The pain of not getting what you want

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

The pain of not getting what you want

Post by Nessa »

I started to read Job today.

Also read David's response when his child died.

Both chose to still worship God in those painful circumstances of not getting what they desired.

How do we react when God says no to something we desire?

Was also reading Psalm 103:13 that God heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds which seems to be a great hope to cling to in painful circumstances.

Also this question is to atheists who don't get what you want. How do you handle it?
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The pain of not getting what you want

Post by Philip »

Ness, it sounds like you can personally very much identify with some sort of similar pain?

As for atheists, they can only endure or attempt to numb the pain of life, as they have no hope of any certain power they can turn to in their trials and fears. They have nothing to look forward to beyond hoped for old age, its trials, and death. How depressing - and how scary the future and the looming end must be for them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Unanswered Prayers
https://youtu.be/9GuA5PZx3K4
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Nessa wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 pm I started to read Job today.

Both chose to still worship God in those painful circumstances of not getting what they desired.

Was also reading Psalm 103:13 that God heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds which seems to be a great hope to cling to in painful circumstances.
I can confirm this.

I did not want Tomas to die.
We longed for having children.
And I do not want to suffer the way I suffer right now because some people hurted me a lot and it still hurts hell a lot.
But God knows what he is doing. And his plans are good. Which we may see in distant future maybe, answers to questions - why?
(I have some clues - why.)

Soon, I will get married to a good man. He helps me a lot. He also suffered great loss in his life.
Never lose hope however painful and unendurable it is, God knows what he is doing, and that there will be brighter future.

And... it may be a way how he forms people too, for some purpose we do not know yet....
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

1over137 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 am

I can confirm this.

I did not want Tomas to die.
We longed for having children.
And I do not want to suffer the way I suffer right now because some people hurted me a lot and it still hurts hell a lot.
But God knows what he is doing. And his plans are good. Which we may see in distant future maybe, answers to questions - why?
(I have some clues - why.)

Soon, I will get married to a good man. He helps me a lot. He also suffered great loss in his life.
Never lose hope however painful and unendurable it is, God knows what he is doing, and that there will be brighter future.

And... it may be a way how he forms people too, for some purpose we do not know yet....
Yes, I thought of you with this topic so thanks for sharing :)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:22 pm Ness, it sounds like you can personally very much identify with some sort of similar pain?
Yes, but I think we all have to face it sooner or later....

But I also think we are poor at knowing what we want. And oh so fickle. And also we want xyz but not the consequences :econfused:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Also this question is to atheists who don't get what you want. How do you handle it?

God never promised that THIS life would be good or that we would get everything we asked for.
He never promised that just because we believe that we get everything we ask for.
We are no more or no less than anyone else.
We are mortal and we suffer and die, all of us.
I take comfort in knowing that Jesus went through ALL that we go through, and more.
He KNOWS. and we KNOW that He knows.
We have hope and we have love, HIS love that is eternal.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Talking about Job and a man in pain...

this is to the topic, I watched it recently

Lot to learn from Ravi
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart