Francis Schaeffer and Pea Soup

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

bizzt wrote:All in good fun KMart but hey like MM said you did mention Pea Soup :lol:
Let's go off-topic again. :) Does everyone know the story of a wartime commander named "Pea-soup Odlum"? That's who I think about everytime someone mentions Pea-soup. :)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

talking about the Canadian 11th Brigade right?
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

bizzt wrote:talking about the Canadian 11th Brigade right?
You betcha bizzt. Unless you just googled that, I tip my hat to you. :)
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Felgar wrote:
bizzt wrote:talking about the Canadian 11th Brigade right?
You betcha bizzt. Unless you just googled that, I tip my hat to you. :)
I remembered something about that from 8 years ago but had to refresh my memory why he was called that. However it was an interesting story none the less :) ... How awful Canadians without their Rum :wink:
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

For everyone else, In World War I, General Odlum, commander of the 11th Brigade ordered that his men not be given the traditional ration of rum. He replaced the rum ration with pea-soup; gaining the "pea soup" nickname for him and his men. From a war diary:

http://www.donlowconcrete.com/102/warpages/102chap4.htm
Throughout the coming tour of duty our men found the Germans even more active and aggressive than on previous occasions. Though there was no "going over the top" the tour was a heavy one. The battalion was beginning to feel exhausted before going in and the long stretch of hard work under particularly galling conditions tried the men severely. More over a paralyzing blow had been sustained during the brief spell spent out of the front line; orders had been received from Brigade that for the future the rum issue for all units of the 11th Brigade would be discontinued. What gratuitous hardship this deprivation under conditions obtaining on the Somme entailed on the men no pen can describe; in wet and cold and mud rum is no longer "The Demon Rum; it is "The Life Saver," the one thing which restores the frozen circulation and combats the deadening chill. But the decree went, forth and for four months spent in the raw and bitter Somme area and later on the wild and freezing slopes of Vimy Ridge the 11th Brigade struggled to its duties unsustained by the one drop of comfort which is laid, down in K. R. & O. as a permissible issue. To add insult to injury hot soup was substituted which always came up the line over salt, increasing the thirst which even before was a recognized torture of a front line where water had to be hauled up on men's backs, and earning for the 11th Brigade the unenviable cognomen of "The Pea-Soup Brigade." May the Moral Reformer and the Teetotal Crank gain comfort to their souls by the reflection that for four months some 4,000 men had their hardships increased by the cruel enforcement of their bigoted doctrines. And these men were all volunteers.
There ya go. Now you know all about Pea-Soup Odlum. :D
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I swear, you guys act like sugarded up ADD kids who have red Kool-Aid injected intraveinously twice an hour...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I swear, you guys act like sugarded up ADD kids who have red Kool-Aid injected intraveinously twice an hour...
Kool-Aid is ok, but really for the price of Coca-Cola I think coke is a much better choice.

So then, in KM's thread about a particular book we've managed to talk about beverages, world war I and the Canadian 11th Brigade, banks and their service charges, and fish riding bicycles. We're on a roll I'd say. :D
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Don't forget pea soup.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Why....why? It's not that hard! :roll:
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
bizzt

Re: Francis Schaeffer and Pea Soup

Post by bizzt »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Has anyone read "The God Who is There" by Francis Schaeffer? He continually explains that humanistic philosophers cannot find a universal, which is keeping their philosophies from being actual philosophies, and not anti-philosophies. And, also, why can't humanistic philosophies logically lay the first stone to their reasoning?

It's hard at the moment, I'm making as much progress as a slab of concrete rolling uphill.
So getting back on Topic for the Sanity of KM. I would have to say no I have not read the book about Pea Soup :? . It sounds like a Book I would not want to read because based upon your description it is counter productive and the slab of Concrete is it Round??
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

LOL, that was funny bizzt, how you referenced the topic while remaining off-topic. :)
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

:lol: I try to be sly every so often :wink: Hopefully KM does not notice :lol:
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I have read a number of Francis Schaeffer's books, including his trilogy - but that was several years ago.
I will agree with you that it can be a little heavy in places, and now I would certainly have to re-read it to give a properly coherent and intelligible answer to any question on it (assuming I could).
From memory, Schaeffer claims the validity of absolutes over relativism and that true absolutes originate only from God - His truth as Creator - and any system of thought that does not acknowledge these same absolutes (such as humanistic philosophies based on human ideals rather than God's truth) leads to "below the line of despair". The only valid universal would be need to be an absolute, and so humanistic philosophies don't make it.
I am no expert. I'm afraid all I can offer is just the encouragement to plod on.

But about that pea soup (and to stay on topic)... does it taste any good?