Grammar question

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Grammar question

Post by Philip »

No worries, if we meet on the street, I will slow down so the slipstream from my beamer doesnt knock you off your bicycle.
:pound:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Proverbs 21:9 "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop,than with a brawling woman in a wide house."

"Be good, sweet maid, and let who will be clever". Your ideal woman, no doubt.
Someone smarter and more educated is a threat.
Wrong!
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Proverbs 21:9 "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop,than with a brawling woman in a wide house."

Wrong!

You may not have ideals; otherwise, it is exactly right
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:

A threat to what? My wife is more educated than I am, and I don't feel threatened by her.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Audie wrote:

Wrong!

You may not have ideals; otherwise, it is exactly right
You're still wrong! Proverbs 31:10-31
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Only a woman would be so pedantic. (notice it was largely the women who seemed to really point out something wrong here?)

Do what I do when I get fed up with such "pedanticism", get a beer out of the fridge, kick your feet up and watch something on tv. Then if she tries to interrupt your zone by talking, you could interrupt her back with an "are my sandwiches ready yet?" Just be prepared to bunk with the dog, while perhaps not as comfortable it is more peaceful.

You dont like pedantrianism?

Pwedantisticalness? Or is it just that you didnt like your middle school English teacher.

What on earth other than that is it that you bible dissectors and philosophy talkers do?

Ardy bills himself as the grammar cop, so when he made a mistake, I twitted him for it.

He could have let it go, or corrected himself but being a guy and all..

So a buncha henchmen jump int to support him, all of them just as wrong; I should
be a good girl and say might makes right? Ha.
Someone edited their post. Can I hear you say "ped-ant-ic"!? Don't worry, not necessary. y=;
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
crackpot
Familiar Member

Post by crackpot »

Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:I hope we never meet in real life. Not because you are smarter or more educated, but because you are so arrogant and cocky in sharing that knowledge of yours. Pathetic.
No worries, if we meet on the street, I will slow down so the slipstream from my beamer doesnt knock you off your bicycle.
BMWs are overrated and not worth the money they sell for. Dumb broads buy beamers.

Smart women with adequate income buy Lexus.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crackpot wrote:
Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:I hope we never meet in real life. Not because you are smarter or more educated, but because you are so arrogant and cocky in sharing that knowledge of yours. Pathetic.
BMWs are overrated and not worth the money they sell for. Dumb broads buy beamers.

Smart women with adequate income buy Lexus.
BMW's are Bimmers, not beamers. I don't dare ask what a beamer is.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I asked on a grammar website, and this is the response I got:
Nick is trying to illustrate what is normally the usage of the perfect tense in order to separate the order of events into chronological order (to show that A happened before B when both happened in the past,) but because the direct object clause is a paraphrase, the paraphrase is not required to be tensed out. Further still, the fact of a sequential adverb such as "then" causes sequence of events to be clear, and the perfect tense remains optional. You only are required to use the perfect tense to sequence events if the surrounding words outside of the verb do not clarify, at which point the verb becomes the determining factor.
So Audie,

Put that in your pipe and smoke it! y[-(

-Edward R Murrow

crackpot
Familiar Member

Post by crackpot »

RickD wrote: I don't dare ask what a beamer is.
A beamer is a BMW with a Chinese accent. Doh.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crackpot wrote:
I think you mean a Hyundai Accent. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
crackpot wrote:
I think you mean a Hyundai Accent. ;)

Ooooooooooh now you are gonna get it!!!
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:I asked on a grammar website, and this is the response I got:
Nick is trying to illustrate what is normally the usage of the perfect tense in order to separate the order of events into chronological order (to show that A happened before B when both happened in the past,) but because the direct object clause is a paraphrase, the paraphrase is not required to be tensed out. Further still, the fact of a sequential adverb such as "then" causes sequence of events to be clear, and the perfect tense remains optional. You only are required to use the perfect tense to sequence events if the surrounding words outside of the verb do not clarify, at which point the verb becomes the determining factor.
So Audie,

Oh dear, "education" has failed somewhere.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
So Audie,

In Australia.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
So Audie,

In Australia.
I was thinking more north/north-west of here, or is it more north-east east of here? :scratch: