HUGELY helpful Greek dictionary

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

HUGELY helpful Greek dictionary

Post by Jac3510 »

Hey all,

This is a pretty big deal. Louw and Nida's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains is now online and available for free. Here's the link:

http://www.laparola.net/greco/louwnida.php

This is REALLY helpful. It's one of those lexicons that scholars and translators refer to somewhat regularly when doing serious translational work. Rather than arrange words alphabetically, it arranges them by the type of word they are (although you can find an alphabetical listing as well if you are looking for a particular word). So the first major domain they deal with is geographical. Under that, they identify sixteen sub-domains (e.g., the universe, heavenly bodies, the earth's surface, etc.). Looking further at the first of those--the Universe or Creation itself--they identify five words that all overlap that domain in some respect. Here, they are κόσμος, αἰών, γῆ, οὐρανός, and κτίσις. Looking at the first of those, if you click it, you'll find the gloss ("universe") followed by its full semantic domain, in this case:
  • a universe 1.1
    b earth 1.39
    f adornment 6.188
    d people 9.23
    (αἰὼν τοῦ κόσμου τούτου) supernatural power 12.44
    c world system 41.38
    g tremendous amount 59.55
    e adorning 79.12
The numbers off to the side are links to other domains. So κόσμος, we find, can refer not only to the universe, but also to people generally (the ninth domain, which you can then check for other related words).

The only thing the site lacks is the articles discussing each word, but they are all really short articles anyway, usually a paragraph or less, and the really important stuff is what you have here. So I'd recommend taking a couple of hours and learning the Greek alphabet, and I promise, you will find this EXTREMELY helpful. I know that in all my years in seminary, this is my second most used lexicon. That you have it for free . . . well, let's just say I wish I did years ago. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Re: HUGELY helpful Greek dictionary

Post by neo-x »

Great source jac, thanks for sharing. :esmile:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: HUGELY helpful Greek dictionary

Post by 1over137 »

HUGE thanks, Jac. ;)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart