Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
LittleShepherd
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by LittleShepherd »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I always thought Buddhism was full of "peaceful and serene" people. It's amazing that people put their faith in a dead guy who said much and did nothing fantastic....except get his belly in every Chinese restaurant...(and I was told he wasn't fat, so how ironic).
Buddha is portayed as fat due to an eastern belief in 7 chakras(concentrated points of energy). The chakra in the stomach region is the one dealing with generosity, so they portray Buddha as fat to symbolize his generosity. It's a symbolic, rather than literal, interpretation of the Buddha. You're right, though -- Sidharta was not fat. He was a man who created his own philosophy about the nature of man, suffering, and the afterlife -- strangely, he did this(at least partially) in response to his distaste for Christianity.

You would think, too, that Buddhists would be all serene and peaceful. I'm here to tell you that's not true -- they're just as loud, obnoxious, arrogant, and pigheaded as the rest of us. They're also under a lot of pressure since Buddhism is, at its core, one of those do-it-yourself relgions, where all of the responsibility and work is up to you. No Holy Spirit to help them, guide them, and console them.

And yes, the third place that Buddhism falls down is in the fact that its founder(Sidharta) occupies a grave. Like other major religions and philosophies(Islam, Confucianism, etc.), Christianity remains the only one that can point to an unoccupied tomb(with nothing short of miraculous resurrection to explain its emptiness, since it was in fact occupied at one point).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dear Friends, I am probably one of the older members of this board. I love the Lord and I am eternally grateful for His love, patience and caring. As I look back on my life I see that he has always been there, always beside me, along with the holy spirit to guide and counsel me. I am 49 years old and I am here only because of His grace. I am moved to write these lines for the benefit they will give someone, someday. Just as I have been the beneficiary of the testimony of those who have gone before me.

I have been impressed with the spiritual maturity of the many sincere Christians and the SINCERE seekers who have posted on this bulletin board. I am glad that the moderators saw fit to minimize the abrasive, inconsistent and illogical attacks some committed atheists were posting until late last year.

I am a physician and everyday I look back on my day grateful that God's hand and spirit guided my actions and words. Every time, I have gone against the urgings of the holy spirit in my life I have looked back to regret it.

It really is true that if you seek God with all your heart and all your mind you will find Him. And, when you do, you WILL love him with all your heart and all your strength.

God Bless you.
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

I have a big apology to make:

Oh, goodness. I should have checked my resources before speaking against Buddhism. I mean...it's not a huge thing, but I did find something I said to be wrong.

Sidharta Guatama, the founder of Buddhism, never came in contact with Christianity. In fact, he lived ~563-483 years too early. He did come in contact with messages of a good and loving god, but it was the god of his own country of India, Ishvara. The following is a quote from the Way of the Master website on the subject of Buddhism:

"Buddhism was founded as a form of atheism that rejected more ancient beliefs in a permanent, personal, creator God (Ishvara) who controlled the eternal destiny of human souls. Siddhartha Gautama rejected more ancient theistic beliefs because of difficulty he had over reconciling the reality of suffering, judgment, and evil with the existence of a good and holy God."

He didn't come in contact with Christianity, but he had some of the same objections that people often have with Christianity -- they can't reconcile the existence of suffering and evil with the existence of a good and loving god.

The person who rejected Christianity due to actual exposure to people claiming to be Christians whom I was thinking of was not Sidharta, but was rather Ghandi. He was the one who knew the Christian scriptures well, and was quoted as saying "I might be persuaded to become a Christian...if I ever met one." He was also, roughly, a Hindu(not Buddhist).

Such views of Christianity are hardly unique to Hindus, and I'm certain many Buddhists have felt the same way. I just wanted to clear up my mistake. I apologize.

I still stand behind the other comments I made about Buddhism.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

Mastermind wrote:Skeptics are frowned upon around here.
Not really, Mastermind. I love a good, honest skeptic that is not close-minded.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

LittleShepherd wrote:I have a big apology to make:

Oh, goodness. I should have checked my resources before speaking against Buddhism. I mean...it's not a huge thing, but I did find something I said to be wrong.

Sidharta Guatama, the founder of Buddhism, never came in contact with Christianity. In fact, he lived ~563-483 years too early. He did come in contact with messages of a good and loving god, but it was the god of his own country of India, Ishvara. The following is a quote from the Way of the Master website on the subject of Buddhism:

"Buddhism was founded as a form of atheism that rejected more ancient beliefs in a permanent, personal, creator God (Ishvara) who controlled the eternal destiny of human souls. Siddhartha Gautama rejected more ancient theistic beliefs because of difficulty he had over reconciling the reality of suffering, judgment, and evil with the existence of a good and holy God."

He didn't come in contact with Christianity, but he had some of the same objections that people often have with Christianity -- they can't reconcile the existence of suffering and evil with the existence of a good and loving god.

The person who rejected Christianity due to actual exposure to people claiming to be Christians whom I was thinking of was not Sidharta, but was rather Ghandi. He was the one who knew the Christian scriptures well, and was quoted as saying "I might be persuaded to become a Christian...if I ever met one." He was also, roughly, a Hindu(not Buddhist).

Such views of Christianity are hardly unique to Hindus, and I'm certain many Buddhists have felt the same way. I just wanted to clear up my mistake. I apologize.

I still stand behind the other comments I made about Buddhism.
I don't even consider any other religions..strange or idolatrous. Never will..

Never have actually, I had the same one since my early childhood.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Name is Todd and the Army brought me to Harrisburg, PA. Originally grew up in Maine. Huge Red Sox fan. Love reading and playing with my kids. Been looking for a site like this for a while. Have always wanted more "meat" to accompany the Sunday School Stories.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

And???
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

and... this is the thread for introductions so he posted in the right spot. ;)

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

lmao
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hi y'all im Ed and im new here. Just checking out the forum ^_^
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

I just joined too. This message board rocks. I'm glad there's a fun board for us Christians to discuss things.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Battlehelmet wrote:And???
This isn't Dr. Phil, we're introducing ourselves, not telling the world what's wrong with us and how we accidentally married our first cousin.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Welcome Wagon Goes to the ER

Post by kateliz »

Hey nomad, Ed and ochotseat!

Please pardon lil' ol' Kmart here. He must have lost his manners when he lost his marbles oh so long ago. :wink: Haven't found them yet, have you Kmart? You could try looking in aisle 7 in the toy section. Though remember what I told you last time about dumping them all out on the floor and then running to cry to me about how they all ran away from you "with meanie faces!" We don't need another bump on the head, now do we?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I was quoting Battlehelmet by the way. I have no qualms over hearing about people and their background. And you dumped the toys on the ground, right on my foot.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Kmart's in the Doghouse

Post by kateliz »

I don't care who started it, you didn't say "hello" to the nice people like I taught you to! My, my but your memory is poor for being so young, little Junior! It was from your own hands that dumptruck fell, and you'd better be thankful I let that doctor put that cast on you! You know full well how I rely on you to push me around in my wheelchair! These knees of mine ain't what they should be thanks to having to chase you around when you was a toddler! Land sakes, chile'! Have you forgotten all I've done for you in your few years of living? I've lived enough of my own years without having to deal with yours as well! And if you don't do what you're tol' to one more time, well then you can start calling that rickety doghouse at the neighbors' home!