Should we tell kids that Santa is real?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Should we tell kids that Santa is real?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Or the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, jack frost, etc.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Should we tell kids that Santa is real?

Post by Hortator »

Richard made a pretty good post about this here: http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/c ... claus.html

I'd post more, but I don't have any kids lol
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

I think not, but I would encourage metaphorical thinking. Jordan B Peterson makes a pretty good argument that the fairy tales kids watch actually tap into deep questions about how to live. For instance, dragons don't literally exist, but stories of slaying dragons actually often say a lot about how to respond to the unknown.

This video (the 2 minutes from 7:35 to 9:54) captures the basic essence of this. https://youtu.be/ZGIU0FtXr9o?t=455

The story that he tells afterwards elaborates on this, and the introduction solidifies the argument against literal, materialist thinking, but those two minutes will tell you how relevant the issue is (or isn't) to you.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Our kids all knew they were made up, I think it was immediately obvious when pointed out. And, it doesn't ruin anything for them, they quite liked being part of the fun in playing tricks on other kids who thought such were real.

As a side, I've tried challenging my kids with the common line that God is made up like Santa, and they're like don't be stupid. I tried convincing them, but they wouldn't go there. It was so easy for them to reject Santa when pointed out, but not so with God. :esmile:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I tell my kids that Santa WAS real ( he was) and that now, the stories we tell are just for fun and that there is nothing wrong with pretending and playing as long as we all know that it is just pretending and having fun.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

From the time my boys could talk, we made sure they knew Santa is a figure that has been mythologized, and that Christmas is a celebration about Jesus. But we still had fun with Santa stuff - almost like an Easter egg hunt - have fun with it, but know the true and REAL meaning of the day. But we instructed them to not be smartypants and ruin it for other kids not so enlightened by their parents. My MIL, who reveled in the Santa stuff with kids, would have been angry and mortified to know our kids knew the deal about Santa - she would have thought us cruel, per our theft of a supposed magic of childhood. But I know the boys now (at 18 and 13) respect that we've always told them the truth about such things. They were told about sex WAY before their peers knew. So, it was never a big deal later.
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Philip wrote:From the time my boys could talk, we made sure they knew Santa is a figure that has been mythologized, and that Christmas is a celebration about Jesus. But we still had fun with Santa stuff - almost like an Easter egg hunt - have fun with it, but know the true and REAL meaning of the day. But we instructed them to not be smartypants and ruin it for other kids not so enlightened by their parents. My MIL, who reveled in the Santa stuff with kids, would have been angry and mortified to know our kids knew the deal about Santa - she would have thought us cruel, per our theft of a supposed magic of childhood. But I know the boys now (at 18 and 13) respect that we've always told them the truth about such things. They were told about sex WAY before their peers knew. So, it was never a big deal later.
That was basically what I did about Santa. My parents did the pretend thing with us which I loved as a youngish child (they called him Father Christmas though, in the British tradition) so it was sad to me in a way that my kids didn't have that. I tend to prefer to be very truthful with them generally though and not even kid them about something for long. Regarding the Easter bunny, that was never a thing in my family - we certainly ate Easter eggs but were never told the Easter bunny brought them - so that was a non-issue for me. I've heard of Christian parents following some of these mythologies with their children but it doesn't really sit right with me.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I'm OK with parents telling their kids Santa is real as long as they make sure to also explain that it is Jesus's birthday.I see no effect on Christians who believed in Santa and those who don't as far as their faith in Jesus.I think it robs kids of the fun of Christmas in their younger years if we don't believe in Santa.There is something special to see a kid race to the Christmas tree on Christmas morning to see what gifts Santa brought them,plus the cookies and milk he drank,and also the stockings he filled.As long as kids know the true meaning behind Christmas I see no harm.But to each their own.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Is it ok to tell kids about the Gap Theory?

What happens when they reach the age of 3, and realize it isn't true?

:mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

RickD wrote:Is it ok to tell kids about the Gap Theory?

What happens when they reach the age of 3, and realize it isn't true?

:mrgreen:
When it comes to creation interpretations I believe all should be considered honestly and truthfully.As far as Santa, I think it is beyond the age of 3 before they start questioning whether or not Santa is real.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.