My Biblical Understanding

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

My Biblical Understanding

Post by Believer »

Okay, so I am back into the Bible, finally I feel comfortable reading it, kind of. Last night, 9/19/05, I reread a little bit of Genesis again starting by saying "I am not going to question God", and then after I was done reading, I started questioning. I talked to my mom and she says God put it in a way humans could understand and even so it still is hard to understand. She told me of the guy in the New Testament that studied scripture and tried to understand it and something about Jesus meeting up with Him when in heaven, and Jesus says "depart from me, I know you not", all because he spent to much time trying to understand scripture and not having faith. I feel the same is with me. I think this is why I am turned off from the Bible, I can't understand it, and I think I am taking it too far with a literal explanation in Genesis. You know, maybe Genesis is true and not symbolic, we just don't understand it completely because we don't have the capability to. So I will probably post my dilemma later.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Re: My Biblical Understanding

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Thinker wrote:Okay, so I am back into the Bible, finally I feel comfortable reading it, kind of. Last night, 9/19/05, I reread a little bit of Genesis again starting by saying "I am not going to question God", and then after I was done reading, I started questioning. I talked to my mom and she says God put it in a way humans could understand and even so it still is hard to understand. She told me of the guy in the New Testament that studied scripture and tried to understand it and something about Jesus meeting up with Him when in heaven, and Jesus says "depart from me, I know you not", all because he spent to much time trying to understand scripture and not having faith. I feel the same is with me. I think this is why I am turned off from the Bible, I can't understand it, and I think I am taking it too far with a literal explanation in Genesis. You know, maybe Genesis is true and not symbolic, we just don't understand it completely because we don't have the capability to. So I will probably post my dilemma later.
The bible is not some sort of tome which you are supposed to interpret. It is a message from God that he loves you and wants you to live a certain way. Try living the right way. And then, when you are having trouble, you can look to the bible, "God's words" for help and inspiration.

Look at the big picture, not the individual words.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Thinker wrote:Okay, so I am back into the Bible, finally I feel comfortable reading it, kind of. Last night, 9/19/05, I reread a little bit of Genesis again starting by saying "I am not going to question God", and then after I was done reading, I started questioning. I talked to my mom and she says God put it in a way humans could understand and even so it still is hard to understand. She told me of the guy in the New Testament that studied scripture and tried to understand it and something about Jesus meeting up with Him when in heaven, and Jesus says "depart from me, I know you not", all because he spent to much time trying to understand scripture and not having faith. I feel the same is with me. I think this is why I am turned off from the Bible, I can't understand it, and I think I am taking it too far with a literal explanation in Genesis. You know, maybe Genesis is true and not symbolic, we just don't understand it completely because we don't have the capability to. So I will probably post my dilemma later.
The bible is not some sort of tome which you are supposed to interpret. It is a message from God that he loves you and wants you to live a certain way. Try living the right way. And then, when you are having trouble, you can look to the bible, "God's words" for help and inspiration.

Look at the big picture, not the individual words.
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:And then, when you are having trouble, you can look to the bible, "God's words" for help and inspiration.
I don't want your atheist advice, it's people like you that support the ACLU to DESTROY America, to destroy all that is good and revise it as "one nation under atheism". Clearly the bolded text in the quote above proves to me that the Bible isn't God's words to you, and you think it is fun to give me advice to follow something false. Yet you claim to be spiritual. I'm sorry, you can't be spiritual if no God exists, but maybe for you because you are a nature worshipper and not a DIVINE GOD worshipper. Then you start a thread, a window into my beliefs, who cares, you obviously want us to figure your beliefs out instead of being up front and tell us. I don't follow false religions and I spent a long time trying to find out if what I follow is true or not, I am not going to be pulled into your atheist organization.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Thinker wrote: I don't want your atheist advice, it's people like you that support the ACLU to DESTROY America, to destroy all that is good and revise it as "one nation under atheism". Clearly the bolded text in the quote above proves to me that the Bible isn't God's words to you, and you think it is fun to give me advice to follow something false. Yet you claim to be spiritual. I'm sorry, you can't be spiritual if no God exists, but maybe for you because you are a nature worshipper and not a DIVINE GOD worshipper. Then you start a thread, a window into my beliefs, who cares, you obviously want us to figure your beliefs out instead of being up front and tell us. I don't follow false religions and I spent a long time trying to find out if what I follow is true or not, I am not going to be pulled into your atheist organization.
*sigh*
It is attitudes such as this, that is the reason all CHRISTIANS are called hypocrites! It is attitudes such as this that makes me shudder and feel ashamed. Are you filled with so much hate you can't see what someone is saying! If you took the time to actually talk to this person you might have been pleasantly surprised! People such as Bgood are NOT the enemy. From what I have seen she is far more Christian in her manor than some so called Christians! (er bgood forgive me if your not female)
Romans 2:14-16
The Romans called the disciples Christians in Antioch, (acts 11:26)
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:And then, when you are having trouble, you can look to the bible, "God's words" for help and inspiration.
I have problems because he/she has problems such as bolded above. He/she already by quotes proves this isn't God's word, so why should I listen to atheist advice for what he/she is doing is trying to be "nice" when all he/she is doing is making me feel like I follow false undivine inspired words?
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Thinker wrote:
I have problems because he/she has problems such as bolded above. He/she already by quotes proves this isn't God's word, so why should I listen to atheist advice for what he/she is doing is trying to be "nice" when all he/she is doing is making me feel like I follow false undivine inspired words?
None have ever proved the bible is NOT the word of God.
What needs to be understood is because it was written by men who were inspired by the holyspirit, it is the word of God, because the LORD gods word is written on our hearts.

