Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Kurieuo »

I just want to welcome those who do decide to partipate at these the God and Science discussions by becoming a member of the community here. So welcome. :)

Also, be sure to briefly introduce yourself or just say hello within this thread, to let people know you're here (that includes you readers who always scan, but never post ;)).

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Hello new board (darn...there goes my post seniority :wink: )
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

It is being thought that the old board may be left up permanently (at least for a long while) at http://discussions.godandscience.org/old/ with posting disabled, so that people can browse over older posts and so forth. There were quite a few gems on the old board, but it was thought best to begin a new one from scratch. So perhaps people will make a connection with your seniority. :)

Kurieuo.
Blind Electric Ray
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by Blind Electric Ray »

Hi, I'm Blind Electric Ray, a frustrated writer, guitar player and wag, currently dwelling in London.

Despite my skeptical views, I do like a good hymn, and seeing as it is so appropriate to this board I wanted to share with you the words to Beethoven's "Creation Hymn" Sechs Leider, Op. 48 as it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I know, and the words are almost impossible to track down:

The heav'ns declare the Creator's glory;
Their sound forth tells his wonderous Name.
The earth doth praise him,
the oceans proclaim him,
Receive, O Man, their God-like world!
Who holds the numberless stars in the heavens?
Who leadeth forth the flaming sun?
It shines resplendent,
his wonder revealing;
with joy a hero's course to run,
With joy a hero's course to run.

Lest I should be accused of unacknowledged plagiarism it's from Hymnal Hymns for Church and School published by Gresham Books, and I had to email my old school in New Zealand to find the words - even Google let me down! I am sure some keen bean will point out that this is actually the text of a psalm or something and that i could have found it in the King James Edn, but there you have it, all the same...
Blind Electric Ray
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Hey--welcome to the boards. Your hymn matches my signature so I can't complain. :) I'm from Australia, so if you stay around perhaps I can post some Kiwi jokes and know they'll hit their mark? ;)

Kurieuo.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hello everyone. it was weird coming to the site and all of a sudden all the old posts were gone... anyways, my name is Justin and i'm a first year student at uc irvine in southern california, but i don't start for another 2 weeks :D i love sports, cars, and Jesus, haha
Athiest2Christian
Acquainted Member

Just making the introduction

Post by Athiest2Christian »

Hey Everyone,

Wow, what a great site. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm such a level-headed individual and the apologetics part of this site in particular is just right up my alley.

I'm in Columbus, OH, USA and have only recently converted to Christianity thanks to some unmistakable work on the part of God. I am 26 yeras old, a pretty good musician who is diguised as an electrical/software/computer engineer. I play drums & guitar and am working on singing much to the chagrin of my neighbors and roommate. :wink:

I go to the Vineyard Church in Columbus (http://www.vineyardcolumbus.com) and Christ has seriously made the best impact on my life, way better than I ever thought possible.

Chris L.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Welcome back Mustang, and welcome Chris--it's good to hear you found Christ :). Perhaps you'd be willing to share your testimony some time and how you came about the change of heart towards Christianity.

Look forward to seeing you guys around here.

Kurieuo.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Hey guys--sorry I was away for the past few weeks with no notice. When your internet connection gets fried, there isn't too much you can do about it . . .

Anyway, I'm glad the new boards are up and going.

As for any newcomers who don't know me--I'm a seminary student and youth minister in the Atlanta area. I love apologetics and everything about it, but especially the discipleship aspect that more than a few Christians are totally missing out on.

God bless
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi to everybody. Most of you already know me, but let me introduce myself for the others.

I'm from Italy, working as researcher in mathematical physics and personally not believing in god for a number of resons I prefer not to enter here... :)

My intersests run from fundamental physics and general relativity to mathematics. I'm also interested in biology and geology, though not an expert in that.

Personally I'm not very interested in religion. So you might ask which are the reasons for me to be here?
Well first I'm curious to understand how someone can believe that science supports some absurdities (the man popping out of nothing instead of evolving from apes, the Earth to be around for much less than 4BY, the flood to be a real event-local or global is not much difference-, God living in the extra dimensions of strings).
Second, I like to discuss and sometimes I learn something new (it happened many times in the last 2 years!)
Third, I'm sincerely interested in anthropology... I'd like to undestand, of some guys on board, when they lie consciously or when they simply repeat arguments they don't understand.

I personally don't feel obliged to convince anyone that (s)he is wrong.
As I said many times everybody is free to believe what (s)he wishes.
However, personal freedom is considerably reduced when we discuss about what science claims. I mean I wish I could run 100 meters in 5 secs, but just I cannot. World is unfair, but just in the same way I don't mind if one believes that god exists, provided that one doesn't claim that science unambiguisly supports that it created men out of dust.

My favourite quotation is

We are travelling through the woods,
with everything we have learned and
with our weak intuition always wishing
we are smarter.

It would be a discouraging state of confusion
and we would feel lost
if it wasn't that the trip is wonderful
and the landscape so breathtaking.

Guess who is the author? ;)

PS I was away in the last few weeks. Be patient and I'll reply to the threads left on the old board.
If this doesn't happend in the next week, just let me know and I'll reply.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

ipazia wrote:Personally I'm not very interested in religion. So you might ask which are the reasons for me to be here?
Well first I'm curious to understand how someone can believe that science supports some absurdities (the man popping out of nothing instead of evolving from apes, the Earth to be around for much less than 4BY, the flood to be a real event-local or global is not much difference-, God living in the extra dimensions of strings).
Second, I like to discuss and sometimes I learn something new (it happened many times in the last 2 years!)
Third, I'm sincerely interested in anthropology... I'd like to undestand, of some guys on board, when they lie consciously or when they simply repeat arguments they don't understand.
Hi Ipazia,

Just incase you're not aware, I want to ensure you understand some of the changes that have happened here and especially what is hoped for with this new board. So if you haven't already done so already, I'd encourage to read over http://discussions.godandscience.org/viewtopic.php?t=3.

I just know from the past that you tended to love your heated debates and trying to argue against Christianity, which this is no longer an appropriate board for doing. Unless you are really seeking Christian answers (which by your admission it appears you're not very interested in any religion), and Christianity is still a possibility for you, I'd think a debating board such as Internet Infidels would be more your style.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring the changes and new purpose of this board to your attention, but I'll leave the decision up to you.

Kind regards,
Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hay'a,
I'm a far from fundy(fundamentalist), born again, carismaniac, from Cranbrook BC, Canada. I'm an active member/leader/musician in my seeker oriented "rock and roll" church. I have a wife and 3 young kids.

I look forward to some good in-depth discussions on church, theology and the Bible. I usually spend my time debating in an atheist forum, this will be a refreshing change. :)

thnx
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everyone,

I'm Kev (probably should've dropped the Lack moniker at the board switch, because God gives me knack when I really need it. :) ) I'm a Christian, a second-year Ontarian university student in an arts-science split, interested in almost any subject I can comprehend, and many that I can't. I have a lot to learn, but God is good, and will see me through.

I don't get to come by here often, but I hope to see you all around.

Lack/Kev
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Welcome Pooky, and good to see you back Knack. :)

Kurieuo.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everyone. This seems like a cool forum and I look forward to interacting with the thoughtful people here.

I'm 31, but believe it or not, I've only just now starting reading the Holy Bible. I always knew I'd have to eventually, but I seemed to keep putting it off. Some recent research I did led me to the Good Book and I've become quite rapt by it.

Ever since I was young, I've been interested in eschatology. Perhaps I knew intuitively that I had been born into them or perhaps it was a result of growing up during the Cold War or a little of both. Regardless, it has always been my prime fascination and I am finally starting to seriously look to the Bible for some answers.

Thanks for welcoming me!