[Book Review] Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

[Book Review] Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation

Post by Jac3510 »

Below is a book review I wrote for our library newsletter. I thought it may be of interest for the site, given the subject matter. Enjoy :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howe, Thomas. Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation. Foreword by Norman Geisler. Altamonte Springs, FL: Advantage Inspirational, 2004.

Thomas Howe, an LRS alumnus, professor of Bible and Biblical Languages at Southern Evangelical Seminary, and elder brother of former LRS philosophy and apologetics professor Richard Howe, has written Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation to “call into question the universal rejection of objectivity” and “to set forth a reasoned argument for objectivity in interpretation.” (p. xiv) Anyone who has ever been in a discussion on the meaning of a Bible verse or passage and has heard, “Well, that's just your interpretation,” will immediately see the importance of such a study. Is there one correct interpretation of Scripture, or can the Bible—indeed, the same verse—mean one thing to one person and something completely different to another? If truth is relative, that is, if there is no such thing as absolute truth, then the latter must be true. For if there is no such thing as Truth, or if Truth cannot be known, then no one can claim that they have the true understanding of a given text. But if Truth does exist, and if it can be known, then it is possible for there to be one true meaning, and, more importantly, it is may be possible for that meaning to be known and understood.

Admittedly, many people read the same passages of Scripture and come up with different or even contradictory interpretations. Howe spends the first part of the book explaining that most scholars claim this is due to each person's presuppositions—ideas that a person holds before he or she comes to the text that influence how they interpret it. As a result, each person's interpretation will be different; it will be their interpretation in light of their situation, but it cannot be said to be the interpretation! While such a conclusion is problematic for Evangelicals, Howe shows that even most Evangelical scholars have been persuaded by this line of thought, though they try to avoid its conclusion. Klein, Blomberg, and Hubbard, for instance, in their Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, a standard in the field, acknowledge “an inevitable circularity in interpretation” (p. 212), which they attempt to circumvent with their now famous discussion of the hermeneutical spiral.

The entire problem, according to Howe, is a philosophical one. Whatever methodologies for biblical interpretation evangelicals like KBH propose, unless the underlying problems are addressed, it seems that objectivity in interpretation, and thus a correct interpretation, is simply impossible. Howe sets out to answer this problem by first pointing out that the entire problem is based on a self-contradiction. Namely, if all interpretation necessarily begins from certain presuppositions, what about that presupposition? Does that presupposition rest on others ad infinitium? And if all presuppositions are changeable—a central tenet for most scholars—then what about the presupposition that all presuppositions are changeable? Is it itself changeable? By this, Howe hopes to show that there are certain “properly basic” presuppositions, that is, presuppositions that are foundational and are the basis for all others and, more importantly, are common to all people. These, he argues, form the basis for the acceptance of the possibility of real objectivity in interpretation, and thus the possibility of coming to the correct interpretation of a text.

The second major feature of Howe's argument is his dismantling of the almost universally held “Representational Epistemology.” Following from the philosophy of Descartes, this view holds that what a person sees in their mind is only a representation of reality, and thus, the only thing ever really known is what the mind has produced. But if this is true, then because there is no way to get outside of one's mind to compare one's mental images with reality, there is no way to know whether or not those mental images accurately represent reality. Further, these images are formed with reference to one's various presuppositions, rendering real, objective knowledge impossible. But again, this is self-refuting, for if one can have real, objective knowledge that real, objective knowledge is impossible, one has just disproven himself.

Against, this, Howe suggests an entirely different philosophical basis from which we may reason and achieve objectivity and real knowledge. Starting from the proposition that reality exists (“Reality is that which exists, or as we have phrased it, 'That which is'”, p. 309), he argues we should ask the question, “What is that which is?” This study of reality is called metaphysics. Once a proper metaphysic has been set, one can ask “How do we know that which is?” This study of knowledge is called epistemology. From there one progresses to the field of linguistics, which asks “How do we communicate what we know?” Finally, one can ask, “How do we understand what is communicated?” This is the study of hermeneutics, that is, of interpretation.

This scheme provides a roadmap for the rest of the book. Complete with numerous illustrations, Howe lays out a philosophical system that refutes and replaces Representational Epistemology while explaining and defending the objective nature of knowledge. Further, the system he proposes, elaborated by Thomas Aquinas, has roots as far back as Aristotle and has many outstanding defenders today. The end result is a consistent philosophical system on which the work of most major hermeneutic textbooks can be firmly planted.