He/she is not going out of his/her way to be nice!
Not everyone has a alterior motive!
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Christians do not have the monopoly on compassion, concern for others, kindness, helpfulness or any other virtue. I have many non-Christian friends who are the most caring and unselfish of people. Sometimes they put me to shame with their willingness and caring.

Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, and have to account accordingly to their Maker. As Christians we believe we have the fullest revelation of God and His plan for humankind, and we are to share that revelation we have been given so that all may have a chance to know the truth as we know it and enjoy a restored relationship with God.

However, we need to be mindful of what it is we are witnessing about and what message non-Christians are getting when they are confronted with unfriendliness and rejection. It is important to separate the person from their set of beliefs to some extent, befriend the person and work with them towards understanding and realizing the truth about God as revealed by Jesus. While I understand your frustration a little, Brian, I do not think you do much good with this kind of reaction.

While I do not share BGood's perspective on all spiritual matters, I can still welcome him/her as a fellow human being who is also loved immensely by our Father in Heaven.
Brian, I can also feel a little frustrated at times when I am given advice on my faith by someone of a different faith. It can seem very arrogant and presumptuous of them at times, because it looks like they are putting themselves over and above our revelation of truth which is Christ.
However, I would like to suggest there is another reason for it seeming arrogant and presumptuous. I also know that my own pride plays a large part in that kind of reaction... and maybe with a little humility I may see there is something from this that God is teaching me.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test everything. Hold on to the good.

Just a thought.
PHIL121
Recognized Member

Post by PHIL121 »

[quote="BGoodForGoodSake
The bible is not some sort of tome which you are supposed to interpret. It is a message from God that he loves you and wants you to live a certain way. [/quote]

And HOW EXACTLY, is one supposed to learn the message of God, if one doesn't study and interpret what the Bible says??? :roll:
"To live is Christ, to die is gain"..Philipians 1:21
My Blog
My walk with God
The Church, The State,and The Internet
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Deborah wrote:that is the reason all CHRISTIANS are called hypocrites! It is attitudes such as this that makes me shudder and feel ashamed. Are you filled with so much hate you can't see what someone is saying! If you took the time to actually talk to this person you might have been pleasantly surprised! People such as Bgood are NOT the enemy. From what I have seen she is far more Christian in her manor than some so called Christians!
Christians should not be shocked that the world calls us hypocrites. Jesus said we would be persocuted for his sake. I get so aggravated by this holier than though attitude, where is it written that people who turn to Christ are enlightened and models of what is good and right. Wasn't it the pharisees and publicans that "were more Christian" (whatever that could possibly mean)and whom Jesus taught against? Thinker, I realize that you have an angry button just like the satan worshippers, Islamists, and just like those who beleive their good works and visual service will save them, and just like me. Paul the apostle one of the greatest evangelicals I know of said of himself that he is the chief of sinners. Perhaps people have unrealistic expectations of what it is like to be a Christian. We are still people, that will dissappoint, fail, and SIN. Everyone should understand people,we all are one, Jesus doesn't turn us into robots if we accept him, he still allows us to find our way to reliance upon him. Jesus commanded the disciples "follow me" he didn't shackle them to him and dictate their behavior. Peter, the great rock, failed denying Christ because he is people just like we are.