Crossing the Homiletical Bridge

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I cannot tell you how HIGHLY I recommend this book:

You can get an e-version for the next little while for $6. I've read more than a few books on homiletics, sermon/Bible study prep, hermeneutics, etc., and what I like about this one so much is that it is so down to earth and plain easy to read. Compare it to, say, Power in the Pulpit or Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, both of which I literally fell asleep (multiple times) reading . . . I read this entire book through in a couple of sittings. I actually found myself looking forward to the next page.

If you do any sort of sermon or Bible study prep, you should definitely get this. Even if you don't, and you just want to know "how does this passage apply to me?" it's still a great book, because it teaches you to to do real exegesis (rather than what Guthrie calls "guessegesis.") One of my favorite parts is where he walks through Mark 1:1-8. I'll quote the section dealing with that (from pages 104-106), just to give you a flavor of the text:
  • Mark 1:1-8 focuses on several important truths. One can easily make the case that the passage deals with the fulfillment of biblical prophecy (verses 1-3). The passage also highlights the meaningfulness and place of repentance and baptism (verses 4 and 8). One also could argue for the superiority of the ministry of Jesus (verses 7-8). If a preacher were to emphasize any of these concepts (or others he may see in the passage) he would not be doing anything wrong per se. However, the questions that should race through his mind are, “What can my listeners do with that information?” or “What in this passage will directly touch a listener’s heart, spirit, or life?”

The reason the preacher should ask these questions is because of the basic reality that listeners either already know those general truths or simply are not as moved by them as the preacher is. For example, the fact that the passage deals with the fulfillment of prophecy may be interesting to every Christian, but what can a listener do with such information outside of just “know” it? The same can be said for the place of repentance and baptism (unless one is preaching an evangelistic message) and the superiority of the ministry of Jesus.

I am not minimizing these truths. They are important and have a necessary place in the grand scheme of theological and spiritual development. But whoever said that the only way to share those truths is by merely picking one of them and explaining it topically? Why not look at the entire passage with the listener in mind? Then the obvious follow-up question would be, “Where does the action/application reside for the listener?" The star of the passage is John the Baptist. This reality should grab the attention of the preacher. He should, therefore, investigate John. What can he learn about John? Among the many
    truths he could uncover by studying The Baptist, he will certainly discover that John was a common man. In fact, he was a common man by choice. But this common man was used in a significantly powerful way for the purposes of God and that is the emphasis of Mark 1:1-8. For the most part preachers tend to preach to the common people. Therefore, the passage already possesses a natural relevance for the listener.

Once the preacher determines that the passage is about John being used for the purposes of God, he then should begin to study just what the passage says or reveals about that purposeful usage (probing question). Then, and quite importantly, that probing question would lead him to discover at least two ministerial traits that John possessed that the common listener possesses, or can possess, as well:

1. John’s ministry was connected to the power of God (vss. 1-5)
    2. John’s ministry was complimented with humility (vss. 6-8)

Once these traits are revealed in the preacher’s study, the homiletical process is now quite simple. All the preacher has to do is share with the congregation what those traits mean to and for them.
Anyway, it's a very practical book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Zionist
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Crossing the Homiletical Bridge

Post by Zionist »

very nice jac. i really liked how the writer broke that portion of scripture down with simplicity and deepness intended for the reader to think more when interpreting scrpture. thanks for the post and i really want to get this book now. :)
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

I'm reading the first chapter for free, and loving it. But where can you buy a 'real' copy. I couldn't even see that it was available on Kindle?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

got it ordered. A little more expensive than the e version ($24), but I can underline, and fold the pages. Not to mention, I can read it on the throne.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

No better place to read than the throne. Let me know what you think of it as you make some progress through it. You, too, Zionist. I'd be interested to see if it makes as much sense to everyone else as it does to me.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Zionist
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Zionist »

@ Jac
np when i get a hold of the book i'll be sure to let you know what i think. thanks again for the find and i do look forward to reading it :)
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Got my book yesterday, and I must say that I am loving it.
There are so many things Tony covers that I find myself saying, "that is exactly what I've been trying to say." It is so great to hear someone communicate it so clearly.

For example, he speaks about all these 'new,' 'fresh' churches.
About a year ago, I wrote a letter to a pastor who had planted a church in the county I live in. They had a hip, thriving church in the next county over, and the pastor had a hip book (which I read, btw) about how Jesus was his CEO. (The Climb of Your Life)
I asked him a simple question, "As a citizen of this community, laborer in the local mission field, and member of a long established local congregation, what needs did you see lacking in our County that you believed God called you to meet?"
The first email was a little defensive, but offered no answer. So, I replied again, explaining that I see needs in our community, I have a heart for those needs, and, as a believer, citizen and local missionary in this county, I believe that you have an obligation to explain to me your mission.

He finally conceeded that their church had a goal to have a plant in each of the surrounding counties. No call, no mandate from God. No abiblity to clearly articulate how they had chosen our county. Just an inward, self-motivated, project to grow their congregation. Guess where most of their members came from? Existing congregations. As an example, we had a family who was actively involved in our congregation. Their son was promoting to youth, and was having all kinds of issues with the other youth. So, instead of dealing with the issues, they pack up, pull out of their mininstry committments and go down the street. Our county is littered with hundreds if not thousands of Christian congregations of all shapes and sizes. Their move into our county is akin to saying, "You guys are doing it all wrong, we can do it better." Now, of course they don't think that.

jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Jac3510 wrote: I'd be interested to see if it makes as much sense to everyone else as it does to me.
To get back to you.
The answer is a resounding yes. His ability to communicate in layman's terms is unmatched, I would say. I think this book is an absolute must for anyone who teaches or preaches, and I'd say all Christians should be equipped to do that on at least some level. If nothing else, it is a marvelous way to "test all things" to see if those we sit under are being faithful to accurate exegesis and meaningful exposition. He makes a great point that audience is equally as important as exegesis. I think a lot of preachers miss this. Being that I teach and preach to children, this is much more obvious. Shaping your message to your audience is essential, so that the audience knows how it applies to them. His examples and anecdotes make the book incredibly readable. I was also very encouraged that he affirmed many things that I already believe and practice.

I was also thrilled to hear he is a fan of the Tennessee Volunteers (my Alma Mater) and SEC football.