Help Me Choose a Prophecy Book

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Help Me Choose a Prophecy Book

Post by Stu »

Been looking into getting a book about Biblical prophecy and have got it down to these two.

Exploring Bible Prophecy from Genesis to Revelation: Clarifying the Meaning of Every Prophetic Passage (Tim LaHaye Prophecy Library™)
Every Prophecy of the Bible: Clear Explanations for Uncertain Times 

The only problem I have with "Exploring Bible Prophecy from Genesis to Revelation: Clarifying the Meaning of Every Prophetic Passage" is that one of the authors believes in the pre-trib rapture (which I don't) so a couple of the prophecies interpretations I might disagree with. Or what do you think.

If there are any other books out there that you guys would recommend above these, let me know as well.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Help Me Choose a Prophecy Book

Post by RickD »

Harold Camping 1994

I recommend this book because Camping's predictions were so blatantly absurd. I recommend smoking a joint before reading, to make it more enjoyable.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 am Harold Camping 1994

I recommend this book because Camping's predictions were so blatantly absurd. I recommend smoking a joint before reading, to make it more enjoyable.
88 reasons Why The Rapture Will Be in 1988
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm
RickD wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 am Harold Camping 1994

88 reasons Why The Rapture Will Be in 1988
I wonder if it will prove to be accurate. y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Stu: The only problem I have with "Exploring Bible Prophecy from Genesis to Revelation: Clarifying the Meaning of Every Prophetic Passage" is that one of the authors believes in the pre-trib rapture (which I don't) so a couple of the prophecies interpretations I might disagree with. Or what do you think.
Why would you be married to ANY end times system NOW - as presently, every single end times scenario written about hinges upon currently unknowable variables - ALL of them - doesn't mater which one! See how Michael Heiser lays out the problem - it's detailed and has multiple parts: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42557&p=238810#p238810
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Stu wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 am Been looking into getting a book about Biblical prophecy and have got it down to these two.

Exploring Bible Prophecy from Genesis to Revelation: Clarifying the Meaning of Every Prophetic Passage (Tim LaHaye Prophecy Library™)

The only problem I have with "Exploring Bible Prophecy from Genesis to Revelation: Clarifying the Meaning of Every Prophetic Passage" is that one of the authors believes in the pre-trib rapture (which I don't) so a couple of the prophecies interpretations I might disagree with. Or what do you think.

If there are any other books out there that you guys would recommend above these, let me know as well.

I say that you should read any prophecy books that you find interesting.However from my research into bible prophecy through the years I have realized a glaring problem with most bible prophecy teachers that I think you should be aware of.There is nothing wrong with getting into bible prophecy and trying to better understand God's word when it comes to prophecy and the end-times,despite the critics.

The critics have a very good reason to doubt bible prophecy because of all of the false prophets out there that have given bible prophecy a bad name.The reason we have had so many false prophets as it relates to bible prophecy is because of this problem I'm getting at that you need to be aware of when you get into bible prophecy.

This is the problem that so many have made and it is that they skim over bible prophecies that must be fulfilled before other prophecies can be fulfilled.They'll focus on one thing as it relates to bible prophecy and the end-times and skim over other things that must happen before the tribulation can even start.

But because they are focused on just part of the picture it causes them to warn everybody get ready,We are in the tribulation,Jesus is coming soon.When it is really impossible for the tribulation to start until certian prophecies are fulfilled and in place so that the things that are to happen in the tribulation can be fulfilled.A good bible prophecy teacher will just let the truth of God's word be known as it relates to bible prophecy but will wait and not go out on a limb prophesying things without confirmation that it can be fulfilled.

One of the things that sticks out to me that gets skimmed over as it relates to bible prophecy is that the 3rd temple must be built and the jews must be sacrificing animals in that temple before the tribulation can even start. Because the tribulation is a seven year period and in the middle of the tribulation the anti-christ goes into this temple and stops the animal sactficing and claims he is God. I have seen many bible prophecy teachers totally ignore this prophecy that must be fulfilled in order for the tribulation to even start and yet they'll claim things like we are in the tribiulation period and the end is coming,get ready,etc,which is impossible.

So do read prophecy books but as you learn about prophecies do not skim over prophecies that must be fulfilled before other propjecies can be fulfilled. Once we see a jewish temple and jews in it with the ark of the covenant sacrificing animals then we can say we can enter into the tribulation at any time,but not until then. And this is just one prophecy that gets skimmed over so just be aware of things like this as you research bible prophecy.

Also why do you reject the pre-trib rapture?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Abe: "the 3rd temple must be built and the jews must be sacrificing animals in that temple before the tribulation can even start.
Is it a PHYSICAL structure built by men - or is it not perhaps another kind of temple???

1 Cor 3:16

16 Do you not know that you (plural – the church) are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you (plural) are that temple.

1 Cor 6:19-20

19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Ephesians 2:13-22

13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. 17 And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.
Abe: Also why do you reject the pre-trib rapture?
Read Heiser's links - and you should realize that NO prophetic endtimes scenario can currently be accurately understood, because they ALL hinge upon key, currently unknowable things!
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

abelcainsbrother wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm
Stu wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 am Been looking into getting a book about Biblical prophecy and have got it down to these two.

I say that you should read any prophecy books that you find interesting.However from my research into bible prophecy through the years I have realized a glaring problem with most bible prophecy teachers that I think you should be aware of.There is nothing wrong with getting into bible prophecy and trying to better understand God's word when it comes to prophecy and the end-times,despite the critics.

