Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Disciplical
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Disciplical »

Nessa wrote:
Hey Tommy :esmile:

So what do you do in the UK?

I've from New Zealand... far far away...
The opposite end of the world! I've always wondered how you lot type while upside-down.

I've just finished university. I'm not entirely sure what to do with myself at the time being but I would like to go into business. My great-grandmother left me a nice inheritance when she passed on so it would be good to put it into action and make it work for me.
Jac3510 wrote:
Nessa wrote:Hey Tommy :esmile:

So what do you do in the UK?

I've from New Sealand... far far away...
FTFY. We should help Tomtom feel at home for awhile, ya know? I don't mind misspelling words if it helps him get along a bit better. :lol:

fakedit:

Tommy, welcome to the boards. Good to have you with us. :wave:
Thank you, it's good to be here. :esmile:
Philip wrote:Thomas, welcome aboard!

BTW, I'd hate to go by "Tom" and also have a nephew or niece! :lol:
I... must be missing the joke here y:-?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

I... must be missing the joke here y:-?
An "Uncle Tom" is what black people in the U.S. have historically referred to other black people who sucked up to white people, did their all of their bidding, didn't stand up for themselves or other black people, allowed themselves to be used or humiliated. In fact, in the states, you will VERY rarely ever see a black man named "Tom."
Disciplical
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Disciplical »

Well you learn something new every day!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Disciplical wrote:Well you learn something new every day!
Welcome. You'll learn lots here because we're all so smart. :wave:
*Except the non-Christians at the board. They'd never know who Uncle Tom is. So pay them no attention.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I'm American, and it took me a while to get that joke. But then again, it takes me a while to get any of Philip's jokes.

South Carolinians have a weird sense of humor. One time, they decided to fly the confederate battle flag at their state house, as a response to the civil rights movement. Real funny South Carolina! Not!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

South Carolinians have a weird sense of humor. One time, they decided to fly the confederate battle flag at their state house, as a response to the civil rights movement. Real funny South Carolina! Not!
Pointless, stupid statement, above!

Ancient history! And when they put the flag up was a sad day indeed. Not nearly as many racists in SC or the Legislature as there once was - few, in fact. The Republican gov is female and a minority/Indian. Of our two senators, one of them is black - and a Republican (yes, Republicans WILL vote for good conservative black and minority candidates!). The usual out-of-state racists (from BOTH sides of the aisle - the Klan, the New Black Panthers) tried to bring the usual horror show to SC over the Charleston church shooting - amazing grace shown by the Christian families, people of all colors weeping and praying together - they triumphed over the evil of the racists. And THAT is what brought the flag down - SC has greatly changed for the better!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Pointless, stupid statement, above!

Ancient history! And when they put the flag up was a sad day indeed. Not nearly as many racists in SC or the Legislature as there once was - few, in fact. The Republican gov is female and a minority/Indian. Of our two senators, one of them is black - and a Republican (yes, Republicans WILL vote for good conservative black and minority candidates!). The usual out-of-state racists (from BOTH sides of the aisle - the Klan, the New Black Panthers) tried to bring the usual horror show to SC over the Charleston church shooting - amazing grace shown by the Christian families, people of all colors weeping and praying together - they triumphed over the evil of the racists. And THAT is what brought the flag down - SC has greatly changed for the better!
Philip,

I'm not sure why I made that comment. Maybe I miss FL so much, that I felt like it's something he would've said.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick, I definitely miss FL as well. But if he just wants to continue in making deliberate racial or otherwise hurtful and pointless statements, in attempts to showcase his relentlessly sarcastic wit, then this is not the place for him. The purposes of the forum and those his unfortunate comments unnecessarily hurt and anger are FAR more important than any one person's narcissistic impulses to so mindlessly express themselves. When I called him out on it, he was unrepentant and pathetically tried to play it off as being an issue of "the big, bad mods being obsessed with political correctness and of having no sense of humor." I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I think he's incapable of behaving himself - which is Probably the reason why he has quit posting here. And if he were allowed to only post via his own sensibilities as to what is acceptable, I can see him causing lots of future hurt and problems. But I do sincerely miss him and hope he's doing well. He is a real character and one of the funniest people you'll ever meet. But for the purposes of this forum, he's a sometimes dangerous and mixed bag. And, of course, no one asked him to leave, only to behave. But FL is militantly rebellious and anti-authority.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I've seen you mods throw your weight around a bit.
Often when loosing a discussion, the threats come that we're not playing by the rules.
:poke: :poke: :poke:
:troll:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Rick, I definitely miss FL as well. But if he just wants to continue in making deliberate racial or otherwise hurtful and pointless statements, in attempts to showcase his relentlessly sarcastic wit, then this is not the place for him. The purposes of the forum and those his unfortunate comments unnecessarily hurt and anger are FAR more important than any one person's narcissistic impulses to so mindlessly express themselves. When I called him out on it, he was unrepentant and pathetically tried to play it off as being an issue of "the big, bad mods being obsessed with political correctness and of having no sense of humor." I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I think he's incapable of behaving himself - which is Probably the reason why he has quit posting here. And if he were allowed to only post via his own sensibilities as to what is acceptable, I can see him causing lots of future hurt and problems. But I do sincerely miss him and hope he's doing well. He is a real character and one of the funniest people you'll ever meet. But for the purposes of this forum, he's a sometimes dangerous and mixed bag. And, of course, no one asked him to leave, only to behave. But FL is militantly rebellious and anti-authority.
Obviously what you said comes from a bias against French Canadians!

Règles anarchie!

Vive le français!

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:I've seen you mods throw your weight around a bit.
Often when loosing a discussion, the threats come that we're not playing by the rules.
How does one "loose" a discussion?

Only loosers can't differentiate between loose and lose! :slol:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I CAN'T throw my weight around anymore - I've lost 43 lbs. since a year ago. :esurprised: Keeping in off, too! :D I'll have to let Larry or one of the others throw their weight around, I have no more spare tire to, well, you know, to spare. More :fruitcake:, anyone?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:I've seen you mods throw your weight around a bit.
How does one "loose" a discussion?

Only loosers can't differentiate between loose and lose! :slol:
I just made that look in your avatar. :P
that look
that look
6116.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Philip wrote:
I CAN'T throw my weight around anymore - I've lost 43 lbs. since a year ago. :esurprised: Keeping in off, too! :D I'll have to let Larry or one of the others throw their weight around, I have no more spare tire to, well, you know, to spare. More :fruitcake:, anyone?
Wow, congratulations! You know, we should have made FL a mod all those years ago.
Now that would have been interesting. y:-?
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Hello.

Have no idea what to say here, but I guess I am one of those readers who scans and never posts. Mainly because I'm intimidated by the intelligence and knowledge of many of you. But I've decided that, by interacting with wise men, one may become a wise man. (Or woman)

So, hello again. You may see more of me soon.