them away as well as cause others to question Jesus' own words on this matter. It seems you are seeking not truth about this matter but fishing for souls.

Eternal non-being is not punishment or recompense as the very definitions in Hebrew, Greek, English, Spanish, and all human language are violated by suggesting this this means non-being.

Non-being cannot see or feel - yet those described in Ezekiel 32:1-32 see, feel, and suffer in just measure what they had inflicted. So did the Rich man in the Lazarus account as well as others medically brought back to life and seen that place called hell. These do no paint a picture that sounds to good to be true. They report what they saw as did Jesus.

Eternal non-being sounds too good to be true - why? It denies justice and the eternity that God placed in the human heart. It denies God the life he gave humanity as what he does last forever so to snuff out life would in essence cause God to deny himself - his life giving nature.

God holds to account what one does with his gift as the gift of life that God gives last forever - where does the reader want to spent eternity?Jesus came to set us free from the bondage of sin and death.
DonCameron wrote:I agree with you that if there is a real lake of fire then what would be the sense of putting those who have ceased to exist into it? Or, If people don't exist, then why would there be any need of an everlasting fire? I agree that that wouldn't make any sense.

But if that lake of fire is just a symbol of everlasting destruction that causes people to cease to exist forever, then that does make sense - to me.
It is not a symbol but a reality - a metaphor: where those mentioned in Revelations 22:15 will reside outside the city in a land best forgotten but never left to remain unseen - unknown reminding what once was shall never be again. Great is the riddle.
-
-
-
DonCameron
Established Member

Post by DonCameron »

B.W.,

You said...
You cannot twist the text as you do and pick and choose what one word means and another not. You cannot discount the story of Lazarus either as a metaphysical description and a cute story of some symbolic importance.

First of all, I'm not the only one who feels that Jesus was not trying to teach what goes on in Hades. Here is what Turgonian said about Jesus' parable about Lazarus and the rich man...

A lot of orthodox Christians believe in everlasting punishment, but not in a literal fire. So the rich man might just have been thirsty. Others think the parable should just be taken not as a literal description of hell, but a story illustrating status-reversal to come in the afterlife. Please don't assume that everyone who talks about eternal punishment means fire and brimstone.

And so B.W. it isn't just me that does not take what Jesus said literally.

Of course I cannot speak for others, but one of the reasons I personally don't take it literally is because Jesus put the rich man in the wrong place. The place of everlasting punishment with fire is "Gehenna" not "Hades."

Another reason is because of what the Bible explains will eventually happen to Hades. In Revelation 20:13 it says that sometime in the future everyone in it will come out (including any rich people who happen to be in it). This will leave Hades empty. And then in verse 14 it says that the empty Hades will be thrown into "the second death."

I take this to mean that Hades will then be no more - just as Revelation 21:4 says that "death will be no more" when it too is thrown into the same "second death." Since people won't be dying any more, there won't be any more need for a place to put them. i.e. Hades.

Since the second death brings a permanent end to death and Hades, I conclude that it also brings a permanent end to everyone who is said to be thrown into it. - Rev. 20:15

Some on this Forum have expressed their dislike of the idea that the everlasting punishment will be consciously felt (either with or without a literal fire). But they feel that they have no choice but to accept that belief because they sincerely believe this is the Bible teaches - about Lazarus and the rich man, for example.

But in my case, the above is a way of understanding what Jesus said in this case so that he is not teaching about a conscious everlasting punishment by fire.

What do you think it means when death and Hades are thrown into the second death?

Don
P.S. I'll comment on some of your other thoughts later.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

DonCameron wrote:First of all, I'm not the only one who feels that Jesus was not trying to teach what goes on in Hades. Here is what Turgonian said about Jesus' parable about Lazarus and the rich man...

A lot of orthodox Christians believe in everlasting punishment, but not in a literal fire. So the rich man might just have been thirsty. Others think the parable should just be taken not as a literal description of hell, but a story illustrating status-reversal to come in the afterlife. Please don't assume that everyone who talks about eternal punishment means fire and brimstone.

And so B.W. it isn't just me that does not take what Jesus said literally.

Of course I cannot speak for others, but one of the reasons I personally don't take it literally is because Jesus put the rich man in the wrong place. The place of everlasting punishment with fire is "Gehenna" not "Hades."

Another reason is because of what the Bible explains will eventually happen to Hades. In Revelation 20:13 it says that sometime in the future everyone in it will come out (including any rich people who happen to be in it). This will leave Hades empty. And then in verse 14 it says that the empty Hades will be thrown into "the second death."

I take this to mean that Hades will then be no more - just as Revelation 21:4 says that "death will be no more" when it too is thrown into the same "second death." Since people won't be dying any more, there won't be any more need for a place to put them. i.e. Hades.

Since the second death brings a permanent end to death and Hades, I conclude that it also brings a permanent end to everyone who is said to be thrown into it. - Rev. 20:15

Some on this Forum have expressed their dislike of the idea that the everlasting punishment will be consciously felt (either with or without a literal fire). But they feel that they have no choice but to accept that belief because they sincerely believe this is the Bible teaches - about Lazarus and the rich man, for example.

But in my case, the above is a way of understanding what Jesus said in this case so that he is not teaching about a conscious everlasting punishment by fire.

What do you think it means when death and Hades are thrown into the second death?

Don
First of all, I am not asking what Turgonian believes about the Rich man and Lazarus but you directly as you do not believe in everlasting punishment lasting for ever. Now on to this comment you made:
I take this to mean that Hades will then be no more - just as Revelation 21:4 says that "death will be no more" when it too is thrown into the same "second death." Since people won't be dying any more, there won't be any more need for a place to put them. i.e. Hades. Since the second death brings a permanent end to death and Hades, I conclude that it also brings a permanent end to everyone who is said to be thrown into it. - Rev. 20:15
Rev 20:11-15, “11 I saw a great white throne with someone sitting on it. Earth and heaven tried to run away, but there was no place for them to go. 12 I also saw all the dead people standing in front of that throne. Every one of them was there, no matter who they had once been. Several books were opened, and then the book of life was opened. The dead were judged by what those books said they had done. 13 The sea gave up the dead people who were in it, and death and its kingdom also gave up their dead. Then everyone was judged by what they had done. 14 Afterwards, death and its kingdom were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name wasn't written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.” CEV

According to your view, these people will be thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire, in your opinion, means eternal death — non-being and non-existence. The individuals tossed into it are no more and all memory of them will cease as this is how you interpret Ecclesiastes 9:5, “For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.” KJV

Is this correct?

Now look at Revelations 21:1-4, “I saw a new heaven and a new earth. The first heaven and the first earth had disappeared, and so had the sea. 2 Then I saw New Jerusalem, that holy city, coming down from God in heaven. It was like a bride dressed in her wedding gown and ready to meet her husband. 3 I heard a loud voice shout from the throne: God's home is now with his people. He will live with them, and they will be his own. Yes, God will make his home among his people. 4 He will wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever.” CEV

After the wicked are tossed into this lake of fire — the New Jerusalem will come down from the New Heavens and God will live amongst his people. The Lord will “wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever.” Is this correct?

Revelations 22:1-7 then states, “The angel showed me a river that was crystal clear, and its waters gave life. The river came from the throne where God and the Lamb were seated. 2 Then it flowed down the middle of the city's main street. On each side of the river are trees that grow a different kind of fruit each month of the year. The fruit gives life, and the leaves are used as medicine to heal the nations. 3 God's curse will no longer be on the people of that city. He and the Lamb will be seated there on their thrones, and its people will worship God 4 and will see him face to face. God's name will be written on the foreheads of the people. 5 Never again will night appear, and no one who lives there will ever need a lamp or the sun. The Lord God will be their light, and they will rule forever. 6 Then I was told: These words are true and can be trusted. The Lord God controls the spirits of his prophets, and he is the one who sent his angel to show his servants what must happen right away. 7 Remember, I am coming soon! God will bless everyone who pays attention to the message of this book.” CEV

From the book we can see that God, after the white throne judgment will cast the wicked into the lake of fire, where according to your viewpoint of annihilationism, these people no-longer existence and all memory of them are erased eternally. Further more we can see that in the New Heavens, New Earth, and the New Jerusalem there will be no more death and sin as the old has past away. Is this correct?

Revelations 22:14-15, “God will bless all who have washed their robes. They will each have the right to eat fruit from the tree that gives life, and they can enter the gates of the city. 15 But outside the city will be dogs, witches, immoral people, murderers, idol worshipers, and everyone who loves to tell lies and do wrong.”

As you can see, you those that can eat from the tree can enter the gates of the City. However, verse 15 states “But outside the city will be dogs, witches, immoral people, murderers, idol worshipers, and everyone who loves to tell lies and do wrong.”

Question: There is no more death and sin at this point in time in the New Heavens, New Earth, and the New Jerusalem. Who are these people? Where are they? Wasn't sin and death and all the wicked tossed into the lake of fire and no long exist and no memory of them either?

If the memory of the dead is forgotten by destruction as your interpretation of Ecclesiastes 9:5 states, “For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.” KJV — therefore how can these people in Revelations 22: 15 exist in this stage of the game?

Revelations 22: 15 “But outside the city will be dogs, witches, immoral people, murderers, idol worshipers, and everyone who loves to tell lies and do wrong.” CEV

These people in the correct timeline and context of the Book of Revelations make it clear this is after the events of Revelations 20:11-15, not before, not during, after. To say otherwise invokes severe consequence. Therefore, who are these individuals and where do they reside? Outside the gates where the lake of fire exist! You see, these people still exist and the smoke of their torment ascends forever just as Jesus stated.

Since there will be a New Heavens, New Earth, and the New Jerusalem there will also be a new Hell — a lake of fire — literal, metaphor, symbol matters not. A place set aside outside the city where [human] dogs, witches, immoral people, murderers, idol worshipers, and everyone who loves to tell lies and does wrong will remain as Jesus warned us about many-many times. These people will not be gone from memory, nor will they come into a state of eternal non-existence, but instead will remain in a fiery land of recompense chosen to be forgotten by many but in reality not left unseen - forever and ever.

Revelations 22 continues:

Rev 22:16-19 “I am Jesus! And I am the one who sent my angel to tell all of you these things for the churches. I am David's Great Descendant, and I am also the bright morning star. 17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" Everyone who hears this should say, "Come!" If you are thirsty, come! If you want life-giving water, come and take it. It's free! 18 Here is my warning for everyone who hears the prophecies in this book: If you add anything to them, God will make you suffer all the terrible troubles written in this book. 19 If you take anything away from these prophecies, God will not let you have part in the life-giving tree and in the holy city described in this book.” CEV

The people in mentioned in verse Rev 22:15 are those in the lake of fire outside the City. They are conscious, awake, and suffering eternal recompense. To say otherwise invokes the stern warning of verses Rev 22:18-19. How? By adding to Revelations the doctrine of annihilationism to make the book of revelations conform annihilationist point of view indeed takes away from and adds to this book.

Don, In the terms of Chess — this is called Checkmate.
-
-
-
DonCameron
Established Member

Death's Kingdom

Post by DonCameron »

B.W.,

After I quoted what Turgonian said about Jesus' Lazarus and rich man parable, you said...
First of all, I am not asking what Turgonian believes about the Rich man and Lazarus but you directly as you do not believe in everlasting punishment lasting for ever
But I do believe in everlasting punishment lasting forever. It's just that you and I don't believe the same about what that punishment will be.

As far what I believe Jesus meant by his parable, I don't know. Turgonian suggested that it is "a story illustrating status-reversal to come in the afterlife." Although I don't know what he meant, since Jesus placed the rich man in the wrong place (Hades instead of Gehenna), I (like Turgonioan) don't think Jesus was trying to teach us what goes on in hell.

