Shark

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Blessed
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Shark

Post by Blessed »

This post belongs on a surfing forum but they would not appreciate it as much so I figured I would post it here.

I went surfing today. The waves were 3-4 feet. Perfect fun peelers. Very fun. Felt very good. The water was clean and cold. I moved back to Florida to be closer to family and get back into surfing.

Anyways I paddled out and after about 30 minutes a large bull shark broke the water about 25 feet away from me and slowly swam straight at me then veered off to the right and dissapeared. Worse - I was far out alone and nobody was around. Surfing alone sucks - because if it's gonna happen a second surfer at least gives you a 50/50 chance.

It was swimming really slow and straight. Like it was investigating what I was.I kicked the surface of the water as hard as I could as a "warning" to it (in vain) as it was turning - then I paddled in. 20 feet from the beach my heart was pounding so fast I was worried it would explode.

f*** does all this weird s*** keep happening to me for? I also discovered the mechanic busted my Land Rover master brake cylinder he cracked the reservoir stem and the brake fluid was almost GONE. ABS unit is malfunctioning so he does did a cheap BS patch job says it was fixed and charges $2,000.00. Bastard.

Had I not thought to check the brake fluid myself ..I could have rear ended someone, hurt someone or worse . Brake fluid was almost gone. a half inch left... now this with a shark...WTF.

Is there a way to change my screen name on this website?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Shark

Post by Kurieuo »

Are you like a pathological liar? You always have what appear to be long stories.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Kurieuo wrote:Are you like a pathological liar? You always have what appear to be long stories.
No. But I am a pathological loner.

You know, My entire life, I've tried to communicate with people. That's all I wanted to do. Communicate, understand, and be understood. That's all I wanted. For people to "get" me. But I always feel they don't ever get me. Or understand me. No matter how many details I provide. No matter how much I talk. I feel I can never get through to anyone.

I guess the trick is, when you're forced to be human, and live amougst the simple minded, the trick is to talk in simple, easy to understand words and sentences to "relate". People hate stories and details. But they love jingles.

You know, when I was young, growing up in Florida, I was always made to feel like I was the idiot. As if something was wrong with me. For instance, one day, I went to buy some Avocados at a Shell gas station with a produce section, it was like a gas station with a produce "store", apart from the gas sation, the place is now out of business. Well some stupid redneck was working there. I said 'Hello sir, Nice Avacados, where are these from?" and he says "Gee I don't know ... from an Avacado Tree?!" In an abruptive, thick, nasty, West Virginia accent.

So you see... I was asking where they were from, and he was answering me where they were from. As though I was a complete and utter idiot. This man was 40+ years old and working at a gas station for what was, at that time, about $5.25 cents per hour.

People have the attention span of a goldfish. That's my answer to your question.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Blessed wrote:You know, when I was young, growing up in Florida, I was always made to feel like I was the idiot. As if something was wrong with me. For instance, one day, I went to buy some Avocados at a Shell gas station with a produce section, it was like a gas station with a produce "store", apart from the gas sation, the place is now out of business. Well some stupid redneck was working there. I said 'Hello sir, Nice Avacados, where are these from?" and he says "Gee I don't know ... from an Avacado Tree?!" In an abruptive, thick, nasty, West Virginia accent.
:lol: Well, they are from trees. Pretty silly question. :poke:

Seriously, people take rudeness to heart too much, that includes myself. In reality, this guy means nothing to you. It'd have been good if you followed up with a question, "Do you know where they're going?" Then thrown them at him and walked out. :P

When I do catch someone having a go at me, and stand up for myself even rather aggressively so with words, I find I have little regret after. It's when I think about what I could have said in return, or realising after the fact I was taken advantage of, that can really eat away at me.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Blessed wrote:People have the attention span of a goldfish. That's my answer to your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuvF113uty4
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Blessed wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Are you like a pathological liar? You always have what appear to be long stories.
No. But I am a pathological loner.

You know, My entire life, I've tried to communicate with people. That's all I wanted to do. Communicate, understand, and be understood. That's all I wanted. For people to "get" me. But I always feel they don't ever get me. Or understand me. No matter how many details I provide. No matter how much I talk. I feel I can never get through to anyone.
I can relate to that. I prefer animals to people most of the time. You dont need to pretend, or explain, with animals, they just know. Maybe, sometimes you try too hard to be heard.
Blessed wrote:I guess the trick is, when you're forced to be human, and live amougst the simple minded, the trick is to talk in simple, easy to understand words and sentences to "relate". People hate stories and details. But they love jingles.
Or maybe not be quite so condescending?
Blessed wrote:You know, when I was young, growing up in Florida, I was always made to feel like I was the idiot. As if something was wrong with me. For instance, one day, I went to buy some Avocados at a Shell gas station with a produce section, it was like a gas station with a produce "store", apart from the gas sation, the place is now out of business. Well some stupid redneck was working there. I said 'Hello sir, Nice Avacados, where are these from?" and he says "Gee I don't know ... from an Avacado Tree?!" In an abruptive, thick, nasty, West Virginia accent.

So you see... I was asking where they were from, and he was answering me where they were from. As though I was a complete and utter idiot. This man was 40+ years old and working at a gas station for what was, at that time, about $5.25 cents per hour.
Ever heard of humour?
You dont know that he is just some "stupid redneck" you dont know why he was working there. Maybe he liked it, maybe it was his business, you presume he is an idiot because he works in a low paid job?

Blessed wrote:People have the attention span of a goldfish. That's my answer to your question.
You come across in your posts as thinking you are better than everyone else, or that youre hard done by, or that its unfair you dont get what you want.

We tend to attract what we give out, so if youre only getting negative things, well, i will let you ponder that...
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

K: When I do catch someone having a go at me, and stand up for myself even rather aggressively so with words, I find I have little regret after. It's when I think about what I could have said in return, or realising after the fact I was taken advantage of, that can really eat away at me.
That is because of our pride - I constantly find myself caught between my worldly nature of tearing into someone when they truly deserve it, and in responding as Jesus would have us to. I'm not speaking of letting people treat one as a doormat or cause us harm, but the level of our response often has to do with pride ("Not letting that jerk think he can blah, blah, blah.").
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Well, everything in moderation. A sense of pride in one's self can be a good thing perhaps. Like where you say, one shouldn't have so little pride they become a doomat. Isn't it pride which helps to think ourselves important, such that we believe in ourselves, stand up to those who might bully us, rather than live in fear and continue thinking it's alright to let people walk over us. Putting a jerk in their place, is sometimes simply being assertive and teaching them a lesson to think twice before being so insensitive to the next person.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

K: Well, everything in moderation. A sense of pride in one's self can be a good thing perhaps. Like where you say, one shouldn't have so little pride they become a doomat. Isn't it pride which helps to think ourselves important, such that we believe in ourselves, stand up to those who might bully us, rather than live in fear and continue thinking it's alright to let people walk over us. Putting a jerk in their place, is sometimes simply being assertive and teaching them a lesson to think twice before being so insensitive to the next person.
Yes, somewhere, there is a correct balance. I don't think we do people any favors by ignoring their aggressive or obnoxious crap - because they'll likely be encouraged in their bad behaviors. I'm not great at being calm when someone has really ticked me off. It helps if I know what kind of person I'm dealing with. Some types, you just KNOW if you don't get back in their face, they think they can get away with stuff. But if I really let someone get me angry, that's when I can go beyond that line, unfortunately.