Need a little advice

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Need a little advice

Post by RickD »

I drive a box truck 8 hours a day for work. I have a 35-50 minute commute each way.

Lately I'm having a real problem with idiot drivers. Being on the road all day, I'm just finding myself extremely aggravated at times, with lazy morons who aren't paying attention, or just don't care. I've been driving for over 30 years, and for the first time ever, I opened my door, got out of my truck, and screamed at an old man who cut me off twice, and almost ran me off the road. I was so mad that after yelling at him, I really had no idea what I said(think father on Christmas Story trying to fix the furnace in the basement).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may help me? I'm normally a pretty easy going guy, my blood pressure is fine, and otherwise pretty healthy.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Re: Need a little advice

Post by Philip »

Get another job! :P At least you aren't constantly dealing with morons or a micro-managing boss!

But the old bird was probably half senile. My dad was nearly 80 and had really lost his concentration behind the wheel - thankfully he died and so we never had to have that discussion with him, that it's time to give up the keys.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Start carrying a gun, you never know what crazies you'll run into.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Start carrying a gun, you never know what crazies you'll run into.
:pound:

I think I'm the crazy that people run into!
Philip wrote:
Get another job!
Thanks for the good advice. I just texted my boss, and told him I quit! Now I just have to tell the wife. Maybe I can pretend to go to work everyday, and hope she won't notice. y:-?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

RickD wrote:I drive a box truck 8 hours a day for work. I have a 35-50 minute commute each way.

Lately I'm having a real problem with idiot drivers. Being on the road all day, I'm just finding myself extremely aggravated at times, with lazy morons who aren't paying attention, or just don't care. I've been driving for over 30 years, and for the first time ever, I opened my door, got out of my truck, and screamed at an old man who cut me off twice, and almost ran me off the road. I was so mad that after yelling at him, I really had no idea what I said(think father on Christmas Story trying to fix the furnace in the basement).

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may help me? I'm normally a pretty easy going guy, my blood pressure is fine, and otherwise pretty healthy.

I don't know,but it sounds like a pretty easy job.Maybe think about a worse job and having to work and by doing this you come to realize that them crazy drivers are'nt so annoying after all.How would you like to slide boxes full of chicken legs down a roller bench to women who weigh them and then put a sticker on the box for 8 hours? Or watch chicken legs go by and pull out the ones not cut right to be re-cut?$12.40 an hour. Or hang whole chickens on hooks upside down with the breasts facing you one after the other for 8 hours to where your arms are wore out by the end of the day,or chasing chickens down to catch them and if they bite,poop on ya,etc you cannot harm it in anyway? We have many different kinds of jobs at a chicken processing plant.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:I drive a box truck 8 hours a day for work. I have a 35-50 minute commute each way.

I don't know,but it sounds like a pretty easy job.Maybe think about a worse job and having to work and by doing this you come to realize that them crazy drivers are'nt so annoying after all.How would you like to slide boxes full of chicken legs down a roller bench to women who weigh them and then put a sticker on the box for 8 hours? Or watch chicken legs go by and pull out the ones not cut right to be re-cut?$12.40 an hour. Or hang whole chickens on hooks upside down with the breasts facing you one after the other for 8 hours to where your arms are wore out by the end of the day,or chasing chickens down to catch them and if they bite,poop on ya,etc you cannot harm it in anyway? We have many different kinds of jobs at a chicken processing plant.
That sounds great! Are you hiring? I just quit my job, thanks to Philip.
y~:>

-Edward R Murrow

Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

I drive 50 minutes to work each way, into Portland, OR. Oh, the patience I have learned. Oh, the rage I have felt. Oh, the pleasure I get fromm hearing you got out to scream at that person. And, oh, now I'm party to your sin :(. Couldn't help it... :mrgreen:

Use it to learn humility. It's the main lesson He'll teach you when driving. And it will follow into other aspects of your life. Help you deal with things better. But it costs your ego. It'll change you. As they say, 'turn the other cheeck' in this instance, and take the slap. See how you change in response to it. More than humility, it will teach you grace, and how His grace functions (if you follow the path of humility first).
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Just think Rick, women aren't the best drivers. :P What if your wife cut someone off or the like, and then a guy got out of his car and started abusing her? So, next time, just picture it being your wife in the other car. If you get out, ask them to make you a sandwich or something. ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Just think Rick, women aren't the best drivers. :P What if your wife cut someone off or the like, and then a guy got out of his car and started abusing her? So, next time, just picture it being your wife in the other car. If you get out, ask them to make you a sandwich or something. ;)
Cutting someone off once, probably deserves a horn beep. And that's what I normally do. But this guy almost ran me off the highway, then cut me off again about 1/2 mile down the road. I tend to lose my patience when I almost die.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Mallz wrote:

I drive 50 minutes to work each way, into Portland, OR. Oh, the patience I have learned. Oh, the rage I have felt. Oh, the pleasure I get fromm hearing you got out to scream at that person. And, oh, now I'm party to your sin :(. Couldn't help it... :mrgreen:

Use it to learn humility. It's the main lesson He'll teach you when driving. And it will follow into other aspects of your life. Help you deal with things better. But it costs your ego. It'll change you. As they say, 'turn the other cheeck' in this instance, and take the slap. See how you change in response to it. More than humility, it will teach you grace, and how His grace functions (if you follow the path of humility first).
I'm not sure how a lesson in humility is needed, when a guy who wasn't paying attention, almost ran me off the highway.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Make sure you watch out for bridges, sometimes they don't give way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKJTZwjvmj8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Make sure you watch out for bridges, sometimes they don't give way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKJTZwjvmj8
I'd definitely be yelling at that bridge if it got in my way! Old bridges are like old drivers. Idiot bridges.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Cannabis.
LOL.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I used to be like that. It got so bad that I was averaging several road rage fights a week. Practically every month I had either a window smashed in or a screw in a tire. One day my wife asked me why I insist on knowing strangers I'd otherwise never give a second thought to. I sort of adopted that motto from then on. Whenever such incidents occur, my first reaction is 'I don't want to know you'. It's been a few years since my last road rage incident.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Cannabis.
LOL.
Best advice so far.
:toppoints:

-Edward R Murrow