predestination

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
ryo dokomi
Established Member
Christian: No

predestination

Post by ryo dokomi »

i realize that this is a widely controversial subject, but i need answers. i dont believe in predestination, however i have read in Romans were it says that we are predestined...i dont understand it. im really confused, and my pastor isnt helping me much. the question is, is it truth or not?
Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Could you post the Exact Scripture that you are refering to please...

Thanks
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

sorry, just found them..here
Romans 8:29-30/Ephesians 1:5/Ephesians 1:11

it is all about submitting before God, then, and only then, will we have the promise given in Luke 10:19
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

I am going to copy a Few things and maybe it might allow us to think a little more about these verses together
Rom 8:29 For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren:
Rom 8:30 and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
This is what Barnes Has to say about these Verses
Rom 8:29 -
For whom he did foreknow - The word used here προέγνω proegnō has been the subject of almost endless disputes in regard to its meaning in this place. The literal meaning of the word cannot be a matter of dispute. It denotes properly to “know beforehand;” to be acquainted with future events. But whether it means here simply to know that certain persons would become Christians; or to ordain, and constitute them to be Christians, and to be saved, has been a subject of almost endless discussion. Without entering at large into an investigation of the word, perhaps the following remarks may throw light on it.
(1) it does not here have reference to all the human family; for all are not, and have not, been conformed to the image of his Son. It has reference therefore only to those who would become Christians, and be saved.
(2) it implies “certain knowledge.” It was certainly foreseen, in some way, that they would believe, and be saved. There is nothing, therefore, in regard to them that is contingent, or subject to doubt in the divine Mind, since it was certainly foreknown.
(3) the event which was thus foreknown must have been, for some cause, certain and fixed; since an uncertain event could not be possibly foreknown. To talk of a foreknowing a contingent event, that is, of foreknowing an event as certain which may or may not exist, is an absurdity.
(4) in what way such an event became certain is not determined by the use of this word. But it must have been somehow in connection with a divine appointment or arrangement, since in no other way can it be conceived to be certain. While the word used here, therefore, does not of necessity mean to decree, yet its use supposes that there was a purpose or plan; and the phrase is an explanation of what the apostle had just said, that it was “according to the purpose of God” that they were called. This passage does not affirm why, or how, or, “on what grounds” God foreknew that some of the human family would be saved. It simply affirms the fact; and the mode in which those who will believe were designated, must be determined from other sources. This passage simply teaches that he knew them; that his eye was fixed on them; that he regarded them as to be conformed to his Son; and that, thus knowing them, he designated them to eternal life. The Syriac renders it in accordance with this interpretation: “And from the beginning he knew them, and sealed them with the image of his Son,” etc. As, however, none would believe but by the influences of his Spirit, it follows that they were not foreknown on account of any faith which they would themselves exercise, or any goodworks which they would themselves perform, but according to the purpose or plan of God himself.
He also did predestinate - See the meaning of the original of this word explained in the notes at Rom_1:4; see also the Act_4:28 note; and 1Co_2:7 note. In these places the word evidently means to determine, purpose, or decree beforehand; and it must have this meaning here. No other idea could be consistent with the proper meaning of the word, or be intelligible. It is clear also that it does not refer to external privileges, but to real conversion and piety; since that to which they were predestinated was not the external privilege of the gospel, but conformity to his Son, and salvation; see Rom_8:30. No passage could possibly teach in stronger language that it was God's purpose to save those who will be saved. Eph_1:5, “having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ unto himself.” Eph_1:11, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will.”
To be conformed to the image of his Son - To resemble his Son; to be of like form with the image of his Son. We may learn here,
(1) That God does not determine to save people, whatever their character may be. The decree is not to save them in their sins, or whether they be sinful or holy. But it has primary respect to their char acter. It is that they “should be” holy; and, as a consequence of this, that they should be saved.
(2) the only evidence which we can have that we are the subjects of his gracious purpose is, that we are “in fact” conformed to the Lord Jesus Christ. For this was the design of the decree. This is the only satisfactory proof of piety; and by this alone can we determine that we are interested in his gracious plan of saving people.
That he might be the first-born - The first-born among the Hebrews had many special privileges. The idea here is,
(1) That Christ might be pre-eminent as the model and exemplar; that he might be clothed with special honors, and be so regarded in his church; and yet,
(2) That he might still sustain a fraternal relation to them; that he might be one in the same great family of God where all are sons; compare Heb_2:12-14.
Many brethren - Not a few. The purpose of God is that many of the human family shall be saved.
Rom 8:30 -
Moreover ... - In this verse, in order to show to Christians the true consolation to be derived from the fact that they are predestinated, the apostle states the connection between that predestination and their certain salvation. The one implied the other.
Whom he did predestinate - All whom he did predestinate.
Them he also called - Called by his Spirit to become Christians. He called, not merely by an external invitation, but in such a way as that they in fact were justified. This cannot refer simply to an external call of the gospel, since those who are here said to be called are said also to be justified and glorified. The meaning is, that there is a certain connection between the predestination and the call, which will be manifested in due time. The connection is so certain that the one infallibly secures the other.
He justified - See the note at Rom_3:24. Not that he justified them from eternity, for this was not true; and if it were, it would also follow that he glorified them from eternity, which would be an absurdity. It means that there is a regular sequence of events - the predestination precedes and secures the calling; and the calling precedes and secures the justification. The one is connected in the purpose of God with the other; and the one, in fact, does not take place without the other. The purpose was in eternity. The calling and justifying in time.
Them he also glorified - This refers probably to heaven. It means that there is a connection between justification and glory. The one does not exist without the other in its own proper time; as the calling does not subsist without the act of justification. This proves, therefore, the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints. There is a connection infallible and ever existing between the predestination and the final salvation. They who are subjects of the one are partakers of the other. That this is the sense is clear,
(1) Because it is the natural and obvious meaning of the passage.
(2) because this only would meet the design of the argument of the apostle. For how would it be a source of consolation to say to them that whom God foreknew he predestinated, and whom he predestinated he called, and whom he called he justified, and whom he justified “might fall away and be lost forever?”

