Suggestion

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Suggestion

Post by jlay »

Review and revise the board rules for starting posts and participating in the discussion forum.
This has happened on the forum several times in the past. You get a new participant and they, for whatever reason, feel compelled to start a thread on every subject that crosses their mind. Nohting personal, but I don't care what color socks your where or what's your favorite Keanu Reeves movie.

This is first and foremost and apologetics forum. I've spent less and less time here because quite frankly I can get better and more meaningful content and discussion on forums that are either better moderated, or open only to Christians who are working to seriously develop their apologetic acumen.

A big culprit you see is people just sharing links and asking, "what do you think?" There is no development of an idea or how it relates to apologetics.

I don't say this to be mean, but seriously guys, it's a mess. When i come here I'll use the 'active topics' search to see what is being currently discussed. Right now the board is being swamped under by David Stones. Now, maybe he's a good guy, I don't know. But his postings are muddying up the forum to the point where it is hard to find any meaningful content and discussion.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Suggestion

Post by neo-x »

Fyi, Nessa is a she.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:Review and revise the board rules for starting posts and participating in the discussion forum.
This has happened on the forum several times in the past. You get a new participant and they, for whatever reason, feel compelled to start a thread on every subject that crosses their mind. Nohting personal, but I don't care what color socks your where or what's your favorite Keanu Reeves movie.

This is first and foremost and apologetics forum. I've spent less and less time here because quite frankly I can get better and more meaningful content and discussion on forums that are either better moderated, or open only to Christians who are working to seriously develop their apologetic acumen.

A big culprit you see is people just sharing links and asking, "what do you think?" There is no development of an idea or how it relates to apologetics.

I don't say this to be mean, but seriously guys, it's a mess. When i come here I'll use the 'active topics' search to see what is being currently discussed. Right now the board is being swamped under by David Stones. Now, maybe he's a good guy, I don't know. But his postings are muddying up the forum to the point where it is hard to find any meaningful content and discussion.
Ouch!

That was harsh jlay!
The forum where Nessa(HER name is Nessa) has been posting, is in general chit chat. And general chit chat is for "Introductions and friendly discussions about anything in general".
So, there's nothing against the board rules about posting general chit chat topics.

Not only did you take a dig at Nessa, but you also took a dig at the moderators of the forum:
Maybe you need to step away from this forum if that's how you feel. I know I've been told by more than a few members in the past, that this forum is no longer a safe place for believers to post.
And this post of yours confirms that.

I'm still shocked that you actually posted this jlay.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

And to be fair, the threads are in the appropriate forums.

And, there is actually some pretty interesting stuff on some of those threads.

I think it`s a good way of getting to know posters.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

That's why I said review and revise. Sorry for voicing my opinion. Seems I'm the only one not welcome to do such.
Maybe you are right Rick. Later.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

There isn't anything wrong with general chit-chat Jlay, with "fluff".
Sometimes it is good to allow people to "decompress" with silliness.
Personally I don't have a problem with and as a moderator I would only have a problem with it if memberS complained about it.
Typically it is "cross-thread" "contamination" that we worry about in cases like this.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:That's why I said review and revise. Sorry for voicing my opinion. Seems I'm the only one not welcome to do such.
Maybe you are right Rick. Later.
Of course you're welcome to voice your opinion.

But I'm also going to point out where in my opinion, you are wrong.

The posts are in General chit chat. They haven't been an issue in Apologetical forums. At least as far as I can see.

So, threads are in the proper forum.

And then you had to take a dig at the moderating here. That's just inappropriate. You should know that the moderators here all care about doing the best we can. Especially when there's so many differing beliefs. And if you have an issue with any of us, you should bring it to us by pm.

You've been here long enough to know it's not appropriate to take pot shots at the moderators, publicly.

And yes. If you can't refrain from publicly calling out how moderators are moderating here, maybe you need to step away for a while. I said the same thing to Danieltwotwenty when he thought it was appropriate to call out how moderators moderate.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

No, they do not.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

1over137 wrote:No, they do not.
it was an obvious joke and i hid most of the word myself.

so you come on this thread just to tell me off...love it! :pound:
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

To come back to what jlay probably had on mind...

This is from discussion guidelines:
Guest wrote:These discussion guidelines have been developed to outline the purpose of this board and expected conduct of those who participate. Administrators and moderators are responsible for enforcing the rules, and can moderate at their discretion to ensure that the desired spirit at these boards is maintained. Such moderation may include messages being edited or removed with or without warning, and/or posters being suspended or banned.

Site Spamming
SPAMMING THE BOARD WILL NOT HELP YOUR SEARCH ENGINE RANKING! This is because the entire discussion board is off-limits to all search engines and is NOT indexed by any. So, don't bother to post your spam links here.

Board Purpose
This board is a part of Evidence for God from Science (G&S), a Christian website, which serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people and seekers. It is important that everyone who participates on this board is aware of our board purpose.

Language
The God and Science website is rated "family friendly" and for "all ages", so please keep your words clean. Some words considered inappropriate have been blocked, and attempts to get around a blocked word by inserting a space or character will not be tolerated.

Mannerism
Within discussions, please be civil and courteous and do not resort to personal attacks. If you feel inappropriately attacked, please bring such cases privately to a moderator who can then intervene as necessary. While these instructions are likely unnecessary for the vast majority of participants, here is some biblical advice to help serve as a guide for conversations:
  • Write in a manner that you would want others to write to you - "in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you" (Matthew 7:12).
  • "But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth." (Colossians 3:8)
  • "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person." (Colossians 4:6)
  • "In all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, dignified, sound in speech which is beyond reproach, in order that the opponent may be put to shame, having nothing bad to say about us." (Titus 2:7-8)
Constructive Discussions
To have a constructive discussion, there are at least four main requirements:
  1. At Least Two People: This point should be obvious.
  2. A Specific Topic: All conversations should have one specific topic, and as such should remain on that topic. Any new topic that forks out and is too far removed, should be started as a new thread or brought to a moderator's attention.
  3. Knowledge: It is not expected that you should be thoroughly educated on an issue before commenting about it. At the same token, it is impossible for us to know everything. So if a topic is new to you or you don't know much about it, then it is good to spend some time researching to increase your knowledge before writing.
  4. Self-control: Chances are you will disagree with someone, and it is at this point discussions can turn nasty. Please remember to be respectful to others and keep to the topic rather than resorting to personal attacks.
Plagiarism, References, and Misquoting
Plagiarism is not accepted here. Any information gotten from another source must be referenced in some way. In most cases, all that is expected is a single link along with who you quoted. All Bible quotes must also be cited.

The trustworthiness of sources and quality of references should also be determined, otherwise you might end up embarrassed. There are many ideas floating around on the Web, and the quality can generally be judged by where it came from. For example, you should be wary of sources that are predominately "opinionative", don't appear "educated" on the issue, or lack "professionalism". In addition, refrain from continually using references that have already been outrightly shown as false.

Misquoting is also frowned upon and will be cause for intervention by a moderator. It is best to quote an entire sentence, even paragraph if possible. However, quoting a few middle words where the authors intention clearly does not support your case is dishonest so will not be accepted.

General Spamming
Spamming will not be accepted. By "spamming" we mean links advertising commercial or inappropriate websites, posts only containing links, and/or posts containing massive amounts of text uninspiring to discussions. Such posts will be moved into the "Garbage Bin" or deleted by a moderator at their discretion. Active posters wishing to place links to a personal or related website in their signature are welcome to do so.

Moderating
A moderator reserves the right to deal with any post they deem inappropriate, including for reasons not specifically mentioned here. If you feel unjustly dealt with, please contact the moderator in question directly and privately. If you have any questions on issues not covered here, please contact a moderator for advice. Comments regarding these rules of conduct are also welcome as long as they are constructive.
Board Purpose is defense of Christianity.
But we have also General Chit-Chat forum which says it is for discussing anything.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

OK, everyone - let's just take a few deep breaths, switch to decaf - whatever it takes. This forum is more than a mere apologetics forum - at its best, it's also a COMMUNITY of people at different spiritual stages. A lot of the "fluff" and humorous back and forth lightens things up, shows we're not just humorless robots that only debate spiritual topics. Jlay, when you turn on TV, is all you watch is hard news or political forums? Do you not also like to see a funny comedy, a documentary, nature stuff? Jlay, you have been a very important contributor to this forum, but I think you need to lighten up just a bit. And if you had a problem with someone or an issue with the forum, you could have private mailed one of us mods to discuss or criticize. And what WERE you thinking when you very clumsily attacked someone new to the forum that you don't even know - HUGE spiritual influence you'll have with her and others when they read nasty posts like that one. The forum doesn't have to be an EITHER / OR - only serious apologetics are a diversity of topic types and tone - from dead serious to whimsical. Those who don't like our sometimes silly banter don't have to participate in it. It's not as if there aren't a TON of very serious threads that many here are extremely serious about and eager to engage in.

Jlay, I'd say you should put your pride aside and apologize to Nessa - it's the right thing to do. And Nessa, I'm sorry you had to experience this. Not the most mature response to Jlay, but I can understand that you were likely very offended.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Can you see the double standard? You are hung up on one offensive word yet theres a whole post that is allowed to stay FULL of offense. Wheres the editing on that one?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Pm sent

#foreverinmyheart