And the Word became flesh

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

And the Word became flesh

Post by Christian2 »

This is what the Bible says:

John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

''And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory. the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth'' (John 1 :14).

I had a question from a friend that I cannot answer. This is what he said:
The word of God simply means a command from God. If Jesus is a word of God then all people, like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and all prophets are all the Words of God. In that case you and me and all people in the billions are the Words of God. Words do not incarnate.
So, how is Jesus any different than the rest of the prophets in the sense of being the Word of God?

Thanks.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

I don't understand the question. The Word was made flesh and the result was Jesus - so in other words, Jesus is God. The power of the Word made the rest of us - we are a result of the Word, not the Word itself. So we're God's handywork, not God Himself. Am I missing something here?

P.S. Our words do not incarnate, but God's do!
ttoews
Established Member

Re: And the Word became flesh

Post by ttoews »

Christian2 wrote: So, how is Jesus any different than the rest of the prophets in the sense of being the Word of God?

Thanks.
a few things to start with:

a) read Hebrews and observe the contrast made by the author between Christ and the rest
b) note how prophets say "This is what God told me to tell you" whereas in the gospels Jesus merely says "Truly I say to you"
c) Jesus is given titles such as King of Kings whereas a prophet's title is merely "prophet"
d) OT passages referring to Jehovah are applied to Jesus in the NT
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Felgar, no you are not missing something

Post by Christian2 »

Hi Felgar,

I just needed some input in order to get my thoughts straightened out.

Thanks.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

ttoews, thank you

Post by Christian2 »

Hi ttoews,
b) note how prophets say "This is what God told me to tell you" whereas in the gospels Jesus merely says "Truly I say to you"

Yes, there are many verses where Jesus spoke on His own authority whereas other prophets did not.
d) OT passages referring to Jehovah are applied to Jesus in the NT
Yes, like these:

Jesus claimed the very things about Himself that are claimed for God in the Old Testament.

1. Jesus says He is the shepherd, but the OT says that God is the shepherd:

Jesus: John 10:11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

OT/God: Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2. Jesus claimed to be judge of all men and nations:

Jesus: 26For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, 27and has given him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.

Matthew 25:31-33, "When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.

OT/God: Joel 3:11 Come quickly, all you nations from every side, and assemble there. Bring down your warriors, O LORD ! 12 "Let the nations be roused; let them advance into the Valley of Jehoshaphat, for there I will sit to judge all the nations on every side.

3. Jesus claims to be the light of the world but the OT says that God is the everlasting light:

Jesus: John 8:12Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

OT/God: Isaiah 60:19 "The sun shall no longer be your light by day, Nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you; But the LORD will be to you an everlasting light, And your God your glory.

4. Jesus claims to share God's eternal glory, but God in the OT says He will not give His glory to another:

Jesus: Jesus claimed to share in God's eternal glory, " John 17:5)5And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

OT/God: Isaiah 42:8I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images.

5. Jesus spoke of Himself as the coming bridegroom, but this is how God depicts Himself in the OT:

Jesus: Matthew 25:1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

OT/God: Isaiah 62:5For as a young man marries a virgin, So shall your sons marry you; And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, So shall your God rejoice over you.

Hosea 2:16"And it shall be, in that day," Says the LORD, "That you will call Me "My Husband, And no longer call Me "My Master

Thank you for your help.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

My viewpoint is not original and it runs along these lines:

John used the greek 'Logos' for 'Word'. Its the root for 'logy' in the words cosmology, biology etc. So, in the beginning, the complete wisdom of the universe was with God.

This complete wisdom of the universe was given a human manifestation with the incarnation of Jesus. Thats why He says He IS the Way, the Truth and the Life - Not just the source of knowledge, but knowledge itself.

I conclude that, to know wisdom, I have to know Jesus.
Maranatha!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Christian,

You're answer can be found in Revelation 19:11-21 .
Specifically take a look at verse 13.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Lets look at the original Greek better.
"En Archai ain o logos, kai o logos ain pros ton theon."

God is the word in so many ways it is hard to define one way! If we just take the word logos alone, the nominitive form of the greek word for "word" (log), we find that this is different from the form used elsewhere.
Note before God WAS the word, (the word was implying a continuous state of being) God was "with" the word. This translation is a bit murky though, since "pros ton theon" suggests more "face to face" used many times in John's Gospel within family situations.

Following up on this therefore, there was the word of God, the law, and God was face to face with the covenant. The through Jesus Christ His only begotten Son, God was the word incarnate.