Edge of Evolution - The limits of Darwinism

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Edge of Evolution - The limits of Darwinism

Post by Silvertusk »

Hi

I have just brought Michael Behe's latest book and I am reading it now. It is very interesting but unfortunately I dont really have the necessary expertiese to see whether it is really good or not. Because I am not a biologst I am taking everything in the book at face value. Are there any biologists on board who would like to take a shot at reading it to see whether it is accurate or not?

Thankyou

God Bless.

SIlvertusk
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Edge of Evolution - The limits of Darwinism

Post by zoegirl »

I will get it for my summertime reading...
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Cool - Thanks Zooegirl - Let me know what you think :D
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

CAre to provide any summaries of what you have read so far? What are some of the ideas that you are not sure of?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Well. The first couple of chapters go on about evolution of the Malaria parasite and Sickle Cell disease and how the Hemoglobin has adapted through mutations - which although gives benefits and resitance to malaria still diminished the function of the Hemoglobin. He talks about it as trench warfare rather than an arms race as some evolutionists have put it. Basically it is solid evidence for Microevolution. Michael Behe actually agrees also with comment descent - this is where i get confused. I can fully accept his evidences for microevolution but I am not sure where he is going with this, I thought he was going to set the limits of evolution at micro-evolution and not macro-evolution. I still cant see how people can possibly beleive that species can actually change into one another through mutation, which in fact diminsh the functionality of the organism in general. Actual beneficial mutations are so unbelievable rare that it seems nonsense. So how can Behe, who is pretty much one of the founders of the ID movement beleive in common descent. I am obviously going to read more - but that is where I am up to at the moment.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Thanks,

I will check it out.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Okay, this is really pathetic, but I am just know getting to reading this book. I purchased it during the senior trip for the hgh school seniors as one of my summer reading plans. So planning on reading it soon.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Lol, Still reading through it. I am about halfway through it and here is what I am thinking:

Advantages: He does an great job showing some of the limits and being skeptical. And in science, the skeptic is the key to posing questions...why? What next? What;s the problem? With regard to evolution, Behe shows multiple examples of mutations that are out there and their benefits and limitations.

Disadvantages: While he is skeptical and this is worthwhile, he seems willing to come to easy conclusions about the limits of evolution. Too often so far he reaches the "oh it won't happen" statement (which will always lead to a dead end in research) instead of offering areas of further research (at least so far)

Will continue...trying hard to whittle down my "to be read" pile
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"