Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 556 times
Been liked: 303 times

Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#1

Post by Nessa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:55 pm

I would probably be, yes.
These users liked this post by Nessa:
patrick (Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:19 am)

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21080
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 1048 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#2

Post by RickD » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Define "pro-gay".
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 556 times
Been liked: 303 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#3

Post by Nessa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:49 pm

RickD wrote:Define "pro-gay".
You would see it as possibly a 'different' lifestyle BUT no more right or wrong than the hetrosexual one. Also you might even consider the possibility of experimenting yourself? :shock: :lol:

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8199
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 611 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#4

Post by Philip » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 pm

It would appear that Nessa was more bored today than usual. :roll:

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 556 times
Been liked: 303 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#5

Post by Nessa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 pm

.

User avatar
patrick
Established Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:59 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#6

Post by patrick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:54 am

I kinda see homosexuality as more of a "what you do is your business" thing rather than a good thing from a secular point of view. I've never really seen it as equal, and I think sexualizing someone as a means of connecting is confusing intimacy with sex. But if someone feels only attracted to people of the same sex, that's no bigger a waste of time than the many other things people do.

Honestly though, I think homosexuality is fine for non-Christians. If someone rejects Jesus their spiritual sins, the sins that don't affect others, aren't going to change things one way or the other. I just have a problem with "gay marriage." I thought most of them would see that as interchangeable with a civil union, but I had a transgendered friend of mine say that marriage is a holy union independent of Christianity. Which was interesting -- I actually agree with that part -- but I disagree that gay marriage is holy.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21080
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 1048 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#7

Post by RickD » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:13 am

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:Define "pro-gay".
You would see it as possibly a 'different' lifestyle BUT no more right or wrong than the hetrosexual one. Also you might even consider the possibility of experimenting yourself? :shock: :lol:
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Then to answer your question, I have no idea what I would've done if I weren't a believer.


I've never had a sexual attraction to men, so probably not. But who knows?

Nessa,

Please try to get some sleep. :shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 328 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#8

Post by Storyteller » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:20 am

Yes.

And I was.

I used to think there was absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality, and to a certain degree I still hold that view. I don`t want to label someone as wrong just because of their sexual orientation but I now do appreciate that it isn`t natural. That sometimes love can be misguided. I used to say how can you say love is wrong? But then, what if someone loves animals, or children in a sexual way? I`ve just said love can`t be wrong! Obviously it can.

However, I don`t think homosexuality is any more of an obstacle to Christianity as any other sin really.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9027
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 338 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#9

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:01 am

No, I would not be "pro-gay" in the sense that I would see it as a "good thing" since biologically and evolutionarily speaking, it is NOT a good thing for the species.
What is not ideal and beneficial for species is NOT a good thing.

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8199
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 611 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#10

Post by Philip » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:53 am

If I were not a Christian, not having God's instructions and guidance as my moral compass, who knows what sensibilities and sensualities I might follow. As my moral Compass would be, "There is NO moral compass but my own - I am my own god!" And so WHATEVER I wanted to do, I would.

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 556 times
Been liked: 303 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#11

Post by Nessa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Philip wrote:It would appear that Nessa was more bored today than usual. :roll:
Just out of curiousity, what were you hoping to achieve with the above comment? y:-?

Your 'eye rolling' comments and superiority complex towards others is really getting old with me.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21080
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 1048 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#12

Post by RickD » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Nessa wrote:
Philip wrote:It would appear that Nessa was more bored today than usual. :roll:
Just out of curiousity, what were you hoping to achieve with the above comment? y:-?

Your 'eye rolling' comments and superiority complex towards others is really getting old with me.
Yesterday, bored. Today, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

:mrgreen:
These users liked this post by RickD (total 2):
Storyteller (Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:34 pm) • Philip (Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 pm)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 328 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#13

Post by Storyteller » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:35 pm

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Philip wrote:It would appear that Nessa was more bored today than usual. :roll:
Just out of curiousity, what were you hoping to achieve with the above comment? y:-?

Your 'eye rolling' comments and superiority complex towards others is really getting old with me.
Yesterday, bored. Today, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

:mrgreen:
:pound:
These users liked this post by Storyteller:
Dazedandconfused (Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:42 pm)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 556 times
Been liked: 303 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#14

Post by Nessa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:06 pm

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Philip wrote:It would appear that Nessa was more bored today than usual. :roll:
Just out of curiousity, what were you hoping to achieve with the above comment? y:-?

Your 'eye rolling' comments and superiority complex towards others is really getting old with me.
Yesterday, bored. Today, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

:mrgreen:
While I find you funny too..
And I did wake up on the wrong side of bed...

It's still true :shakehead:
Sorry.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21080
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 1048 times

Re: Christians: Would you be pro-gay if you weren't a christian?

#15

Post by RickD » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Philip wrote:It would appear that Nessa was more bored today than usual. :roll:
Just out of curiousity, what were you hoping to achieve with the above comment? y:-?

Your 'eye rolling' comments and superiority complex towards others is really getting old with me.
Yesterday, bored. Today, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

:mrgreen:
While I find you funny too..
And I did wake up on the wrong side of bed...

It's still true :shakehead:
Sorry.
Is it possible that he was joking, and you misread him?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Post Reply