The critics have a very good reason to doubt bible prophecy because of all of the false prophets out there that have given bible prophecy a bad name.The reason we have had so many false prophets as it relates to bible prophecy is because of this problem I'm getting at that you need to be aware of when you get into bible prophecy.

This is the problem that so many have made and it is that they skim over bible prophecies that must be fulfilled before other prophecies can be fulfilled.They'll focus on one thing as it relates to bible prophecy and the end-times and skim over other things that must happen before the tribulation can even start.

But because they are focused on just part of the picture it causes them to warn everybody get ready,We are in the tribulation,Jesus is coming soon.When it is really impossible for the tribulation to start until certian prophecies are fulfilled and in place so that the things that are to happen in the tribulation can be fulfilled.A good bible prophecy teacher will just let the truth of God's word be known as it relates to bible prophecy but will wait and not go out on a limb prophesying things without confirmation that it can be fulfilled.

One of the things that sticks out to me that gets skimmed over as it relates to bible prophecy is that the 3rd temple must be built and the jews must be sacrificing animals in that temple before the tribulation can even start. Because the tribulation is a seven year period and in the middle of the tribulation the anti-christ goes into this temple and stops the animal sactficing and claims he is God. I have seen many bible prophecy teachers totally ignore this prophecy that must be fulfilled in order for the tribulation to even start and yet they'll claim things like we are in the tribiulation period and the end is coming,get ready,etc,which is impossible.

So do read prophecy books but as you learn about prophecies do not skim over prophecies that must be fulfilled before other propjecies can be fulfilled. Once we see a jewish temple and jews in it with the ark of the covenant sacrificing animals then we can say we can enter into the tribulation at any time,but not until then. And this is just one prophecy that gets skimmed over so just be aware of things like this as you research bible prophecy.

Yeah thanks, I'm talking about all prophecy though, not just ones that haven't been fulfilled also ones that have been. I'm just very curious as to what has been said past and future.

As for the rapture, it's just what I've come to believe over the years.

Here is a very good video describing why the pre-trib rapture is wrong. Try and watch at least the first 20min (it's 30min long) as he goes into scripture after an intro.

Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

Philip wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:49 pm
Abe: "the 3rd temple must be built and the jews must be sacrificing animals in that temple before the tribulation can even start.
Is it a PHYSICAL structure built by men - or is it not perhaps another kind of temple???

1 Cor 3:16

16 Do you not know that you (plural – the church) are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you (plural) are that temple.

1 Cor 6:19-20

19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
The "temple of God" in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 that Apostle Paul said the coming false one will sit in and proclaim himself as God, has nothing to do with the spiritual temple concept that Paul taught. Nor does it relate to the literal temple John was told to measure in Revelation 11 for the end.

The reason why the spiritual temple does not work applied to those prophecies is because the spiritual temple per Ephesians 2 is built upon the foundation of the Apostles and prophets, with our Lord Jesus as the Cornerstone. It cannot be corrupted by any man nor any thing. An antichrist can't even belong to it because of their corruption. If a believer falls away, they are even cut off from the spiritual temple under Christ Jesus.

Just by understanding that no man or thing can corrupt our Lord Jesus' true Church represented in The Spirit, that ought to be enough to know someone pushing the lie of the spiritual temple being able to be corrupted by a false one is a false doctrine of men, and did not come from God.
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

I was hoping someone here would come out and say it, but only abelcainsbrother came close, and you've probably already heard this before.

If... you study all of God's Word, line upon line, chapter by chapter, asking our Heavenly Father through His Son for understanding in it, and then discipline yourself in it like Paul told Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15, then you will be able to understand a lot more than what any prophecy book can teach you.

Moreover, God's Word is The Living Word. The Holy Spirit is always revealing new things in God's Word as we study, and events come to pass. Our Lord Jesus' Revelation is wide open today for those who study and ask Him for understanding. It was revealed there that only Jesus is able to open the Seals to us, so that means we need to be listening to Him and not man.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 am
abelcainsbrother wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah thanks, I'm talking about all prophecy though, not just ones that haven't been fulfilled also ones that have been. I'm just very curious as to what has been said past and future.

As for the rapture, it's just what I've come to believe over the years.

Here is a very good video describing why the pre-trib rapture is wrong. Try and watch at least the first 20min (it's 30min long) as he goes into scripture after an intro.

I have listened to bible prophecy teachers that reject the rapture but here is the reason I believe in the rapture.Keep in mind,that right now I don't have scripture right now to back me up about this so I'm going from memory. But the reason why I believe in the rapture is because of what the bible says will happen to Christians during the tribulation.It gets skimmed over by most bible prophecy teachers but when the tribulation is here if you are a Christian and do not take the mark of the beast you will be hunted down and slaughtered in the most gruesome ways we have NEVER seen before.I'm talking about them tracking you down coming to your house grabbing you and beating and raping you then forcing you to watch as they rape your wife and slaughter your kids in front of you and then kill you. The bible tells us the anti-christ will wear out the Saints and that we will see the souls of them that were killed for not taking the mark of the beast. This is why I believe in the rapture.God has not appointed his church to wrath like that.So the rapture will happen for those ready Matthew 25 and those who are not ready and are left behind because of no oil in their lamps will die for their faith in Christ in horrible ways we have never seen. These prophecies get skimmed over but they are in both the old and new testaments. It is not good if you are in the tribulation and are a Christian. There is no hunkering down in a survival bunker and waiting out the trib. You will die for your faith in Christ if you are left behind and then you realize it and you refuse to take the mark.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.