Christian Hedonism

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Christian Hedonism

Post by Nessa »

Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christian Hedonism

Post by Philip »

Are we to not pursue pleasure unless it is selfless or has benefit for others? I would say that there needs to be a balance. We surely are not to be the narcissists so many are. But God built a world of delights and beauty to pursue that can bring us great satisfaction. The danger is that we begin walking around with some supposed spiritual scale to constantly measure what is what, and what motivations there might be in pursuing whatever thing. It can all spiral into varying opinions of individual legalisms.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I am reminded of something Tony Robbins once said..

We move towards pleasure and away from pain...

For my own Christian walk (or rather stumble) it is anything but pleasurable but I have been thinking how wrong that is.

It should be pleasurable. Our relationship with God should be extremely pleasurable.

The world tries to tell us what will bring us pleasure... Alot of great sex... Money.... Fame... Beauty
And people can look at Christianity and think booooooring.

And maybe thats partly because it so easy to portray the Christian walk as a duty. A daily grind. I must be selfless! Deny self!

I would love for someone to ask me why I'm so happy..(and for it to be my relationship with God)
Not what the heck is making me so miserable :P

Just my thoughts really.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Psalm 16:11
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I think it's foolishness, trying to market Christianity in a new wrapper better suited to secularism.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Some people try to do that for sure. That guy John Crowder tokes the Holy Spirit like its a drug and gets 'high' In a sorta competition with what the world has to offer.

I'm talking about what was already there in the beginning. A christian relationship with God thats pleasurable. Your circumstances could stuck but still there are eternal pleasures we can experience now.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

The Bible speaks of two kinds of pleasure. There is the pleasure which comes from sin, which we can enjoy now but which will not last. There is the pleasure which will come in the end to those who put God first in their lives. We may have to wait before we can enjoy this pleasure but when it does come it will never end.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:The Bible speaks of two kinds of pleasure. There is the pleasure which comes from sin, which we can enjoy now but which will not last. There is the pleasure which will come in the end to those who put God first in their lives. We may have to wait before we can enjoy this pleasure but when it does come it will never end.
Theophilus' wife: "Theophilus, lets go to bed and make love."

Theophilus: "Sorry dear. Sex is pleasure. Pleasure comes from sin. No can do."

:shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
theophilus wrote:The Bible speaks of two kinds of pleasure. There is the pleasure which comes from sin, which we can enjoy now but which will not last. There is the pleasure which will come in the end to those who put God first in their lives. We may have to wait before we can enjoy this pleasure but when it does come it will never end.
Theophilus' wife: "Theophilus, lets go to bed and make love."

Theophilus: "Sorry dear. Sex is pleasure. Pleasure comes from sin. No can do."

:shakehead:
Close your eyes and think of the inlaws? Might solve the pleasure dilema :P

I totally disagree that we have to wait to experience Godly pleasures. Rather our pleasure will be complete once we are with God. He has not left us without a table of delights to snack on until the main meal ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1 Timothy 6:17
Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.
Let's see...

God richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.

Doesn't sound like pleasure comes from sin. It almost sounds like pleasure is from God.

Nah...what was I thinking? :roll:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony