Embraced by the light - Betty J Eadie

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Embraced by the light - Betty J Eadie

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
She did say in the book that it was "revealed" to her that Christ was created.
That is consistent with the false christ of Mormonism.

Any guesses who revealed that to her?
Oooooo! I like quizzes...

Was it Satan?

Does that mean we should dismiss everything else she wrote though?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Philip wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Exactly!

And so we must measure our experience-oriented perceptions and the feelings they bring through the lens of Scripture. We so love to hear things that make us feel good, or that match up with our desires. So you have a lot of people out there seeking the truth via experience and feelings - a terrible and often-dangerous way of pursuing it.
Agreed but i still think that God can use these things to reach people. A lot of writing that is considered false gospel (like the gospel of Thomas) or books like Love Wins by Rob Bell, even books of fiction have brought me closer to God.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

abelcainsbrother wrote:From my research NDE's are evidence for an afterlife but do not necessarily prove which God is the true God nor do they always line up with scripture,or what the person explains can be wrong or their own beliefs can be wrong.It is important to differentiate between what they describe about their NDE and their own personal beliefs.It can be determined which is the true God by religious debate though.NDE's are important because they are evidence for life after death but they must also be understood to be used properly for evidence.
Absolutely.
NDE's fascinate me.
A lot can be explained purely by chemical reactions in the dying brain, or hallucinations, but there are enough that can't, and that are taken seriously by scientists that to me prove there has to be something beyond death.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Story: Agreed but i still think that God can use these things to reach people. A lot of writing that is considered false gospel (like the gospel of Thomas) or books like Love Wins by Rob Bell, even books of fiction have brought me closer to God.
Yes, God can and does use many different things and sources to teach us. But as a Christian, if I know someone's personal history, statements, book or literature has denied or contradicted some important component about Jesus or has distorted Scripture's teachings about the Way to salvation, or whatever other important doctrinal thing that could lead to people being deceived, then A) I know that person has, in some key way, been themself so deceived, and thus B), as a result I'll typically not trust their assertions concerning various things. So, if one is a truth seeker, they should be exceptionally wary of people who have produced or uttered questionable, problematic, heretical, or Scripturally contradicting statements or materials. Rob Bell is a classic, in he's teaching some kind of universalism, and that Christ is not the exclusive way to God and Heaven. Again, why seek answers on important truths from someone we know has denied certain Scriptural truths or has themself been deceived?

Here's a good example - and good look as to the distortions and false assertions Rob Bell made in his book, "Love Wins":

https://carm.org/love-wins-by-rob-bell

If Rob is correct, then A) Scripture is wrong, and B) we can stop all evangelism efforts to obey God's Great Commission right now!
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Philip wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Exactly!

And so we must measure our experience-oriented perceptions and the feelings they bring through the lens of Scripture. We so love to hear things that make us feel good, or that match up with our desires. So you have a lot of people out there seeking the truth via experience and feelings - a terrible and often-dangerous way of pursuing it.
I got a book of Mormon from an old trailer that was demolished in the neighborhood for money and to make the scrap-pile bigger-I read some of it and I could see it was fake.
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

Kind of reeks of "Love and Light" new age philosophies, similar to Journey Of Souls, where Earth is a school and we're all here to learn.

Completely different from what the bible teaches, which is to fear God, man lives once and after death is judgement, and that Christianity is the only true path.

If 1/3 of the Angels are fallen I think they are putting up a false front when people get near-death. I know they are perfectly capable of giving people New Age visions.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Philip wrote:
Story: Agreed but i still think that God can use these things to reach people. A lot of writing that is considered false gospel (like the gospel of Thomas) or books like Love Wins by Rob Bell, even books of fiction have brought me closer to God.
Yes, God can and does use many different things and sources to teach us. But as a Christian, if I know someone's personal history, statements, book or literature has denied or contradicted some important component about Jesus or has distorted Scripture's teachings about the Way to salvation, or whatever other important doctrinal thing that could lead to people being deceived, then A) I know that person has, in some key way, been themself so deceived, and thus B), as a result I'll typically not trust their assertions concerning various things. So, if one is a truth seeker, they should be exceptionally wary of people who have produced or uttered questionable, problematic, heretical, or Scripturally contradicting statements or materials. Rob Bell is a classic, in he's teaching some kind of universalism, and that Christ is not the exclusive way to God and Heaven. Again, why seek answers on important truths from someone we know has denied certain Scriptural truths or has themself been deceived?

Here's a good example - and good look as to the distortions and false assertions Rob Bell made in his book, "Love Wins":

https://carm.org/love-wins-by-rob-bell

If Rob is correct, then A) Scripture is wrong, and B) we can stop all evangelism efforts to obey God's Great Commission right now!
For me,it isn't really about seeking answers from someone else, it's more I like exploring differing points of view. I think it helps sharpen my own beliefs and faith. I do read anything like this very carefully and i'm mindful of the fact that everything should be tested. I like questioning stuff, finding out what people believe, seeing how it sits with what I think.
When I read things like this, I do so carefully and prayerfully. I often feel closer to God when reading than any other time. I think He uses books to reach me, to guide me.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

claysmithr wrote:Kind of reeks of "Love and Light" new age philosophies, similar to Journey Of Souls, where Earth is a school and we're all here to learn.

Completely different from what the bible teaches, which is to fear God, man lives once and after death is judgement, and that Christianity is the only true path.

If 1/3 of the Angels are fallen I think they are putting up a false front when people get near-death. I know they are perfectly capable of giving people New Age visions.
There was definitely a New Age flavour to it but I dont think it deserves to be completely dismissed because of that.
She did state that the only way to God is through Christ, so she got that bit right at least.
Further research shows there are two more books, I am now curious as to what theyre like.

I read so many different books about faith, belief, God, and peoples experiences and perceptions, all of which I think help strengthen my own bond with God.

I have recently been reading a fair bit of A.W. Tozer and Kempis (Imitation of Christ) along with C.S. Lewis. I like the contrast sometimes of reading something with a slightly different point of view.

A lot of the books I read I discover by chance, something will lead me to reading it. I firmly believe it is God leading me. There have been a few books that I have discovered, read a few pages and known with absolute certainity that I have no desire to read any further (Secrets of the Light by Dannion Brinkley being one) but each one helps me on my walk with God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

storyteller wrote:
She did state that the only way to God is through Christ, so she got that bit right at least.
I can't stress this enough...

The Mormon Christ is a false Christ. The Mormon Christ is not God. The Mormon Christ has no power to save anyone.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Story: I have recently been reading a fair bit of A.W. Tozer and Kempis (Imitation of Christ) along with C.S. Lewis. I like the contrast sometimes of reading something with a slightly different point of view.
Tozer is excellent. Lewis, very insightful.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
storyteller wrote:

The Mormon Christ is a false Christ. The Mormon Christ is not God. The Mormon Christ has no power to save anyone.
I dont believe in the Mormom Christ, I believe in the Christian Christ. The fact it was "revealed" to her that Christ was created and a seperate being to God was a big red flag for me but it doesnt detract from the fact that it was still interesting reading.

I am firm in my beliefs, if not my knowledge :happyclap:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Philip wrote:
Story: I have recently been reading a fair bit of A.W. Tozer and Kempis (Imitation of Christ) along with C.S. Lewis. I like the contrast sometimes of reading something with a slightly different point of view.
Tozer is excellent. Lewis, very insightful.
Love them both. Tozer writes so frankly, he reminds me of B.W. Lewis I liked because of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (which I never realised was so heavily influenced by his faith when I read it as a child, its still one of my favourite books)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
storyteller wrote:

I dont believe in the Mormom Christ, I believe in the Christian Christ. The fact it was "revealed" to her that Christ was created and a seperate being to God was a big red flag for me but it doesnt detract from the fact that it was still interesting reading.

I am firm in my beliefs, if not my knowledge :happyclap:

Think of it this way...

If I ask you to make me a sammich, a "Christian" sammich would have at least, meat and cheese in between two slices of bread. Delicious AND nourishing.

The Mormon "sammich" would be dog crap between two slices of more dog crap.

Make sense now?

:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

:knight:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Story: Lewis I liked because of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (which I never realised was so heavily influenced by his faith when I read it as a child, its still one of my favourite books)
Funny thing about Lewis - he has this unbelievable penetration into deep issues and reasons behind what is believed or said, in addition to his marvelous creativity in his stories. But have you ever heard the guy talk on his war-era radio chats - if one could actually LISTEN to paint drying, I'm pretty sure it's much like that - here's an audio uploaded by a Muslim group of C.S. Lewis speaking about free will: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH2DEOxvaWk