Does that Help a bit?
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

thank you. that helps a lot. :)

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I didn't read all of bizz's references, but the long and short on predestination (from a non-Calvinist's perspective) is Christians are predestined to certain blessings, rather than certain people being predestined to become Christians. You could phrase it another way by saying the elect are predestined for certain blessings; individuals are not predestined to be the elect.

Thus, we see that the elect are predestined to conformation into the image of Christ (Romans 8:29-30), to adoption into God's family (Eph. 1:5), and to an inheritance (Eph. 1:11).

Not so difficult, I don't think . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

If people are predestined, what is the point of "spreading the word"?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

DELETED
Last edited by Believer on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Mystical wrote:If people are predestined, what is the point of "spreading the word"?
Please see this thread on Forum for more info on this subject of predestination:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... php?t=1558

This may help undersatnd topic better...
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Mystical wrote:If people are predestined, what is the point of "spreading the word"?
There is no point, predestination means God will choose whomever He wants and zaps them to become saved over time, as for the rest of humanity, they go to hell for eternity! So there is no point to spread the word and John 3:16 is completely useless.
John 3:16 wrote:16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Very false, whoever choses to believe has no choice, it is God's choice. Either you are damned to hell or you aren't. Isn't God fun?

B.W., can you summarize the posts on the link you posted above in an easy to understand format, even if it requires simple analogies? There seems to be many conflicting viewpoints.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Believer wrote: B.W., can you summarize the posts on the link you posted above in an easy to understand format, even if it requires simple analogies? There seems to be many conflicting viewpoints.
That would be hard to do and would take some time to complete. IMHO - it is best to read all of the thread to be fair.

Maybe - Soaring Eagle can state his points in brief - then PL - then my own in brief. I'll see what I have time for in order to write a proper review. Right now - I have much to do at work and at play :wink:
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

B. W. wrote:
Believer wrote: B.W., can you summarize the posts on the link you posted above in an easy to understand format, even if it requires simple analogies? There seems to be many conflicting viewpoints.
That would be hard to do and would take some time to complete. IMHO - it is best to read all of the thread to be fair.

Maybe - Soaring Eagle can state his points in brief - then PL - then my own in brief. I'll see what I have time for in order to write a proper review. Right now - I have much to do at work and at play :wink:
God sends all to hell anyways that isn't deemed the right one.
Lady Bee
Acquainted Member

Post by Lady Bee »

I don't know much about this, but I would say that without predestination the term "elect" is totally out of place. It has no meaning unless God actually elects people. i.e. -chooses- certain people to be saved.

Or does it? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way..

Romans 9:18 says:
"Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden."
I though that everything depends on God's mercy. We can't even have faith on our own if God doesn't want us to.
There is no point, predestination means God will choose whomever He wants and zaps them to become saved over time, as for the rest of humanity, they go to hell for eternity! So there is no point to spread the word and John 3:16 is completely useless.
But isn't this the method God has chosen for salvation? He wants it to be done this way. It's only through the word that He is revealed, and then he does his stuff. And -we- don't know who the elect are. He's got this big plan and it will be carried out in the way that God designed it to.

Although.. I've heard people say that those who haven't heard will be saved anyway.

..In which case I am confused. :?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Lady Bee wrote:Romans 9:18 says:
"Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden."
I though that everything depends on God's mercy. We can't even have faith on our own if God doesn't want us to.
And Scripture is also clear that God's will is that everyone be saved:

2 Peter 3:9: "God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance."

1 Timothy 2:4: "God, our Savior, desires all persons to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Very briefly--most of you seem to be mixing the terms election with predestination. If election means that God elects (chooses) some to salvation, and predestination means that God predestines (chooses) some to salvation, then can you see that both of these are exactly the same?

Predestination is nothing more than God's decree that certain things will happen to the elect. They elect are predestined to salvation, to adoption, and to an inheritance. It is that simple.

The question now becomes this: does God elect individuals to salvation, and by extention "elect" some to damnation, or does this doctrine mean something else entirely?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.