The Walking Dead

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The Walking Dead

Post by Hortator »

This is a catch-all for The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, and other related media (video games and comics as well)

We have a big community of dead-heads on here, and Fear The Walking Dead is on right now, so I felt this thread appropriate. What do you guys want to talk about?

:waiting: :programmer: :cowboy: y(~~)
IceMobster
Christian: No

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by IceMobster »

NO! Where is my Matrix review?! :mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Well, let me start with a thought I know has crossed the minds of people.
  • Are Hortator, RickD and other "dead-heads" here really Christian if they watch The Walking Dead? :P
As a side, who do you think got killed in the end? Thoughts? I reckon they went racist and killed the Asian.
The gay guy is definitely off limits at the moment. Imagine the uproar that would happen if he died?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Well, let me start with a thought I know has crossed the minds of people.
  • Are Hortator, RickD and other "dead-heads" here really Christian if they watch The Walking Dead? :P
As a side, who do you think got killed in the end? Thoughts? I reckon they went racist and killed the Asian.
The gay guy is definitely off limits at the moment. Imagine the uproar that would happen if he died?
Did someone die? I haven't see the last episode of the season yet. Thanks for the spoiler, K.

:crying:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Kurieuo wrote:Well, let me start with a thought I know has crossed the minds of people.
That's a fair question, and should be answered near the start of this topic. I know that, in the Christian world view, resurrection and reanimation are seen as good. But in the Sci-Fi zombie genre, it is portrayed as grotesque instead. So this could rub some people the wrong way.

However, the shows themselves (there are multiple) are not wholly hostile to Christianity. They deal with pretty harrowing situations where, the choices are basically stepping out of one dung pile to the next.

The characters are constantly debating among each other and with themselves, "Am I doing the right thing?" in fact, this upset many fans in season 2 of TWD because that was all the characters seemed to do was argue and debate what was right with what the world has given them, rather than killing zombies like some people tuned in for. One beloved character even became suicidal because she thought she was becoming a monster. So the constant questioning and trying to avoid evil as best as they can is the reason why I don't think TWD is perpendicular to Christian values.

But I will grant you that, again, on the surface, the show is grotesque. There is a popular phrase these days called "media consumption". Similar to food, if you consume crap, you're not going to get a positive result. Same with what you view or read about. So I prefer to look at TWD as my "treat", the top of the food pyramid where elephant ears and peach cobbler reign supreme, passing judgement on the lesser food groups, like vegetables.

edit: oh and a quick note, under no reason should kids watch this or the comics, period. Trust me.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

My son is convinced that Abraham is the one who got bashed over the head. He's been watching you tube videos and he narrowed it down to Abraham.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Will not read thread. I got too busy to keep watching around the middle of the third season. I'm planning a major Walking Dead binge marathon in about six or seven weeks. It's been very hard to avoid spoilers (same with Game of Thrones . . . sheesh, headlines EVERYWHERE).

*blindfoldedemoticonneededhere*
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

What? You watch Game of Thrones.
That takes things to a new level.
Not, that, I'd... know... :econfused:

Vikings anyone?

(gosh, I hope no Lordship Salvationists are reading! ;) :lol:)
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:What? You watch Game of Thrones.
That takes things to a new level.
Not, that, I'd... know... :econfused:

Vikings anyone?

(gosh, I hope no Lordship Salvationists are reading! ;) :lol:)
Well, a friend introduced me to 'Vikings'
He got me addicted - by the way is it bad to get through three seasons in a week or two? y:-? - And then he went off it himself....

Some friend :econfused: :P
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

You watch Vikings? :esurprised:
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:You watch Vikings? :esurprised:
You got a problem with that? :comeon:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

This is The Walking Dead thread. No Vikings allowed. No Game of Thrones allowed. No Downton Abbey allowed. No Fifty Shades of Grey allowed.
:shakehead:

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

RickD wrote:This is The Walking Dead thread. No Vikings allowed. No Game of Thrones allowed.
I agree, though I will say that it is interesting to me how these fan bases tend to overlap with each other. My parents are ardent fans of Vikings and TWD, and some people I know are obsessed with GoT and TWD as well.

Make a new thread if you so want :-D
No Downton Abbey allowed. No Fifty Shades of Grey allowed.
:shakehead:
Certainly not! :concur:
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I've got a comment -- my adult daughter has been watching The Walking Dead and I can't fathom Why. She lives on her own and with friends -- we are on different wave lengths in some areas.

The Walking Dead -- I've seen previews of episodes and don't understand Why anyone watches it. Or do people get attached to watching grotesque action? Don't people realize that what we watch gets into our minds and being? It's like being satisfied with getting a candy bar out of a bag of garbage? Or being satisfied with a half- rotten potato instead of getting a Good ham sandwich.

Just my thoughts.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:I've got a comment -- my adult daughter has been watching The Walking Dead and I can't fathom Why. She lives on her own and with friends -- we are on different wave lengths in some areas.

The Walking Dead -- I've seen previews of episodes and don't understand Why anyone watches it. Or do people get attached to watching grotesque action? Don't people realize that what we watch gets into our minds and being? It's like being satisfied with getting a candy bar out of a bag of garbage? Or being satisfied with a half- rotten potato instead of getting a Good ham sandwich.

Just my thoughts.
IMO,

Watching the walking dead is a lot like male homosexual sex. It seems repulsive and disgusting, until you actually try it a few times. Then you're hooked!

:pound:

-Edward R Murrow