The field of hermeneutics in general is a fascinating study, and in many ways can be said to be the primary factor in determining one's theological positions. Whether or not a text should be taken literally or figuratively, how important culture is in interpretation, and how theology and progressive revelation are to bear on one's understanding of the text are all extremely important questions. They are the questions hermeneutics textbooks are designed to answer. But all of those questions presuppose an answer is possible. Our postmodern culture, however, is suspicious of all truth claims. The postmodern's question is not, “How do I find out what this text means?” but “How do I know this text means anything at all?” As such, Howe's book is an important one for apologists, laymen, and ministers alike. For apologists, the question of objectivity, or of the possibility of knowledge, is paramount. For laymen, the culture in which we live demands more than historical facts and word studies to back one's “opinion” on what a text means. For ministers, they must understand how to overcome the objection, “But that's just your interpretation.” It is, after all, the job of the preacher to expound, to the best of his ability and with the help of the Holy Spirit, on what the Bible really says. It does little good to explain a text properly if, at the end of the message, one's congregants only think, “Well, he has an interesting view on that passage!” Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation meets just that argument. As such, it should not be considered a hermeneutics book so much as the presupposition to the hermeneutics textbook, and thus, it should be read by everyone who wants to accurately explain what God really meant when He inspired His Word to be written.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Re: [Book Review] Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I haven't read Objectivity in Biblical Interpretation, but it does seem interesting judging from your review. A question:
Jac3510 wrote: Starting from the proposition that reality exists (“Reality is that which exists, or as we have phrased it, 'That which is'”, p. 309), he argues we should ask the question, “What is that which is?”
(my emphasis.)

I've seen it before - a long time ago - in books written by Ayn Rand and publications sanctioned by her. You may know that Rand was an atheist to the end of her life, but the philosophy she gave birth to, Objectivism, is not by extention atheistic.* Objectivism argues that That which is, is, and there is nothing else.

So, my question to you, Jac3510, is:

Can a layman read Mr Howe's book easily?

FL

*Say this at a forum on Objectivism and you'll be looked at like you have two heads!
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Nice review Jac.

Do you put your reviews up on Amazon? You should.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

FL wrote:I've seen it before - a long time ago - in books written by Ayn Rand and publications sanctioned by her. You may know that Rand was an atheist to the end of her life, but the philosophy she gave birth to, Objectivism, is not by extention atheistic.* Objectivism argues that That which is, is, and there is nothing else.

So, my question to you, Jac3510, is:

Can a layman read Mr Howe's book easily?

FL

*Say this at a forum on Objectivism and you'll be looked at like you have two heads!
I think Howe actually mentions Rand's version of Objectivism is his review on the meaning of the word "objective." He looks at it from a lot of different perspectives. I'm not familiar with her view, but Howe is a Moderate Realist (Thomist/Aristotelian); if you read the book, you'll probably be able to compare the two views pretty easily.

As far as the ease of the book, hey, it's a philosophy book. It's harder than CS Lewis, but easier than Henry Veatch. I read it twice. The first time was a struggle, because I had never been introduced to those ideas before. I was very Cartesian and simply didn't know it. On the second reading, it was much smoother, not because I had already read that book, but because I already had a background in the concepts he was addressing. So if you have a working knowledge on basical philosophical issues, you'll get through it just fine. If you have a working knowledge of classical philosophy, so much the better (i.e., form/matter, natural/formal signs, etc.). If you don't, he explains them all in some detail, but expect it to be a serious learning adventure.

All that said, it's fun and interesting if you are into philosophy and hermeneutics and want to really understand what is going on when we say we are interpreting a text.
Canuckster wrote:Nice review Jac.

Do you put your reviews up on Amazon? You should.
Thanks much, sir. :)

I have a few up. I just finished this one, so it isn't up yet. I have found I really enjoy doing them, though, so who knows . . . maybe in a couple of years, I'll have quite a little library of reviews going. 8)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I think I've told you that reviewing is a hobby of mine. I'm now in the top 1000 reviewers on Amazon and as a result I get a lot of free books and materials from authors and publishers. That's a blessing and a curse, because now I have to fight for the time to read what I want to read instead of what's being directed my way.

It's still fun however and something I enjoy. I'd encourage you to keep it up.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I do remember you telling me that. So how did you get in the top 1000? I enjoy reading/writing, so reviewing is right up my alley. And if I can get free books for it . .. ;)
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Jac3510 wrote:I do remember you telling me that. So how did you get in the top 1000? I enjoy reading/writing, so reviewing is right up my alley. And if I can get free books for it . .. ;)
No secret to it. Just keep reading and reviewing and putting up your reviews. Over time, quality reviews tend to get more votes and feedback than others and you raise in the ranking,

My profile on Amazon is here. Take a look if you like and maybe it will give you some ideas, but I'd encourage you to do it. I'm finding it's even opening doors for me professionally and in informal ministry. I didn't start with that in mind, but it's neat to see it developing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A34PCCROYXQM77
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Thanks for your answer, Jac3510. I appreciate it and will be buying the book.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +