Are babies born atheists?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Are babies born atheists?

Post by Nessa »

One of David's Smalley's top reasons for being an atheist from my last thread is that all babies are born atheists. Religion is cultural etc.

All babies are Atheists. Religions are taught depending on the location and era in which you are raised. Being born in the U.S. in 1974 does not make you right, it most likely just makes you another Christian. That’s no better or worse than the person born in Tibet in 1955, who proudly worships the Dalai Lama

So my question is do you believe babies are born atheists or possibly agnostics?
Last edited by Nessa on Sun May 01, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Re: Are babies born atheists?

Post by IceMobster »

They obviously do not have free will to choose God (not at such an age, anyway).
However, there is no doubt that humans have congenital notion of God's existence.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Sun May 01, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:I don't know exactly how it all works but I think every person, regardless of age, gets to choose to be with God for eternity or not. A baby that dies still has a choice somehow because I don't believe anyone will be in heaven without a choice.
I don't think babies think the way we do.... Anyway, even though I really don't like this sentence, I suppose: "It's a part of His plan." if they die during birth or "before their time".

"Regardless of age", does it cover people who died or just the living ones?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

A baby cannot understand the reasons for the need to be saved, nor the Gospel. It's not that they are born atheists - as an atheist is one who has considered what can be known about the possibility of God's existence and they have determined He does not exist. Romans 1 seems to suggest that all become aware of God's existence, at some point, but many suppress it:

"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,7 in the things that have been made." This is also called the "General Revelation." This does not mean that men automatically know of the Gospel.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Sun May 01, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Sun May 01, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa, while the Bible doesn't specifically detail what happens to children, infants, the severely mentally handicapped, etc. What we DO know is God's desire is ALL be saved and reconciled to Him - but, again, that takes cognitive ability to be able to RESPOND in understanding and in faith. God doesn't insist people do what they can't do or understand enough to do, but what they CAN understand and do ( know the Gospel, to believe/have faith in Christ). The categories of people I reference (above) can't properly understand what is necessary - to understanding the Gospel, their own sin and responsibility, or their awareness that they are resisting or rejecting God. I believe there are good Scriptural reasons that these do go to Heaven when they die.

Perhaps, why the Bible doesn't specifically say "all young children or babies, etc. who die go to Heaven" is that some people, no doubt, would pervert that into an excuse to abort or kill their children - horrible, I know. But, also very interesting is that the Bible also doesn't say about such persons, that "some" or "any" of them DON'T go to Heaven. It remains silent, excepting for circumstantial evidence that would strongly suggest they are in Heaven. As for an "Age of Accountability," that is no CERTAIN age, varying from person to person, upon reaching a certain level of understanding/ability to repent and have faith.

Here is a very detailed Scriptural study of the issue, by Norman Geisler, one of the world's most respected evangelical theologians:

https://www.jashow.org/articles/uncateg ... ts-part-1/

https://www.jashow.org/articles/uncateg ... ts-part-2/

https://www.jashow.org/articles/uncateg ... ts-part-3/
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Sun May 01, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa, when I say God desires all be saved, I'm not speaking to universalism, as clearly He states that FAITH in Christ is essential to salvation. But as you say God communicates beyond a baby's understanding, that they still must choose - I would question 1) if they must and 2) are they so capable? Again, concerning such, Scripture is silent - why, I can only speculate, as this clearly is a question many Christians have. David clearly thought his deceased child with Bathsheba was with the Lord.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Sun May 01, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Children are more spiritually aware than adults. When children 'wake up', they fall asleep. I've repeated experiments with the children I work with communicating more spiritually than physically, talking about Jesus and their relationship with Him. Babies love Jesus. To the point when we are spiritually talking about Him, their eyes fixed on mine, not blinking and smiling as another nurse is jamming a needle into them to start an IV. No crying; just smiling. And later when they need a minor poke and I'm not there to 'talk' to them (I see them focus on Him), they cry and parents immediately wake up, and much tears and anguish. It kind of adds a new level of responsibility when you go to work. And in an area where Jesus is usually not welcome.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Jesus Loves The Little Children Of The World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52j9JhkheeE
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

What the?

Nessa, where'd all your posts in this thread go?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

And no, babies aren't born atheists.

Atheism is a belief that God or gods doesn't/don't exist. I don't think new born babies have the capability to have such a belief.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony