The Da Vinci Code

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The Da Vinci Code

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Well. no doubt, this is going to be a hot topic in the days ahead.

Here's a link to a recent article regarding one claim represented in the Da Vinci Code book regarding the Trinity by Rich Deem on the main board.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/trinity.html

As people read the book or see the movie and have questions, maybe we can discuss some of them here. I am not an expert on the book itself and all the claims made, but I am pretty familiar with Gnosticism which is very present in the Da Vinci Code. Rich Brown was apparently influenced greatly by Elaine Pagels who is a modern day, new age, type scholar who has been pretty influential in resurrecting much of the ancient heresy of Gnosticism and recycling the old claims.

The common tactic is to appeal to authority and claim that Gnostic Literature has equal validity to canonical scripture and that modern orthodoxy is simply the side that won, not necessarily the side that was correct.

Literarily and historically, it makes about as much sense as comparing "The Grapes of Wrath" with a Bazooka Joe comic wrapper and stating that both accurately reflect 20th century America. (OK ... maybe a little hyperbole there, but not too much.)

We should probably shore and up and be prepared for a lot of questions and confusion over the next several weeks as this movie works its way into our culture and people, who are more visual than written word oriented, begin to wrestle with what is being presented.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Discovery Channel

Post by bluesman »

If you have access to the Discovery Channel , they had a show on that
proved everything in this book and movie is untrue.
I missed the show myself, but Jack Van Impe talked about it.
Jack Van Impe talked about this book and what the true story is.

I am debating if I should see this movie or not.
I hate to support it, but if I am to talk against it maybe I need to see it.

Anybody hear of a Tony Bushby who wrote the book Bible Fraud? Another one writing on the same lines as this movie.

I have noticed lately that there is more and more shows on tv that paint an incorrect picture of the bible. Just plain garbage trash if you ask me.

How do we get more of the truth out there?

Michael
Thomas
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

If you have access to the Discovery Channel , they had a show on that
proved everything in this book and movie is untrue.
I missed the show myself, but Jack Van Impe talked about it.
Jack Van Impe talked about this book and what the true story is.
Just about every christian ministry I listen to on the radio or TV are coming out with programs or booklets that refute the claims of The Divinci code. It's a scary book because although it's a work of fiction it is presented as if it is based on legitiment facts. I'm embarrassed to say that after I read it it threw me into some confusion for awhile. It's the half truths that the devil used on Adam and Eve that are the most dangerous.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Bluesman,

You don't have to see the movie or read the book to refute either the one or the other. If you know your Bible and trust in the Lord, He will put the words in your mouth when the time comes to educate those blinded by the lies in The DaVinci Code.

Just remember: don't attack, educate.

FL
bluesman
Established Member

Holy Blood Holy Grail

Post by bluesman »

From my understanding is that the idea in this Dan Brown book came from books such as "Holy Blood Holy Grail". These books do claim that this alternative story of Jesus is fact and that the Gospel Jesus they claim was created by the Church.

I see in the news today that Ron Howard is unhappy with most of the negative reviews coming out. These review seem to basically say that the movie is a little too stiff and sleepy.

Michael
Thomas
Poetic_Soul
Established Member

Post by Poetic_Soul »

The movie was bogus. It all relied on paintings that was established some 1500 years after Christ. Give me a break.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Well,

I am actually looking forward to the movie being watched by my colleagues and friends. I'm anticipating the blessing of being able to present the Gospel to them for they will undoubtably ask me my opinion on what the movie implies.

There is a silver lining in every cloud!

FL
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

This article SO crushes the Da Vinci Code!

http://www.tektonics.org/davincicrude.htm

Whenever people start using the DVC, look skeptical and disbelieve everything they say... :roll:
Really, there's not much truth in there. But many people believe it. Well, just think of the First Wizard's Law (Terry Goodkind): 'People will believe any lie, either because they want it to be true or because they fear it to be.'