Was Christ poor!?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
ryo dokomi
Established Member
Christian: No

Was Christ poor!?

Post by ryo dokomi »

i have heard it said that Christ was poor. at Bethesda Bible College, im taking Theology, and we had a week of class talking about how Christ wasnt poor. why do so many pastors, Theologists, etc. think that He was poor. and was he really. any thoughts?
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
Jay_7
Established Member

Re: Was Christ poor!?

Post by Jay_7 »

I don't think he was, even if he was did they have money back then? :lol:

Heres some sites i found- http://www.myfortress.org/WasJesusRich.html
http://www.harvestchurch.org/Teachings/ ... otPoor.htm
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

I don't think Jesus was a rich man. He didn't have a job or any apparent means of income. Clearly he did not hae a house or a bed.

Luke 9:58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

Further it doesn't seem reasonable that Jesus would be a rich man yet tell the rich young ruler that he should give away everything to the poor and follow him.
Last edited by Jbuza on Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

Jbuza wrote:I don't think Jesus was a rich man. He didn't have a job or any apparent means of income. Clearly he did not hae a house or a bed.

Luke 9:58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
He was a carpentar i heard..
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Jay_7 wrote:
Jbuza wrote:I don't think Jesus was a rich man. He didn't have a job or any apparent means of income. Clearly he did not hae a house or a bed.

He was a carpentar i heard..
I think that could be a myth. Mary's husband his "step-father" was a carpenter. He told Mary and Joseph that he must be about his father's business, and there is no evidence of him ever haveing held a job.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

http://www.letusreason.org/Wf15.htm

This is agood one to and points out that Jesus was born in a stable and buried in another man's tomb, among other things.

This teaching that Jesus was a rich man is heretical, there is a lot of evidence to say that he was poor.
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

Jbuza wrote:2 Corinthians 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

http://www.letusreason.org/Wf15.htm

This is agood one to and points out that Jesus was born in a stable and buried in another man's tomb, among other things.

This teaching that Jesus was a rich man is heretical, there is a lot of evidence to say that he was poor.
Oh ok
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

his means of income was from the tithe and offerings of the people, wasnt it?
that scripture doesnt apply to him not having a house, because he said that to the man while he was traveling. that doesnt mean he didnt own a home, he just didnt have anywhere to stay in the particular town he was in.
Further it doesn't seem reasonable that Jesus would be a rich man yet tell the rich young ruler that he should give away everything to the poor and follow him.
what do you mean, 'it doesnt seem reasonable', Jesus is mysterious, there could have been a reason behind him saying that. stating that it doesnt seem reasonable sounds like your trying to make something up that isnt there.

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

ryo dokomi wrote:i have heard it said that Christ was poor. at Bethesda Bible College, im taking Theology, and we had a week of class talking about how Christ wasnt poor. why do so many pastors, Theologists, etc. think that He was poor. and was he really. any thoughts?
How many Poor Men have you heard of that have a Treasurer?
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I dont mean to sound stupid but does anyone think that Jesus might have miraculously produced food for himself like he did on the island with fish and bread?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

ryo dokomi wrote:
his means of income was from the tithe and offerings of the people, wasnt it?
that scripture doesnt apply to him not having a house, because he said that to the man while he was traveling. that doesnt mean he didnt own a home, he just didnt have anywhere to stay in the particular town he was in.
what do you mean, 'it doesnt seem reasonable', Jesus is mysterious, there could have been a reason behind him saying that. stating that it doesnt seem reasonable sounds like your trying to make something up that isnt there.
I mean that the scriptures I read together with my own reason is what convinces me that Jesus was a poor man.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

bizzt wrote:
ryo dokomi wrote:i have heard it said that Christ was poor. at Bethesda Bible College, im taking Theology, and we had a week of class talking about how Christ wasnt poor. why do so many pastors, Theologists, etc. think that He was poor. and was he really. any thoughts?
I don't think Jesus himself had a treasurer, if this is the sum total of the evidence it is laughingly weak compared to the scriptural evidence to indicate that he didn't have anything. Christ is the example for the church, and his group provided for the needs just the same as the church that I attend.
Last edited by Jbuza on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

SUGAAAAA wrote:I dont mean to sound stupid but does anyone think that Jesus might have miraculously produced food for himself like he did on the island with fish and bread?
I think that may be entirely possible, I also believe that there is evidence that he stayed with several different people. I think that it is entirely possible that many, many people sai to him "Master, come and eat with us". Certinaly there is teaching in Corinthians that say those who preach the gospel should be taken care of by it.

This is silly, Jesus teaches so many things that are simply contrary to what a rich man would teach or could by any remote living of it.

It certianly wouldn't be impossible that Jesus and a group made partly of fishermen couldn't provide for themselves.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Jbuza wrote:
bizzt wrote:
I don't think Jesus himself had a treasurer, if this is the sum total of the evidence it is laughingly weak compared to the scriptural evidence to indicate that he didn't have anything. Christ is the example for the church, and his group provided for the needs just the same as the church that I attend.
The question is was Jesus Poor. I don't think he was because they/he had a Treasurer. No matter how you look at it Jesus and his followers/Disciples had a Treasurer

Joh 12:6 Now this he said, not because he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and having the bag took away what was put therein.

Not a Very good one but a Treasurer none the less.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

also, the treasuerer was taking from it, every chance he got. and still Jesus had money to work with, doesnt that say that he had a lot of money? i mean, he was losing a lot, but still had much to go around.