You provided a very interesting translation of Revelation 20:13,14...
13 The sea gave up the dead people who were in it, and death and its kingdom (Hades) also gave up their dead. Then everyone was judged by what they had done. 14 Afterwards, death and its kingdom (Hades) were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
I've never heard of Hades as being referred to as 'death's kingdom.' I don't see anything wrong with it being expressed that way. How would it look if that expression was used in the Lazarus/rich man parable...

Luke 16:23: "The rich man died and was buried. And in death's kingdom he lifted up his eyes..."

Again, I don't see anything wrong with that free translation of Hades. In fact, I like it!

What it shows in the above verses you quoted is that eventually death's kingdom will be emptied of all of its inhabitants. And then that empty kingdom will be cast into the second death. And that's where I feel 2 Thessalonians will be fulfilled where Paul said...

(The wicked) will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction."

Don
P.S. I'll continue tomorrow.
DonCameron
Established Member

New Jerusalem's Space Suits?

Post by DonCameron »

Good morning B.W.,

You said...
According to your view, these people (not found written in the book of life) will be thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire, in your opinion, means eternal death — non-being and non-existence. The individuals tossed into it are no more and all memory of them will cease as this is how you interpret Ecclesiastes 9:5, “For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.” KJV

Is this correct?
Yes, that's the way it looks to me.

You then said...
After the wicked are tossed into this lake of fire — the New Jerusalem will come down from the New Heavens and God will live amongst his people. The Lord will “wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever.” Is this correct?
OK.

You then said...
From the book we can see that God, after the white throne judgment will cast the wicked into the lake of fire, where according to your viewpoint of annihilation ism, these people no-longer existence and all memory of them are erased eternally. Further more we can see that in the New Heavens, New Earth, and the New Jerusalem there will be no more death and sin as the old has past away. Is this correct?
OK.

You then brought up the fact that Revelation speaks of the "dogs, witches, immoral people, murderers, idiol worshiopers and everyone who loves to tell lies and do wrong" who are said to be outside the city of New Jerusalem (that has come down from heaven). - Rev. 22:14,15

You make the reasonable point when you reason...
Question: There is no more death and sin at this point in time in the New Heavens, New Earth, and the New Jerusalem. Who are these people? Where are they? Wasn't sin and death and all the wicked tossed into the lake of fire and no long exist and no memory of them either?

How do I 'get around' your "Check Mate"? Here is how I attempt to do so...

Some Concerns:
1) You asked where these people are. I notice that it doesn't say they are in the lake of fire but only that they are somewhere outside the city.

2) What about this "New Jerusalem"? Is it an actual city that will descend through outer space from heaven and be placed here on Earth on the site of the present-day Jerusalem?

One of the main reasons I don't think so is because of the size of it. Rev. 21:16 says that it is 12,000 furlongs long, wide and high. Did you ever look up just how high 12,000 furlongs is? It is 1,500 miles!

How likely is it that there will be an actual city that will extend 1,500 miles through the upper atmosphere into outer space? (The space station is only 200 or so miles above the Earth.) Will everyone living above 20,000 feet need to carry an oxygen tank 24 hours/day? Will all those above 100,000 feet need to ware space suits? Or is this "New Jerusalem" just one of the "signs" that the author of Revelation included in his book? Rev. 1:1

Since a literal city 1,500 miles long by 1,500 miles wide by 1,500 miles high seems to be an impossibility, then for me it is not necessary to take what is said to go on outside that city literally.

But if what you quoted from Revelation doesn't mean what it sounds like it means, then what does it mean? I don't know. But, for the above reasons, I feel I understand what it doesn't mean. i.e. That it doesn't mean that those in the second death are alive.

In conclusion:
I can understand why someone, like yourself, can read Revelation and reasonably conclude that the wicked will be alive and therefore consciously experience God's everlasting punishment. But the Bible (especially Revelation) is written in such a way that someone (like myself) can read it and conclude that the wicked will be dead and therefore not consciously experience God's everlasting punishment.

Hopefully, whatever misunderstandings there are will all be cleared up when Christi Jesus returns.

Don]