Former Facebook Executive: Social Media is Ripping Society Apart

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Former Facebook Executive: Social Media is Ripping Society Apart

Post by Hortator »

"The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth."

https://youtu.be/78oMjNCAayQ

Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Former Facebook Executive: Social Media is Ripping Society Apart

Post by Philip »

I'd say social media addiction/obsession is mostly making an impact on those very young - or of a certain age - and people with WAY too much time on their hands. Most over 40 might use it for business purposes and networking. But the gossiping, arguing, trolling types - I'd say they are mostly rather young. I never use it! I've got a linked in page, but don't even use that. The idea that I'm going to use electronic means to seek out "friends" or old acquaintances - so absurd and artificial to me. And my oldest son's generation (he's almost 20), they almost never use it.
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Former Facebook Executive: Social Media is Ripping Society Apart

Post by Nicki »

Philip wrote:I'd say social media addiction/obsession is mostly making an impact on those very young - or of a certain age - and people with WAY too much time on their hands. Most over 40 might use it for business purposes and networking. But the gossiping, arguing, trolling types - I'd say they are mostly rather young. I never use it! I've got a linked in page, but don't even use that. The idea that I'm going to use electronic means to seek out "friends" or old acquaintances - so absurd and artificial to me. And my oldest son's generation (he's almost 20), they almost never use it.
Even Instagram? That's what my two are on - I don't let them spend long on it though at this stage. To me social media's good for keeping in touch with people who don't live nearby anymore - like a good friend of mine overseas; I can regularly see photos of her kids and find out about other things she's been up to (other than having kids I guess!) If not for Facebook I suppose we might have had the odd phone call since I moved away (probably mostly her calling me - I'm less sociable in general) and then started to forget or wonder why we were still bothering to keep in touch.

They say it's affecting teenagers' social skills but I would have thought not being able to use their phones all day at school would keep a balance with face-to-face communication. Of course it's different if people are able and inclined to just look at their phones all the time when they could be conversing with others they're actually with. I can't believe a lot of people have so much to text about as well - maybe it's just my lack of friends but I send only a handful of texts a week and most of them are work-related.